"new" high end seats

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I wandered through the "high end" baby store this afternoon.

Saw the Recaro Como/Signo IRL. Couple of questions:
How do the "top slots" compare with an MA?

The bottom slots looked good for a larger newborn but the crotch strap seemed really deep (far away from the back of the seat) for a little one. I measured the depth with the length of my hand and it hit my forearm instead of my wrist as most do. Is there another slot I didn't find/has anyone whose actually used the seat noticed this?

First impression is that this seat was rather narrow and would NOT be comfy for a big/chunky/heavy child. Again, what's the experience in actually use? [If I missed the photos, would someone please post the link so I can see older/big kids in the seat?]

There was an IO seat I've never heard of: MIA MOAT/MOTA. (sp?). European I'm assuming because of the name, with funky colors and sold as a travel system w/a jog stroller. [I should have asked if they sold the Keyfit / Keyfit 30 w/o the stroller. Come to think of it, I think ALL of the IO's were displayed as a "system".] What's the scoop on this seat?

They also had the "ORBIT" - very $$, very cool. It swivels on it's base. The base fits flat against the vehicle seat back - not high enough to be a rebound bar, but interesting. [They had it set up in the stroller but with an acrylic "stand" so the CR base was attached to "LATCH anchors" like you would install it in a vehicle.] The literature said the toddler seat was coming 2/08. Apparently it fits on the same base and swivels as well, which leads me to wonder - how to you tether it? Besides, won't the swivel feature be worthless if a tether is used?

Another interesting feature: it doesn't have a hard plastic carry handle. Instead it appears to be two "straps" with lightweight metal or plastic inside "backback fabric" cover.

Fun on a Saturday afternoon.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The Mia Moda is cool, isn't it? :p I love the looks of their strollers.

Here is some information about the Viva (their infant seat).

mia_moda_viva_adriatic.jpg
gallery-slide_6.jpg
fabric_viva_surfer.jpg
fabric_viva_chocolate.jpg
fabric_viva_flame.jpg
fabric_viva_oxford.jpg
fabric_viva_soho.jpg
fabric_viva_tempest.jpg

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the photo. The ol' dial up isn't very good at letting me move between windows. (My apologies. I should have goggled first - Then I'd have had the right name.)

Now that I've done that I clicked on the "Mia Bossi Audrey" thinking it was another seat model. Oh no: :eek: $1,199 for a Diaper Bag - thats 4.8 MA's!!!!. . . LOL!. :eek:

http://www.tinyride.com/Mia-Bossi-Audrey--Sand-P1029.aspx

I can think of at least 1,199 things I'd have on the "must have list" B4 one of these. And it ain't even pretty - just leather.

Mama!

I think I have posted quite a few pics of a larger child in the Como.

Feel free to search my posts. I'll try to find some pics.

FrogJuice

I have the como, we like it, my husband likes it more then me, but I think he just likes the recaro name. I don't like how high the seat sits, it has great side protection, but it does make it a little hard to buckle the kiddos in, we have to loosen and tighten the harness everytime and they have to lean forward to get one arm in at a time. I'm really interested in the new truefits, I think I might order one sometime around feb/march.

here are some pics:

this is DD1 who is 6.5yo and 40pds

Picture30172.jpg

this is dd2 who is 4yo and 30pds

Picture30082.jpg

here she is with the headwings in place

Picture30032.jpg

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The top slots are 19", two inches higher than a Marathon.

The bottom slots are 10", the same as a Marathon. It'd be the long torsoed infant who fit in that at birth.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Mia Moda is from the US...they are trying to fool us with their fancy pants name <giggle>. There's already been a recall on the infant seat....
Orbit is supposedly fantastic...just a snap to install... their toddler seat is coming out soon... http://spillingthebeans.net/?p=732
The Como is very tall...and very narrow... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/Como/photo?authkey=MhWiamcO8vE#5111639649978471794 (we returned it, I didn't like those massive sidewings so I couldn't even see Leah when she was RF in our minivan catty corner behind me...we just use the Radian now. The harness adjuster was as nice as a Roundabout, though... buttery smooth...simply divine... the install was 'almost' as good as a Britax RF..)

:)

Reactions: aja

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC