Thank Goodness For Radian!

ZephyrBlue

The brakes went out in my minivan today and I had to get all 3 kids in the backseat of DH's 92 Toyota Camry. Without the Radian, there is no way I could have gotten 3 seats back there. DS's BV in the center didn't leave much room on either side for a booster (but I was able to get it center, with a FPSV booster and a PW both outboard), but I don't like to put my 31lb almost 5yo in a booster, ever. She's SO tiny. The Radian went in like a dream in the center, on a slight seat hump, with the lap belt, DS's BV outboard and the PW on the other side. I'm loving the Radian more and more on occasions like this when width is an issue.

And on a side note, how the heck do those of you do it who have 3 kids sitting next to one another all the time? We went to PetsMart and to pick up my van and in less than 30 minutes, my 3 were ready to kill one another. I think there would be sibling homicide if they had to sit next to one another like that every day, ugh!! :fencing::dizzy:

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Glad that you had the Radian and could fit all 3 kids in safely! I absolutely hate driving with my 3 across in DH's Neon. We were trying to use that frequently to save on gas - but decided it was NOT worth the kicking, hairpulling, toy throwing that was going on. My 2 year old has some serious "personal space" issues apparently and she did not have enough personal space between her sibs. I am so glad for my Sienna for every day driving.
Renee

dd9736

what I don't understand with 3 across situations, how one parent can get them all in in any semblance of a timely manner.

I went on a road trip with some friends, 4 adults, 8kids, and 2 vehicles. we had the carrier in the middle of the car, with an outboard evenflo ffing/booster combo (harnessed) and a booster (the one with the lights) and we had to put the booster kid in before the carrier, to get him buckled, and then lift the carrier over him. The carrier baby was the only one not normally travelling in that vehicle. one time where only one of my boys would fit (no other seat involved woudl work) and even that was difficult.

sfeitler

what I don't understand with 3 across situations, how one parent can get them all in in any semblance of a timely manner.

I just get mean. "Get in your seat, now. Get your arms in the straps, now. Do it!"

J/k. Most of the time, I only have to fight with the almost-2-year-old. 5yo DD can get in her seat, get her arms in the straps, and wait to be buckled. And her booster-using friends are pretty compliant 'cause we aren't their parents...

And my DDs get along, for which I am thankful daily, since they usually are riding right next to each other.

-Sarah

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yay for the Radian! I really do like that seat. :D

As for the 3-across questions - I used to drive 90 miles round-trip at least once a week with four kids our VW Golf. It gets 40mpg, so the savings was worth it compared to our Astro.

The kids got along because they didn't have an option! Get along or else! Don't make me pull this car over! ;) (Actually, my kids get along fairly well in any case, and I try to keep them well-entertained with audiobooks and Gameboys.)

As for actually buckling them... *sigh* It went like this: Open door, pop driver's seat forward, while DS1 opened the other door and popped the passenger seat forward. Had DD get into her MA in the middle and start buckling herself. Had DS2 get in on the passenger side and into his booster. Had DS3 get in on the driver's side and into his booster.

Ask DS1 to please buckle DS2's booster.

Then, I got in and squatted in front of DS3's booster, turned myself into a pretzel, and reached one hand through the front gap between the booster and the MA with one hand, while reaching the other hand through the top gap between the booster and the MA to buckle it.

On a good day, I was done at that point.

On a bad day.... I'd scooch over to the other side because DS1 was unable to buckle DS2 for whatever reason, and repeat the first buckling process. Then I'd help DD finish buckling because she was goofing around getting situated with her stuffed toy instead of buckling.

All I can say is that I am so very incredibly happy to have my Mazda5 now, and I'm also very thankful that the Golf's front seats practically fold themselves into the dashboard to give me lots of room for that process!

chelle80

Glad your loving your radian more,lol. I love mine.

And on a side note, how the heck do those of you do it who have 3 kids sitting next to one another all the time?

I really couldn't tell you,lol. Most of the time they are pretty good about being side by side, but sometimes they decide not to behave. Usually when that happens i pull the car over(as soon as i safely can) and they get the "mean mommy" voice. They know when "mean mommy" comes out they better act right. There have been a couple of times that when they didn't listen that we turned around and came home, and they know if it was bad enough for me to turn around and come home that they messed up big time will lose any and all privileges for the rest of the day and sometimes the next day too.

I found that what worked best for me was to have the infant seat/RF convertable in the outboard position, that way i can open the big boys door and they climb in and start buckling up, then i take the baby to his side and buckle him in. Then i go back to the other side and check the big boys harness/etc.

When i had my 2 door, i had the infant seat in the middle and i would open the passenger side and let Kaleb in, go around to the driver side and make Dakota sit in the drivers seat while i put the baby seat in, then he got into his seat and i buckled him up and checked Kaleb's harness. That was a major PITA though.

singingpond

And on a side note, how the heck do those of you do it who have 3 kids sitting next to one another all the time? We went to PetsMart and to pick up my van and in less than 30 minutes, my 3 were ready to kill one another. I think there would be sibling homicide if they had to sit next to one another like that every day, ugh!! :fencing::dizzy:

Congrats on fitting the seats! Yeah, the Radian is great for this kind of situation.

As far as having the kids so close to each other, that is a challenge, LOL. When DD was born, I had her infant seat outboard, which meant DS#1 and DS#2 were sitting next to each other. It was sometimes OK, but sometimes a royal PITA, with them encroaching on each other's space, screaming, pushing each other, etc. It's amazing how much one child can annoy the other by quietly putting an elbow or a foot an inch over the perceived 'property line' :rolleyes:. And, my almost 6 y.o. seemed to decline to the immaturity level of his almost 3 y.o. brother, rather than the other way around.

As soon as DD outgrew her Snugride at 5 m.o., I put her in the middle, and peace has pretty much reigned since then. Both her brothers are peaceful toward her, and they can't really reach each other. As she gets older (and more annoying :)), things may change, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

As for 'installing' the kids, that is a bit of a pain, when I stop to think about it. To put DD in, I have to climb in and sit in DS#1's booster while putting her into the center seat. As she gets heavier, I have to be more careful about how I lift her in and out of the car, so that I don't put too much weight on my back at a funny angle. To buckle DS#1's booster, I have to have him hold the extended shoulder belt (so it doesn't try to retract), while I snake one hand in from above to get a few fingers on the buckle and hold it at the proper angle. My arm/shoulder ends up pretty much in his face, but he puts up with that, sometimes with a little grumbling. Then I bring the other hand, holding the seatbelt latch, in through the small space down near the front/side of the booster. Usually I have to tilt the booster out a bit too while buckling. DS cannot possibly buckle himself in. I realized again that this booster buckling technique is really a learned skill, when my mom tried to help DS get into his seat after Christmas dinner. She was pretty puzzled, since she knew the seatbelt had to buckled, but that looked like an impossible task at first glance :).

All in all, I find I've gotten used to the inconveniences, since there isn't an alternative, given the cars we own at the moment...

Oh, and DS#2, whom I've forgotten to mention, is moderately easy to get in, since he is in the other outboard seat. He does have to get in first, though, since I don't trust him (3 y.o.) to stand and wait while I help his sibs into their seats. That, in turn, means I usually keep a stroller handy, to keep DD captive while getting the 3 y.o. into the car (can't lift him in while holding her in a sling). That's not a three-across problem, though, just a typical multiple child problem, LOL. Getting him in/out does usually involve taking shoes on/off also, since he is still RF, and the winter weather leads to messy shoes. I should check sometime how long it actually takes to get all three children in and buckled up. It varies a lot, depending on how cooperative they are, I guess.

Katrin

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Very cool!
Dh always wants to drive in his Escape with the kids three across, and I always balk... I'd rather put the most protected child in the least protected spot (RF baby/10yo in just seatbelt/8yo in Parkway), but the two eldest next to each other is deadly...I have to put the baby in the middle to keep them separated...thank goodness for side airbags!

skaterbabs

Our Suburban needs new tires right now, and the inspection expires tomorrow, so it'll be the 5 of us in the Jeep for a while. The kids will be lucky if I don't strangle them. :p

lovinwaves

Yay for the Radian! I am loving mine more and more everday as well :)

And you were just saying you want a new minivan... :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC