Need new carseats. What do you recommend?

• Thread starter Unregistered--Wendy
  • Start date

uccomama

Senior Community Member
Hi all. I just wanted to ask if anyone could offer any kind of advice regarding car seats for bigger kids. My son is 2 1/2, weighs about 60 lbs and he's tall on top of that. (Dads 6'6 and about 350-400lbs and I'm 5'9 and 180 so we're not small either). Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really like something that has a harness and I'm working on a budget and most of the ones I've seen have been for infants up to 40-50lbs or they're more than what I can pay. Thanks in advance.

What do you have your son in now? Honestly your options are very, very limited and won't be cheap. The only harnessed seat that will work in your particular situation is $200+, the Britax Husky. As your 2.5 year old is already 60 lbs the other higher weight seats (actually pricier then the Husky) max out at 65 lbs, so you really aren't going to get much use out of them to justify the price.

The other option you have is to get one of these, EZ On Kiddy Harness and Ride Rite booster. Both options will require a tether anchor installed in your car, if you don't already have them. The EZ On system can only be installed with a lap belt.

Deborah

Last edited:
ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I second Deborah's suggestions for the Husky & E-Z-On Kid-Y with RideRyte ... we have both & my 3 year old at 40" 30# likes them just as much as her 7 year old sister 52" 58# :) The Husky may be more expensive, but both require a tether anchor {which our dealer installed free & can provide, but the one that come with the E-Z-On is tested for a higher weight limit than the dealer's}.

scatterbunny

I just wanted to say that I agree with Deborah, your only options for a child 60+ pounds at that age is a Britax Husky or an EZ-On harness w/ Ride Ryte booster. Oh, Deborah, what about some of those travel vests? I know there are a few brands, would those work?

Anyway, I also wanted to mention that you'll need tether anchors in your car for whichever option you go with--the Husky MUST be tethered beyond 50 pounds.

uccomama

Senior Community Member
scatterbunny said:
Oh, Deborah, what about some of those travel vests? I know there are a few brands, would those work?

The large (50 lbs to 80 lbs) RideSafer would work, but the manufacturer states it is from three years old. It isn't quite as user-friendly as a harnessed seat, not terrible though, and again it must be tethered for any child under six years of age. It also needs a special tether anchor for children 60 lbs or over which can be ordered from the manufacturer.

RideSafer Travel Vest

Elitecarseats.com has them for $99.99 right now.

Deborah

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC