What LATCH improvements would you make to Chrysler vehicles?

elle7715

First of all, I'm not sure if this will go anywhere. But my uncle works for Chrysler and he asked me about carseats and how I liked the setup in my mom's Dodge Grand Caravan. I told him it needed LATCH and top tether anchors for all three seats in the back row. He said he'd mention it to the "guys who handle that". Like I said, I'm not sure if I'll actually be taken seriously but it's worth a shot. My uncle works on convenience electronics for Chrysler but he knows quite a few people (even after all the lay off craziness). Years ago he strongly encouraged them to use integrated car seats so he could use them for his kids. I doubt we'll suddenly see LATCH anchors for every seating position but he could put a word in for the carseat crazies. :p

ADS

crunchierthanthou

At the very least, it needs more than one TA in the third row, and not on the rear sill. Really, I'd like the same as I would want to see in any vehicle- LATCH in every rear seating position rated to 60+ lbs (or more for top tether anchors). I'm fully aware that it's never going to happen. :)

ThreeBeans

I would love to see in general, Tether anchors required by law for EVERY rear seating position.

I would also like to see a requirement that a minimum of 3/4 of the rear seats be outfitted with lower anchors rated to 80 lbs. (Meaning in a sedan all three seats must have lower anchors, and in a minivan at least four of the rear seats must have them.)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I don't care if they add more bottom anchors, but I would LOVE 3 top anchors. I have an 06 and only 3 TAs. This is fine when I only have 3 kids, but anymore than that and it's a problem, even w/ a booster b/c that still means 2 seats REALLY close together in the back row.

CandCfam

:scratcheshead: Our 2001 T&C has TAs in every seating position.
LATCH is available for all 3 seating positions in back, but you can only use either both outboard at the same time, or just center, not all 3 at once.
So, I guess if that's not available on current models, I'd say add LATCH for all 3 that can be used simultaneously, and higher weight limits.
I just weighed Kenzie, and she is 47 lbs, so I guess we should start thinking about reinstalling her MA with seatbelt. Not that it's difficult, but eh, I'm lazy, and LATCH is easy. :p

crunchierthanthou

They changed it after 2001. Subsequent years only have 3 full LATCH, with two in the middle row and one in the third.

edit: the LATCH manual actually shows 02-07 vans with non-stow n go seats as only having a tether anchor in the third row- not even lower anchors.

PixieEMT

I just recently noticed my 06 Town and Country has only 1 TA in the center 3rd row! I never noticed before b/c I have DS RF in his Marathon in the 2nd Row (not behind the driver's seat)!
I would like to see atleast all 3 positions in the 3rd row have alteast top anchors! I use the vehicle belt to secure DS MA. The locking latch plate makes it easy to insall seats.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
2001 vehicles are AWESOME. It was year 1 for the whole LATCH thing, so everyone was going above and beyond. Lower Anchors and Tethers EVERYWHERE! Even if the cheap, crappy vehicles. LOL

My dh and I argue about this - why would I want to switch to a 2007/8 vehicle and lose all those anchors, tethers, etc?

skaterbabs

I would love to see in general, Tether anchors required by law for EVERY rear seating position.

I would also like to see a requirement that a minimum of 3/4 of the rear seats be outfitted with lower anchors rated to 80 lbs. (Meaning in a sedan all three seats must have lower anchors, and in a minivan at least four of the rear seats must have them.)

:yeahthat:

LATCH in every position? whatever :p (except it could be a selling point for those families convinced LATCH is safer.) LATCH to 150 lbs in eveyr seating position? That would get my vote. :thumbsup: Also, adjustable, removable head restraints in every seating position and standard 3 point belts rather than those weird ones with the two lower attachment points.

crunchierthanthou

LATCH in every position? whatever :p (except it could be a selling point for those families convinced LATCH is safer.) LATCH to 150 lbs in eveyr seating position? That would get my vote. :thumbsup: Also, adjustable, removable head restraints in every seating position and standard 3 point belts rather than those weird ones with the two lower attachment points.

I think LATCH in every position with higher weight limits (and getting CR manufacturers to follow suit) would help realize the original intent of LATCH. No, it isn't safer, but it would eliminate several seatbelt install incompatabilities and issues.

Forward of the bight and/or long buckle stalks are generally better for adults, but won't work with certain install scenarios. It would also remove the need for locking clips on ALR shoulder belts to prevent tipping of rf seats and help with those two attachment seatbelts you mentioned.

cantech

I know this isn't latch related but...they need to fix the third row setup in the minivans!

My girls are getting older now and seat belt fit is as important to me as having LATCH or TA's once was.

The entire seat in the 3rd row is rotated back. As a result there is about a 3-4" gap between the front of your body and where the shouler belt passes in front of you. The shouder belt anchor actually seems to be forward of where your shoulder is when you sit in the seat. I'd much rather have my body in contact with the shoulder belt. This is when I sit in the rear row. The boosters were even worse! The only position in the 3rd row that would work with our boosters is the middle.

The other problem with this rotation is that your feet either extend forward into the back of the middle row seats, because they won't bend to reach the floor or dangle because your legs aren't long enough!

I was set to order an 08 Grand Caravan until I realized that the only seat in the rear row I could use was the middle. Needless to say I'm still shopping!

Belinda

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The entire seat in the 3rd row is rotated back. As a result there is about a 3-4" gap between the front of your body and where the shouler belt passes in front of you. The shouder belt anchor actually seems to be forward of where your shoulder is when you sit in the seat. I'd much rather have my body in contact with the shoulder belt. This is when I sit in the rear row. The boosters were even worse! The only position in the 3rd row that would work with our boosters is the middle.

I have this issue in my Mazda5 as well - what year is your van? My friend has one and her seat belts in the rear row aren't nearly as bad as mine, but what you're describing does sound just as bad as mine.

To the OP, they REALLY need to correct this, and it's EASY. All they need to do is make sure the seat belts have "routers" that are adjusted properly so they pull the shoulder belt back. Like this:
IMG_1064.jpg

(See how the seat belt goes up through the router-thingie and the retractor is further down?)

NOT LIKE THIS!
IMG_0817.jpg

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Heck I could do with out lower anchors but would love to see top tethers in all 2nd & 3rd row seating positions in all vehicles made.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would love to see the return of lightweight locking latchplates - I know some hate them, but I've always loved them for carseat installs - especially rf'ing ones. (Although locking latchplate would suit me fine too - and they could still use a switchable retractor if they wanted to. :p)

eta: Oops, just realized this isn't a LATCH improvement. :eek: I'm in agreement about the TA's, lower anchors I'm pretty ambivalent about in many cases and would much rather see seatbelts that were more friendly for installing seats with.

elle7715

Things that don't concern LATCH are OK too, I'm just going to send him an email with everything. I'll mention how nice the 2001 models were as far as carseats go. He really had NO idea that anyone would want/need more than one or two LATCH positions.

ThreeBeans

Things that don't concern LATCH are OK too, I'm just going to send him an email with everything. I'll mention how nice the 2001 models were as far as carseats go. He really had NO idea that anyone would want/need more than one or two LATCH positions.

Imagine that! Someone buying a MINIVAN might want more than 2 carseat compatible seating positions! :doh:

oxeye

For the Pacifica - they need to add LATCH in the third row and at the very least top tether anchors in both third row seating positions instead of just one.

And a huge thing - the third row seats need headrests!!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC