The Graco SS2

ThreeBeans

WRT to the thread in the Car Seat forum, it was noted there seems to be a significant discrepancy with measured top harness position vs. torso height and fit in the seat. I asked people to upload photos and measurements as they are able.

FTR, Bean the First's torso height is 15 1/8"

As you can see here, measured height (with the seat cushion pushed down as far as I could) is a hair over 15 inches.

100_0036.jpg

This is how Bean the First fit in it when I first sat him down:

100_0038.jpg

But as I tightened and adjusted the harness we had this:

100_0043.jpg

100_0037.jpg

100_0041.jpg

For comparison's sake, this is how he fits into the Boulevard, which we know has a measurable height of 16.5 inches:

100_1747.jpg

Interesting, no?

Just for fun, the seat in full recline mode:

100_0039.jpg

ADS

MySillyKids

Nothing against your measuring abilities :p but there seems to be some slack in the tape measure on the first pic.

thats probably because you were trying to take a pic, and measure at the same time.

:D

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Weird, huh? I had my 3 year old DBK at a car seat clinic. We installed three Sceneras that day. I put her in the seat, on the floor.eaching ERF. She had outgrown the seat for RFing. But then, I put her in three different cars, RFing, and she had not outgrown it, but each was different.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Nothing against your measuring abilities :p but there seems to be some slack in the tape measure on the first pic.

thats probably because you were trying to take a pic, and measure at the same time.

:D

I would guess she measured with both hands (since she said she pushed down as far as she could) to get the measurement and then let go of the bottom of the measuring tape to take the picture.

That is really weird! Is the top slot on the cover in line of the top slot of the seat :confused: I know on my Comfortsport I measured 15" top slots and ds had a torso of 13.5" and his shoulders were over the top slots :shrug-shoulders: Not sure what happened there :confused:

ThreeBeans

I would guess she measured with both hands (since she said she pushed down as far as she could) to get the measurement and then let go of the bottom of the measuring tape to take the picture.

You are correct ;)

That is really weird! Is the top slot on the cover in line of the top slot of the seat :confused:

Yup, it was all lined up properly. Very odd, isn't it? That seat fits him almost exactly the same way the CarGo fits him and that has measureable top harness slots of 17 inches.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Did you see the pics of my DD in the SS2, that I had posted on that original thread? I put pics of her in the SS2 and Blvd on the same day.

djma

I don't have any pics - but on the one we had it measured right at 16 inches for the top slot. That was without pressing down on the seat cusion. And it was the same "G" pattern as the one in the op's post. Very strange...

crunchierthanthou

Oh great, another haunted seat.

Even if it does fit like a seat with 17" top slots, it's still $130+, only ff and only goes to 40 lbs. You may as well spend the same amount on the EFTA for a convertible with a great rf limit, a higher ff limit and top harness position that is at least as tall.

NOAHSMOM

I also got 15 inches when I measured the SS2 (and 13ish inches when I measured the CS), but 17ish inches when I set my son in the seat. The reclining mechanism does not make adjusting the straps easy and they fit very tight around my son's neck, even left red marks. Here are our pics of him in the SS2 as well as the CS, Apex and Regent. He is a average sized 4 yr old w/15 inch torso.

Sorry if photos are large, my old/cheap camera was low on batteries and set to the wrong setting.

carseats011.jpg
[/IMG]

carseats002.jpg
[/IMG]

carseats001.jpg
[/IMG]

Excuse the spit bubble, he was a bit hyper at the store
carseats003.jpg
[/IMG]

The comfort Sport
carseats005.jpg
[/IMG]

He is about 2 inches too tall for it
carseats004.jpg
[/IMG]

Apex, even with the second to top harness slot
carseats009.jpg
[/IMG]

Regent, would fit in second to bottom harness slot
carseats006.jpg
[/IMG]

mominabigtruck

I have to admit that I actually own this seat and have no idea what the harness heights are on it:eek: I bought it and threw it in my mom's van the same night and have never really looked at it. But I do know that my freakishly long torsoed child is right at the second slots with the padding in and he is about 1/2 inch below the second slot in my husky, not that he ever rides in it. When I go over there on Tuesday I will try to measure and take some pics. I do know that my incredibly hard to please mom is just in love with this seat, she goes on about how easy to install and use it is compared with the ma she had before.:rolleyes:

jmm3

That is strange.

It does look pretty narrow like it would really rub on necks. The chest clip is different than the one on my SS1. I think it looks narrower, I wonder why they do that. The bigger chest clip might be helpful I would think.

It does look nice overall, I wish is could RF and/or had a higher FF limit.

ThreeBeans

The straps are VERY close together rather like the Radian. Bean the First did NOT like it and complained vociferously.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
The chest clip is different than the one on my SS1. I think it looks narrower, I wonder why they do that. The bigger chest clip might be helpful I would think.

The chest clip looks like the same one that was on my snugride and on my comfortsport. I wonder if it just looks smaller because there is a bigger kid in the seat.

ThreeBeans

It's the original chest clip and yes, it's foolishly tiny. I don't know why they didn't use the one from the ss1 :confused:

Lara

I know they used to have the chest clip like on the ss1, and its pictured on the seats on their website. Wonder why they changed it:confused:

NOAHSMOM

The harness also felt rough to the touch, a different feel/thickness than what I was used to as a previous cs and cargo owner. I was more impressed last year when I saw it at BRU, but I believe it was a brown cover model. Today's seat did not impress me. The harness seemed to strangled my son a bit, so I could not see how it would work for us.

I saw the Regent for the first time and it wasn't as big and monterous as I had imagined.

mburks26

thanks for pics and everything Im the OP that started the GSS2 thing. Then only reason why we are looking at this seat is because of the lock offs. We have a car with out locking belts and when there is a need for 2 in the back one is outboard the other in the middle in laws like it that way. Theres no tethers and they wont install them or I would just get a the ridesafe vest thing but even though the girls meet the weight and almost height they are only 2 and 2 and half so them sitting still like they need to in the seat with the vest is probley not going to happen I wouldnt feel right using the vest with out the tethers. Hopefully I can just get the money for a TrueFit when they come out and hope the lock offs work we just cant afford the MA and the other ones with lock offs. And inlaws wont do a locking clip they cant even put the seats in tight enough so I end up doing my dds but not there other my dd cousin they live out of town.

oh and if the GSS2 has that graco foam in the seat that is like almost 3 inches thick like my Cargo does it does make a big differnce how the straps are. My dd had to use the top slots in the Cargo she was soo close to the middle that I couldnt really tell, then I had to clean the cover she got a hold of the foam and well it was no longer usable and with others suggestions since its comfort foam I could use it with out it since some models dont have it and is the same shell its not a safety issue just a comfort thing she has room using the middle slot now. The cover just doesnt line up with the slots the slots on the seat are higher then the slot in the cover that also helps me make sure shes not over the slot in the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC