Becoming a CPS Tech?

lizajane30

I wasn't sure where to post this...

How (and why) do people become CPS Techs? What agency or company do y'all work for? I am so passionate about carseat safety that DH has suggested I look into this!

TIA,
-Linda

ADS

IsasMom

Assuming you are in the US start at http://www.usa.safekids.org/ hit the blue and white CPS certification button and "find a course" in your area. It does not have to be your state.

I became a CPST out of a passion for keeping kids safe and a disgust at misuse or blatent lack of use of any type of safety devices. I was especially frustrated when I went back to nursing school and learned babies were being sent home in potentally unsafe seats b/c nursing staff was not allowed to help parents install or teach (hands off) how to do it. I do checks through the trauma hospital where I work on the peds floor as well as private checks (which I much prefer!) Mostly I check on a volunteer basis (and that includes through the hospital where some techs are paid to check.... don't get me started)

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I'm a CPST out of passion as well. I haven't found a way to get involved locally, as I'm the only tech in my county I believe. I am waiting to get my lisence # for home day care. I'm hoping to work with my daycare parents and then do classes for other day care providers. Hopefully my name and what I do will get out that way. I'm thinking about contacting the maternity ward at the local hospital to talk to the birthing class instructors---maybe I can do something in the class or even if they have my name and number to give out to new parents.

Susan

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I became a cPST out of passion. I have my own business I am trying to get going for CPS education. I also do private checks as well as help if needed for local checks. We do not have a SK chapter here, so I figured if I could get my on educational service going throughout the community it will help.

Melizerd

I'm not a tech yet but I wanted to add that the SafeKids fee is $60 but each state has different local fees and some are pricey and some are not. I'm in Wisconsin and the fees here bring the cost to about $250, Someone in California mentioned that it's something like $900 while other people say their state has no local fees.

I'm going to hopefully take the course this spring. I'm doing it just out of passion and so I have more credibility when I tell someone something. I'm hoping to work with the local fire and police depts too :D

skaterbabs

I became a tech because I feel that it's an important need in my community. I do not work for any agency.

minismom

Other than volunteering, are techs allowed to advertize and do private installation and/or a "consultation" helping a family choose the best car seat for them? for a charge, of course? I'm taking the course soon and I'm the one stuck with the $950 local fee in CA, so it's be nice to be able to make some of that $ back. If so, can anyone recommend an insurance policy? i assume I'd need one right?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
You have a right to charge. I do not charge for private checks. I accept donations. I do charge for group education. If you are going to charge anything you definately want insurance. You can either have a policy added to your homeowners or you can go through HPSO.com which is much cheaper. You must list an employer to get insurance through HPSO. It does not have to be CPS related.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm taking the course soon and I'm the one stuck with the $950 local fee in CA

Where in CA are you? I'm in California, too, and my class didn't have any fee other than the $60. Depending on your situation, you might want to see if there's another class elsewhere in the state, and then pay for a hotel. That would likely be less than $950!

Misty-Bug

I would become a tech out of passion. Just so that I am more comfortable with all installs and feel more confident in them. I just couldn't afford the $500. There was one that was only $75 cause the course was FULL with one seat left but I couldn't leave my son and my daycare boy for three days and drive for 4 hours.
Good luck. Still something I want to pursue

minismom

Where in CA are you? I'm in California, too, and my class didn't have any fee other than the $60. Depending on your situation, you might want to see if there's another class elsewhere in the state, and then pay for a hotel. That would likely be less than $950!

There are others that are in between $200-250, but they are about 5-6 hrs away and I wouldn't wanna drive all that on my own. Plus I can't be gone for the whole week straight because of dd.

btw, this is the course description. All the other courses say "this is the standard certification course" and this doesn't. But I found it on safekids.org under certification classes. Anyone knows what's the deal? Should I contact the instructor to ask, and see if they use the new or old curriculum (I've read something here about this). And what's with this prerequisite thing?

This 5 day course is designed as an introduction to child passenger safety. This course combines classroom instruction, hands-on work with car seats and vehicles, and a community safety seat checkup event. Attendance is required for the entire course. There is a $950.00 local fee in addition to the Safe Kids registration fee. SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A. prerequisite: Educator Workshop and checkup event.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
The $950 course has to use the New Ciriculum too since SK is the certifying body. They mak go more in depth with thier course info and maybe add a little more info.
This 5 day course is designed as an introduction to child passenger safety. This course combines classroom instruction, hands-on work with car seats and vehicles, and a community safety seat checkup event. Attendance is required for the entire course. There is a $950.00 local fee in addition to the Safe Kids registration fee. SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A. prerequisite: Educator Workshop and checkup event.
I would definately contact the instructor to find out more. This may be a SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A. prerequisite, but not SK that I am aware of.

I purchased some of the teaching materials from SafetyBeltSafe and they have a lot of material. I think they may go more indepth into CA laws if they are the one sponsoring or teaching the class. Sorry not much help just my :twocents:

PixieEMT

I've always wanted to become a CPST. I actually wanted to become a CPST after I became a police officer. I graduated the police academy in Sept 2005 and got pregnant with my son Dec 2005. I have my certificate but I never got my state number. I need that number (MPOTEC) to become an officer. I can't get my number until I get hired by a department so........a Catch 22. I've been OOS ever since my son arrived 9/18/06.
I work and volunteer as an emergency medical technician. My volunteer department paid for me to take the class $60.
I guess I have a passion for it b/c of seeing the end results of MVAs. As adults WE have the duty to protect our children. They depend on us for their safety and well being. They can't walk into BRU and say "Hey, I think that seat is appropriate, put it on my debit card, I can install it and buckle myself!" Like I say to my friends/family "YOU are the ADULT, YOU are responsible."

minismom

The $950 course has to use the New Ciriculum too since SK is the certifying body. They mak go more in depth with thier course info and maybe add a little more info.
I would definately contact the instructor to find out more. This may be a SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A. prerequisite, but not SK that I am aware of.

I purchased some of the teaching materials from SafetyBeltSafe and they have a lot of material. I think they may go more indepth into CA laws if they are the one sponsoring or teaching the class. Sorry not much help just my :twocents:

Thanks. I will email and find out for sure.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
If you charge just be aware you are taking on some serious liability. If you did it for free and accepted donations then you will be convered under the good samertin (sp?) laws but those that charge do not get that same coverage. Just want you to be aware.

All the course material & info is going to be the same across the board. Now they may go into more detail but that really depends on the instructor(s) too.

I started out as a passionate mommy that volunteered. I am not one of the instructors & lead techs for our SK chapter. So, I get paid via the hospital I now work for that the SK chapter is out of. I got lucky with this oppertunity and I hope to one day be a coordinator of a SK chapter. I am working on trying to get another chapter started in the county I live in but it's taking a lot of work.

mommy2env

I am also in Southern California, and the only class near me is the one in Altadena. That one is $950. I am guessing she might be taking that one. I would love to be a tech, but not THAT much. :eek:

Where was your course?

chasingboys

I also really want to become a tech, but it's SO costly! I would have to drive and stay in a hotel all week as well. Oh well, I guess I'll just stay passionate about it.

minismom

I am also in Southern California, and the only class near me is the one in Altadena. That one is $950. I am guessing she might be taking that one. I would love to be a tech, but not THAT much. :eek:

Where was your course?

Yes I'm taking the one in Altadena. Sooo expensive! But it's the only one I can commute to.

minismom

If you charge just be aware you are taking on some serious liability. If you did it for free and accepted donations then you will be convered under the good samertin (sp?) laws but those that charge do not get that same coverage. Just want you to be aware.

Yeah I do worry about the liability... Will I be ok if I make sure to have insurance or is it still a big risk? what if I don't actually do the install, just teach and let the parents "touch the seat last"? I wanna volunteer too, but what I had in mind was to do some sort of a consult service, geared towards those LA busy/socialite moms that don't know anything about baby gear and safety and would be happy to just pay someone to tell them what's best. These are the people who can afford the best seats and might otherwise not do what's safer for ther kids cause they don't know better. I thought I'd look at the ages of the kids, size, what car, family needs, then present them with a few seat suggestions, then get them the seat and teach them to install. So I wouldn't really be charging to install the seat. I don't know, maybe there's no real market for this, and i'm just fantasizing. I wouldn't charge much though, cause I'm not really doing it for the $... but wouldn't people think it was creeky if it was free? I'd be fine doing it for free, but I guess some people think if it's not expensve it's no good KWIM? :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC