What do you think?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Is it misleading that I've got the RF picture with Leila's age in my sig -- since I just turned her FF? :eek:

I mean, if it weren't for the fact that she has to ride in a Husky, CarGo, LapTop & E-Z-On so often in other vehicles she most likely would have stayed RF for at least another year :( I wish I could figure out how to convince her to sit RF again -- without buying all new Wizards/Boulevards/Marathons/whatever for all the other vehicles she rides in @@

Hm, I'm going to try our homeschool safety seat lesson with crash test experiment in the living room again :p

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Wish Me Luck!

So, I gathered the information here in another thread about why RF is important for toddlers (specifically, in regards to head size & body ratio, spine, etc.) & explained it to my dad - he appreciates that stuff since he patented a helmet for infants/toddlers without head control, etc. {he's a Past President of the American Academy of Orthotists & Prosthetists}....

Now that my mom has a great new medication for her arthritis, they're willing to do a "homeschool lesson" with me - with Leila again obviously - about how carseats work, etc. :rolleyes: Then, we're going to Babies-R-Us together to get the Boulevard & install it in my car RF while puting her Wizard in their car RF {LOL}

Now, the Husky will go back in the Chevy Tracker - since she's no where near 50# yet I have time to get a tether anchor installed, especially since she rarely ever rides in that vehicle anymore.... I'll just keep the LapTop around for emergencies! :cool:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I realize I'm talking to myself here, LOL, but I'm just really happy that my parents' minds have changed so much since a year ago & even since a few weeks ago: they ended up buying the Boulevard for us this morning while they were at Babies-R-Us looking for a little foam fold-up couch for my daughter to use in my office when she's tired/sick {she has outgrown the bean bag chair, LOL} I think their change of mind/heart has a lot to do with the fact that my 2 year old niece has a growth hormone deficiency & my brother {not the ignorant psycho *SIGH*} has gotten a prescription to order a special RF seat from Sweden through NHTSA - I'm not the only one informing them of the importance of RF! So, we're going to do our experiment thing tomorrow since I have a meeting this afternoon at my college because I'm a few credits away from graduation.... I know she's really "OK" sitting FF, but I've been in 2 accidents in which the vehicles were totalled - call me paranoid, but I want to at least try my best to keep her happy RF as long as she fits the limits of the seat :eek:

U

Unregistered

Papooses, you weren't totally talking to yourself, I've been reading too! Sometimes just putting it down in writing helps a person to figure out what they need to do. Sort of like talking to yourself or to a like minded friend. I know as I typed my query about what to do for my dd who's outgrown her Comet harnessed ( get another ( yikes) Husky or a Parkway). I realized that my head and heart were saying HUSKY. I love this forum because it has so many knowledgeable people with great resources AND because I have no one else to 'talk' to about my car-seat questions or concerns. I stand out with a 7 yr old in a harnessed seat and a 3.5 who was turned RF again. I might anywhere but in Texas especially! I can think of 'worse' things to be thought a 'nut' for though!
C.
ps... I think it was the cold wontons I ate before going to bed, but I met you (and your sister) in a dream and I got to check out your new car! I'm very impressed that Toyota can get such good gas mileage out of those hybrids considering the size of the bathroom and pool in them. No wonder you are so happywith it!! LOL

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
LOL! The Toyota Prius is actually my mom's - I've got the Ford Escape Hybrid.... Now, where is that dealership selling the ones with pools inside? I'm so there! :p

I'm glad to hear you understand about puting it in words SOMEWHERE to figure out what I should do - even if I'm not actually getting any other ideas from someone else, it does help & I love this place, too! =)

I'm almost thinking of puting the Husky back in my vehicle for my 7y.o. stepdaughter - depends on whether not my 10y.o. stepson will ride with us often - he's tall & heavy enough to be in the front, but I like him in the back since I was having behavior issues getting him to sit still up front without twisting around or leaning out the window, etc. However, when both of my stepkids ride in the back there's sibling rivalry & he's in the "special" bully program at school & through the county so I worry what might happen back there :( If he's up front I can still keep my eye on him, KWIM? *SIGH*

If I did this, the LapTop would stay rear-center in the Chevy Tracker & the Parkway would go in storage for a bit @@ Or, technically, my DD does fit it's weight/height requirement so I could keep it handy for emergencies ... like if we ever have to ride in a tow truck again: the one time the Tote-N-Go was really really helpful! Then again, I have the TNG back in my trunk emergency kit - I'm not sure which is really "safer". I think the TNG might actually be better because then I wouldn't have to sit with a lap-only belt in such an instance :confused:

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm dancing the happy jig!!!

We did our little experiment last night & my kiddo is now sitting RF rear-center in the Wizard in my mom's car, RF outboard in the Boulevard in mine {big sis in the Husky behind driver & big bro in front passenger so I can keep my eye on him - 10 years old 5'2" 135#} I plan to take some pictures of the girls this weekend to add to the www.cpsafety.org photo albums :D Here's how our experiment worked if anyone is interested....
  • Leila helped uninstall the Wizard, then we cleaned it together singing "whistle while you work"
  • Gramma & Grampa read the manual with her & practiced buckling her in
  • We all sat on the floor ready to go for an imaginary ride - Gramma driving, Grampa front passenger, Mama behind Gramma & Leila FF behind Grampa
  • Everyone used their fantasy belts, started the imaginary engine & did some fantasy left & right turns, up over hills, etc.
  • *SCREAMS* "A deer is in the road!" *BREAKS*
  • Everyone fell forward - I flipped Leila's FF carseat forward so her face was on the ground
  • At first this was hilarious to her, but I left it like that with the weight on her while we all pretended she was seriously hurt & needed medical attention - we pried her out, laid her down & did fantasy ER care to her head, neck & back {we could tell she was taking this seriously, but not too seriously if you know what I mean?}
  • We got back in our imaginary vehicle just like before except that now Leila was RF ... driving, driving down & up & all around our fantasy town & out comes into the imaginary road a little kid after a ball! Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh! *BREAKS*
  • We all fall forward & I flip Leila's carseat backwards so she's looking up at the ceiling - we all smile & sigh with relief because she's safe ... she claps & runs around "I'm safe, I'm safe, I'm safe!" :p
  • Last, but not least, she gets her surprise new Boulevard box to open & she helps us install that in Mama's car RF then helps us install the Wizard in Gramma's car RF ... we're all riding happily ever after, The End

U

Unregistered

I think if I did that with my two ( well, one is ff in a Husky so it would be a bit different) they would want to do it every day! They love buckling in when seats are out to be cleaned etc and having me do a forward tip (we don't go quite all the way down). They get such a kick out of being safely held in their seats! My 3 yr olds latest is climbing into the rear seat of the van and putting on a seat belt 'to see why I'm in a car seat'!
While at the gas station today I heard a mom talking to a young tyke as the gas pumped away. 'See the numbers go around and around!' Expecting to see a cutie in a carseat I was shocked to see a tiny little thing in a bp booster!! She could not have been over three, but if she was three she was young or very small. Then I realized, at least she WAS in a seat!! I see SO many kids ( or should I say the tops of their heads and a seat belt strap) who are only in a seat belt. You know I just worry about them!!
C.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I see that ALL the time here still & it worries me, too ... I don't believe many parents yet know of the new booster law, but it does seem like more 4-7 year olds are in boosters than they were before. Leila & her big sis are so proud of their RF Wizard/Boulevard & Husky seats that they like me to drive with the windows down as often as possible so they can show them off! :p Leila likes to tell the people next to us in the bank drive-thru all about her seat {LOL} I get the strangest looks for it :rolleyes:

U

Unregistered

Texas has no booster law. Actually eveyone must be buckled, unless there are not enough belts for eveyone and then...I think kids get priority...it's ok if someone isn't!!!
My 3.5 has been going around telling everyone proudly 'I'm rear facing again' and they don't know what she's talking about! Poor thing.
I'm considering a Marathon so she can rear face longer but what with two Huskys I'm not sure the $$ is there for another seat. She and her sister have fought continuously since she was turned around too 'cause they can reach each other now.
C.

Robert

CPST Instructor
When you think about it, this is the place to sound off about child seats. In regards to the picture I would include her weight so parents can see rear facing as long as possible (of course within the weight limits of the seat) is the best and safest way to protect a child. :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm going to take a picture of both girls this weekend - 3 year old 40" 30# RF in her Boulevard & 7 year old almost 60# 53" {longer legged} in the Husky - hopefully I'll have that picture in my sig soon....

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Unregistered said:
Texas has no booster law. Actually eveyone must be buckled, unless there are not enough belts for eveyone and then...I think kids get priority...it's ok if someone isn't!!!
My 3.5 has been going around telling everyone proudly 'I'm rear facing again' and they don't know what she's talking about! Poor thing.
I'm considering a Marathon so she can rear face longer but what with two Huskys I'm not sure the $$ is there for another seat. She and her sister have fought continuously since she was turned around too 'cause they can reach each other now.
C.

Just wanted to let you know that right now in Texas there is a bill in legislative to pass a booster seat law. It has passed the House (HB 183 & is now in the Senate (SR 153). There had been a revision in the House Bill and it was lowered from 8yrs old or 57" to 6yrs old. I know they are hoping that once the Senate looks at it can be upped back to the 8yrs of age. Lets keep our fingers crossed this bill passes.

U

Unregistered

Texas booster law?

Oh, I am so glad to hear that news Jen_nah! I've seen that graph that shows how proper restraint use goes from like 80% correct for 2 year olds to like practically nothing for 4-7 or 8 year olds. It is wonderful to think that more kids will be in boosters as opposed to belts only.
C.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Google for your state senate & house websites {if you don't already have them saved in your favorites} & send your representatives a letter or give them a call to voice your support of the booster bill - urge them to increase it 8 years old, too! ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
papooses said:
We did our little experiment last night & my kiddo is now sitting RF rear-center in the Wizard in my mom's car, RF outboard in the Boulevard in mine {big sis in the Husky behind driver & big bro in front passenger so I can keep my eye on him - 10 years old 5'2" 135#} I plan to take some pictures of the girls this weekend to add to the www.cpsafety.org photo albums :D Here's how our experiment worked if anyone is interested....
  • Leila helped uninstall the Wizard, then we cleaned it together singing "whistle while you work"
  • Gramma & Grampa read the manual with her & practiced buckling her in
  • We all sat on the floor ready to go for an imaginary ride - Gramma driving, Grampa front passenger, Mama behind Gramma & Leila FF behind Grampa
  • Everyone used their fantasy belts, started the imaginary engine & did some fantasy left & right turns, up over hills, etc.
  • *SCREAMS* "A deer is in the road!" *BREAKS*
  • Everyone fell forward - I flipped Leila's FF carseat forward so her face was on the ground
  • At first this was hilarious to her, but I left it like that with the weight on her while we all pretended she was seriously hurt & needed medical attention - we pried her out, laid her down & did fantasy ER care to her head, neck & back {we could tell she was taking this seriously, but not too seriously if you know what I mean?}
  • We got back in our imaginary vehicle just like before except that now Leila was RF ... driving, driving down & up & all around our fantasy town & out comes into the imaginary road a little kid after a ball! Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhh! *BREAKS*
  • We all fall forward & I flip Leila's carseat backwards so she's looking up at the ceiling - we all smile & sigh with relief because she's safe ... she claps & runs around "I'm safe, I'm safe, I'm safe!" :p
  • Last, but not least, she gets her surprise new Boulevard box to open & she helps us install that in Mama's car RF then helps us install the Wizard in Gramma's car RF ... we're all riding happily ever after, The End

Whoa, that is SO cool! Is it ok if I post that, (credited? anon? you choose) sometime, for moms to try out when they think they can't "convince" their kids to RF?

M

momomali

Thank you for giving me this link! I feel like the only mom around here who obsesses with car seat safety issues. I see so many seats installed improperly.... My husband is going to go crazy if he hears any more about carseats!! I think I've just about drove my mom crazy too trying to decide which seats to buy for my kids :eek: I want to put my dd rf again. I wonder how many people think that I'm crazy for spending so much on car seats. I've heard parents brag about having been able to buy a really inexpensive car seat.
But anyway... reading this has made me feel alot better, like some people may actually understand my obsession with this issue at this point in my family's life.
Thank you :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC