Snugride forward facing

steph

I saw a brand new (no license plate) BMW in the parking lot today with a snugride strategically placed in the center of the backseat forward facing w/o the base. It appeared as if it was used like that (based on how it placed - not just thrown back there, etc).

I can only hope that what I saw was a infant seat just placed in the backseat but something tells me that it was used this way, just by how it was placed and such. If the owner of the car would have come out I would have asked but I didn't see anyone.

If it was used like this I just can't understand why:confused:

ADS

MorgieBear'sMama

I've known someone to forward face a snug ride so their 4 month old could "see" out of the front window.

Lamest excuse I've ever heard!

singingpond

Well, for a number of months I rode around with a Snugride (no base) in the front passenger seat of my car. Sometimes it was RF, sometimes FF, depending on how I set it into the car. And, no, my DD no longer rode in the car in that seat -- she had outgrown the Snugride, and had moved to a RF Radian in the center of the back seat. I carried the infant seat (and still do occasionally) in case I needed her in a safe confined space when visiting someplace where I had to put her down, but didn't have another trustworthy adult to hold her.

So, my Snugride also looked 'strategically placed' in a very inappropriate spot in the vehicle. I sometimes wondered what horrible conclusions a carseat 'watcher' might draw upon peering into my car :rolleyes:. Probably horrified that I was cramming three children into the back of the car, plus inappropriately transporting an infant in the front seat, right in front of an airbag too!

I hope that what you saw has a similar harmless reason behind it, but you can't help wondering when you see something like this.

Katrin

Ali

How do people even get it in there FF? A friend's brother was trying to install their infant seat and came in side all frustrated because he couldn't get it to stay put. My friend went outside to check and he was trying to put it in FF. She remedied that!

Wife&MomX3

At least U dont have 2 know if there was a child riding like that. I once saw somebody pull an infant carrier off the backseat of their car, it was side ways and hadnt even been buckled in, it was just set there while they drove:eek:

TXAggieTech

Last night at the hospital with the false alarm I saw a ton of misuse. When I got there the car next to me had a forward facing snug ride, but it had left and there was a old car with lap belts and a backless turbo instead. Walking through ER I saw a new looking infant carrier, no straps but they had a blanket! Plus, an abnormally high amount of children in relationship to the amount of seats I passed on my way in.

lovinwaves

Were there other seats beside it?

Was it actually buckled in?

I have seats in my car that are not in use all the time in my van forward-facing. Even in my front seat I have a carseat there alot of times.

CPS_obsessed_EMT

Senior Community Member
Just last week I saw a Snugride forward facing. I was going into a store and saw an unoccupied nicer looking Expedition with the Winnie the Pooh Snugride installed with the base FFing. I walked up and looked into the glass to see if it was actually installed or just sitting there.
Yep, not only was it installed, but in the 3rd row there was another base that was buckled in facing the wrong way.

I shook my head and walked into the store.

When I came out and walked by the car again, I saw that the parents were in the car. I started to walk by, but decided to say something after all.
I walked up to the vehicle and she rolled down the window. I asked them if they knew their carseat was facing the wrong direction. They appeared to be from India or similar ethnicity, and at first looked at each other like they didn't understand what I said.
I motioned with my hand that the carseat was supposed to be facing backwards while I said it again.
Then the mom looked at the dad and said "Ohh, the carseat is supposed to be turned the other way"
She english pretty well, so I knew she could understand me.
I said to her "Yes, your carseat should be facing the other direction." She just said, "Yea I know." I said, "I just want you to understand that it's extremely important that it faces backwards, and that how you have it is very dangerous." She said "Yea I know" and turned away and rolled up the window.

I walked away feeling like an ass but at least my conscience can't bother me now. :(

Last edited:

Simplysomething

Yep. Pediatrician tells Mom or Dad that Baby can "turn around now" and so they do exactly that....

I don't think we can blame the pediatricians for this one. People do it because they don't think.

When ds2 was an infant---I dropped him off at his paternal grandparents house. I DID leave his seat, so I wasn't surprised when they brought him home. Until I opened up the back of their van and saw a brand spanking new infant seat--FF'ing. WITH DS2 in it. (And remember, you guys, he's almost 3, so that wasn't all that long ago).

And that was a total "WTF" moment, because the boys paternal grandparents are very safety conscious. I mean, she kept the boys uncle in a booster way longer than he was required to be in one (he fell under the 4/40 law. [he's only 15.5 now] I think he was in one until he was 7 or so). So, imagine if people who are generally up on the car-safety stuff do it--think about all the people who just don't give a crap.

Also, I've seen many many forward facing infant seats. I would wager almost all of them were currently being used forward facing. I've seen them in new cars, old cars, nice cars and crappy ones. Cars driven by all sorts of people, in all sorts of places. The forward facing infant seat is...so frustrating.

I don't look in cars so much anymore.

skaterbabs

I think peds are at least partially to blame. I can't tell you how many (educated, intelligent) people I've talked with who honestly thought that it was okay. :rolleyes:

steph

Were there other seats beside it?

Was it actually buckled in?

I have seats in my car that are not in use all the time in my van forward-facing. Even in my front seat I have a carseat there alot of times.

There were no other seats in the car and it wasn't buckled in. The straps were out over the side (like a baby had been taken out). I only hope that they had just set the carrier in and didn't use it forward.

There was a diaper bag next to it too.

brooklynsmommy

I think peds are at least partially to blame. I can't tell you how many (educated, intelligent) people I've talked with who honestly thought that it was okay. :rolleyes:
:yeahthat:
Only keeping them rear facing. My cousin had her daughter in an infant carrier way past the limit because her pedi said that she needed to stay in the seat rear facing until a year. That would partially explain all the huge babies we see in this area still in carriers...

Ali

:yeahthat:
Only keeping them rear facing. My cousin had her daughter in an infant carrier way past the limit because her pedi said that she needed to stay in the seat rear facing until a year. That would partially explain all the huge babies we see in this area still in carriers...

Exactly! I don't think some people even realize there are convertible carseats!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC