Submarining

melniemi

We were coming home from Grandma's house on Christmas Eve. We left around 11 pm. I checked the boys to make sure their boosters were buckled and pulled tight and all was well.

We had a 1 hour 15 minute drive home. The kids all fell asleep. About 1/2 hour into the drive, I glanced back to see if all the kids were asleep (dh was driving). They were and the boys were still sitting properly (yay).

About 10 minutes later, 3 deer jumped out in front of the van. My dh hit the brakes - HARD - locked them up just in time to not hit the deer. Seatbelts locked. Dh and I looked at each other with the 'whew' expressions that we didn't hit the deer.

I look back at the kids. All still asleep. And my 7 year old had slid out under the seatbelt:eek: His butt was near the front of his booster. I had a panic moment of what would have happened to him if we had hit those deer.

He repositioned himself in his sleep to be sitting upright again, but now I am worried that he isn't safe in his seat.

He has a Turbobooster - highback. My 6 yo has one too, but stayed upright in his. Should I get him a different one? One that positions the belt lower on his thighs like a Young Sport or Vivo or something?? Help the paranoid mama out!

ADS

MomToEliEm

I have no advice on boosters as I haven't really ventured into that territory yet (will soon with my oldest though).

Do you think it might have helped if the seatbelt had been locked? Are you sure both the lap and shoulder belt were under the armrest (a common misuse is having just the lap part under the armrest and shoulder above)?

Maybe try out some other boosters and see how they fit your children.

I am glad that you didn't hit the deer as that really could have caused some damage to your vehicle (as well as to the deer).

ThreeBeans

Is there any possibility the seatbelt wasn't snug on his hips? Maybe it got hung up on one of the 'arm-rests'? Have you tried snugging it out, locking it and feeding it back into the retractor?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The OEAMTC (Austrian AAA/Consumer Reports) gives the Turbo fairly low ranking (worst of all seats one year, actually) and that's one of the reasons why (belt rides up too high). I don't know if that's like CR giving a seat a bad rating in this country and we don't believe it, but it makes me hesitant to recommend the Turbo very often.
Annnnyyyyway... yeah, you might consider a booster with a better 'geometry'... or a small, cheap, light plastic bathroom footstool... my kids love theirs, it gives a lot of leg support and is on the ground so I don't fear it as a dangerous projectile.

:)

Elizasmom

When we had a Turbo, I put the arm rests at the lower setting thinking that might reduce the chance of submarining. I always thought the belt seemed pretty low on my DD.

melniemi

I usually do lock the seatbelt when we travel at night and I know the boys will fall asleep. Not sure why I didn't that night. Locking it may have helped prevent him slipping under the belt.

Both parts of the seatbelt were under the armrests and it was snug.

Interesting on the Australian testing.

Which boosters have the best 'geometry'?

The lap belt seems to be fairly low on his hips. It is at an angle, not across his thighs like Britax 5 pts but it seems like it lays across his hips.

Thanks!

USmominOz

Our Britax booster has it, they just came out, I looked into getting one but I decided not too because our boosters only go to 57 lbs:(. I am hoping that they will be increasing the weight limit next year.
If the SK Monterey gets good reviews I may look at getting 2 next year when I am home. It makes me not want to use the TB for dd when she is in dh's car.

http://www.babiesgalore.com.au/view..._search.php?searchtype=category&categoryid=51

http://www.babiesgalore.com.au/view..._search.php?searchtype=category&categoryid=51

So none of your booster in the states have the anti submarine clip?

Last edited:

Wineaux

So none of your booster in the states have the anti submarine clip?
No, that would add a couple of bucks to the manufacturer's cost of a booster seat. Can't have something like a useful safety feature eating away into corporate profits... Besides, if they added those extra few dollars they'd have to raise the retail price of the seat by at least $50, and us cheap American's coudn't afford it, or wouldn't pay for it...
:rolleyes:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, yes, cheap Americans we are... :rolleyes: We were *going to get* a Starriser (no comfy back, just the backless base) with an anti-submarine clip a few years ago, but Britax never released it...the jerks... :p

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
To the OP, how about a Recaro Start...? They're quite expensive, though. I'm sure another seat would probably meet your needs, but that's the first one that comes to mind.

mommyto4

I've seen ads for boosters with the anti submerining strap (not here in the U.S. of course). I soooo wish we would get them here, but with the high weight limit too. I'm not picky, I just want it all.:evil grin:

scatterbunny

I really love our Start, love the top tether-ability (yes, I know that's a made-up word :p ), love the shoulderbelt lockoff, love the seat depth adjustability, love the torso wing adjustability, love the metal frame. It's pretty impossible for H to buckle herself in, so it's not a booster we use for quick in/out trips. The discontinued Britax Bodyguard also has lockoffs, but on the lap portion of the belt, which should also help prevent submarining. The lapbelt lockoffs of the BG are easier for H to deal with than the shoulderbelt lockoff on the Start, but they still frustrate her sometimes, and it's much quicker if I buckle. The Start provides better comfort/support, IMHO, but I can't recall how the tallest setting compares to others. It has a lower (80 pound) weight limit, and I knew when we got it that I'd probably be keeping H in a booster longer than she would fit in the Start, but I wanted it anyway. :p

As far as boosters that position the belt low over the hips, I think the Bodyguard, Start, Vivo, Monarch and Air Booster all do a good job, based on how they fit H. I really think the Vivo positions the lapbelt best, but it's also shorter in seat depth that the others I mentioned. :(

Those anti-sub clips look awesome. Wish we could get them here!

USmominOz

They are going to start selling the Graco Air here, is there much difference to their other booster how a child fits in it?

It will cost $220 Au here which would be about $215 US.

scatterbunny

YES! The Air Booster is different from the Turbo. It is much deeper, for one thing, and a little bit wider (roomier). I haven't actually measured the tallest shoulderbelt setting, but I *think* it is higher than the Turbo. The seat portion of the Air is mesh, H said it felt like sitting on a trampoline and she loved it. The size/positioning of the wings are about the same as the Turbo, though, unfortunately.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC