US airways question(carseat related)

Dawn

I am flying with Abigail who is 5 1/2 and about 45 pounds. I would like to bring her marathon and use it, but according to the customer service person they only allow a child up to 40 pounds to use there safety seat on the plane. Because of her age they would make me gate check her seat. I checked there website and it says the same thing. Do you think they will fight me on it?

ADS

CandCfam

Don't the airlines have to follow FAA policy?

If so, then you can use the seat on the plane.

Keep Your Little One Safe When You're in the Air

Be sure the shoulder straps are properly adjusted and fasten the airplane seat belt around the CRS or device.

Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when using a CRS. The FAA recommends that a child weighing:

* Less than 20 pounds use a rear-facing CRS
* From 20 to 40 pounds use a forward-facing CRS
* More than 40 pounds use an airplane seat belt
* A child may also use an alternative device, such as a a harness-type device, if it is approved by FAA. The FAA has approved one device appropriate for children weighing between 22 and 44 pounds. This type of device is not safe for use in motor vehicles
source

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I think you will be fine. Just don't tell them her weight unless they ask and then say 39 lbs.

MomToEliEm

I doubt anyone would have any issues with an older child using a carseat on a plane. If the flight attendents give you any issues, tell them that the seat is approved for airplane use up to 65 pounds and as long as you use the seat in accordance with FAA regulations (which state follow manufacturer's instructions on weight limits), then you should be fine.

I think the 40 pound limit is just in existance because when the policies were made for US Airways, there were not seats that allowed harnessing above 40 pounds.

Here is something the FAA regulations that you may want to print out prior to your trip.
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
My dd is 7 and we just flew (Delta and Alaska Airlines) last month with her in her Radian. She is very small for her age, but she definitely doesn't look 4. She's right at 40lbs.

This was my argument, had someone tried to say something: "Look, we have to bring the seat so she has something to ride in when we get there. I'm not having it checked so it can get beat to death in the cargo area, so it's either going under her, or taking up precious space in your overhead storage bins."

But no one said anything. What were they going to do, weigh her? I had one guy check for the FAA label because he'd never seen a Radian before, and two others who wanted to see it because they'd heard of them but never seen one. That was it.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
They're not going to ask for a birth certificate or anything -- just bring a printed copy of the FAA recommendation and/or company policy ... hand it to them to show that you have researched the issue & aren't going to be easily swayed ... saying that she meets the guidelines for her seat & you are simply following directions (you are: the manual)

dd9736

If they put up a fight, I'd also probably say something along the lines of her being likely to end up trying to run up and down the aisle, or screaming because I wouldn't let her, if she wasn't in the harnessed seat. Or have her look up at whoever said anything, saying, "I won't be safe without my seat."

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Recline the plane seat before installing, then set it back upright for the tightest fit. Also, don't forget to flip the buckle half a turn before buckling. Otherwise, the tab you lift to unbuckle will be pinned against the back of the Marathon.

Dawn

Not to sound dumb but I haven't flown with a carseat since she was in her snugride.
Do you mean I should lay the buckle horizontal to the airplane seat?

MomToEliEm

Not to sound dumb but I haven't flown with a carseat since she was in her snugride.
Do you mean I should lay the buckle horizontal to the airplane seat?

When the marathon is installed with a lapbelt on the plane, the buckle almost always falls right in the middle of the carseat. When tightened, it pulls up towards the top of the marathon shell. If the buckle is facing up (away from the seat), you cannot get to that little metal buckle release thing to unbuckle the seat. When you flip the buckle down so the release thingy is facing down towards the seat, it is easy to access when you need to unbuckle the plane.

I made the mistake of not turning the buckle once with my roundabout and it was a real pain getting that seat unbuckled. I did get it with a lot of pushing and reclining the seat, but it would have been much easier to just flip the buckle.

Dawn

ok, thank you for explaining.
I have another question if you all can stand it,lol. :eek:
Do you go under the LATCH bar since it is lap belt only? :whistle:

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
It's hard to envision, but it will be very clear once you start to buckle the seat. It's only an issue FF.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I just took AJ in his seat in Sept and he was 41# then and no one said a word. Just walk on confidently w/ your seat, install it, and put her in it. Who's going to question that?

Dawn

It's hard to envision, but it will be very clear once you start to buckle the seat. It's only an issue FF.

Thank you! I went out and looked at her seat in the car and got a better idea of what you all mean. I really appreciate it. Now to pull it out and vacume it,lol. It's kinda rough looking after 4 years of use. :ROTFLMAO:
My family in PA where very surprised she wasn't in just a booster already like my cousins kids where at 5. :rolleyes:

lovemyfamily

My Dh is a pilot for US Airways, I am a former flight attendant for them, well the America West side. I had my DH look in a flight attendants manual not too long ago, when there was some issues with carseats on the plane and FAs buckling down on what the airlines were telling them were the rules. Per their manual, the seats are to be installed according to the manufacturers instructions, which means if the seat is FAA approved and can be used to 65 lbs. in a car, the it can be used to 65 lbs. on a plane. I wish I could get my DH to make a copy of the FAs manual, but he doesn't have a copy machine on the plane, so that would be really hard. I have emailed my uncle's ex-girlfriend, who is a current US Airways FA about this, getting manual page copies, and haven't heard back from her.
If they pitch a fit, and you feel like arguing, ask them to get out their manual and show you where it says that the seat cannot be used after 40 lbs., on the plane.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You might want to ask for a seatbelt extender as well, so that way the buckle isn't directly behind her back in the first place.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC