Fixing britax mararthon elastic

Lara

I got a faux paws MA cover this week off craigslist but the elastic is totally shot. What is the best way to fix it? I can sew, so that's not a big deal I just don't know what method of attaching the elastic is the best (zig-zagging it, or making a little tube and just running it through there)

Also, for anyone with this cover, does it have some sort of binding/trim covering the elastic? My barnum cover has trim around the edge, but this one doesn't and I'm not sure if its supposed to or not.

TIA! :love:

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Some of the older ones did not have it trimmed in. It looked like it was maybe serged directly on to the ends of the cover.

The best and easiest way to do it is w/ a zig zag stitch. I normally use 100% cotton thread, but I used ummm... something else - less breakage.

Safety pin one end to the existing elastic, and start stitching, pulling the elastic relatively taut as you go (not SUPER taut, just relatively taut). I did my 1st too lose, and my 2nd is perfect. LOL

I didn't pin the elastic all the way around, figuring it would interfere w/ keeping it taut.

HTH

kanga

I did the exact above directions on our travel marathons and i fixed the loose elastic. I am a beginner sewer and used my machine to sew on the new elastic over the old. It worked perfectly. Not very pretty since i am a beginner, but it worked!

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Hey! That's funny.

I probably gave you those directions (via email, no less). Glad to know it worked for you, and hope ya'll enjoyed your trip!

:love:

Lara

Thanks! Guess I'll be doing that today, dd is bugging the heck out of me asking when it will go on her seat.

The only thread I have right now that works with my machine is 100% polyester. Its really fussy, and only likes Gutermann thread :rolleyes:...everything else breaks after sewing a couple feet. Anyways, I guess that will have to do!

It does just look like it was serged around the edges, so I guess it didn't have trim to begin with.

tjham

I bought an old Faux Paws with the shot elastic too! I put new elastic on but it was still a little to loose and there is no way I was going to start over. :rolleyes:
So I took about a 12 inch piece of white 1/2 inch elastic and sewed it from one side of the back to the other about one fourth of the way down. It makes it a little bit harder to get on and off but not much. And it sure helps it stay on better.
The seat is FF so it doesn't show.
If I had to do it on a RF seat, I would use black elastic with the Faux Paws.

Lara

So I finally got it sewn on today. I didn't have any of the right color thread (and I'm verrry picky about thread color :p) so I had to get some yesterday. I think its tight enough, its staying on the seat just fine. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have it a little tighter but i'm NOT doing that again! I hate sewing elastic.

Dawn

Funny you should mention this. I just washed Abigail's cover and noticed that the elastic doesn't seem to be good anymore. Mine is sewn in a hem which is coming apart in a few places. But I guess that is to be expected for a 4 year old seat. I am glad to know I can replace it myself if it needs it.

Stretchy Glue

Funny, I am inheriting a Freedom cover to use on my FPSVD and was told that the elastic is a bit stretched. I was going to ask for advice to give my mommy, who is quite the seamstress. I guess I don't have to ask after all...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC