FF in 89 Jeep Wrangler

rileyismydog

We have an 89 Jeep Wrangler that daddy drives on a daily basis. We also use it off road - no rock climbing, mostly fire road or 2 track trails.

There are only lap belts in the rear seat so we have been installing my DS seat using just the lap belt. He is currently riding in an AOE. He is 2.75 yrs old (April birthday), 38.5 lbs, and 38" tall. I do not have his torso measurement yet.

I am looking to purchase the Regent for my vehicle as that is the primary transportation. But I'm looking for something that can be used in the Jeep occassionally - I was thinking an EZ Harness - but also think he's too little still.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lisa

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Just about anything will work there. A Marathon, Evenflo Triumph Advance, Radian, probably a Regent, whatever you want. A lapbelt is a great thing to install a carseat with. The Radian has had great lapbelt only ratings. Though it or the Regent may have issues with installation, especially as until 40 pounds you need a long belt path in the Regent, and I don't know if a lapbelt only would reach.

I'd head to the store and check some out. The Evenflo might be a wonder for you, I'd also look at the big Britaxes. For you I'd probably reach for the Decathlon first, rather than the Marathon or Boulevard, since with the MA or BV you need to put a lap only belt under the LATCH bars, and that can be tough and it can get in the way of a decent installation. The Decathlon doesn't have the LATCH bars, so that may help. Try them all out, but it's something to keep in mind with those LATCH bars. The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe is based on the Marathon/Decathlon, but without the LATCH bars as well, and it's $100 cheaper than a Marathon. It's found only online, but if you like the way a Marathon fits and installs, or rather the way the Decathlon fits and installs, then you might want to hop online and buy that instead. It's $130, the Evenflo is $150, the Radian $180, the Marathon $220 (on sale at Albeebaby, otherwise $270), the Regent $270, the Decathlon $285, and the Boulevard $299.

Wendy

rileyismydog

Thank you. I guess my bigger concern is no top tether in the Jeep and my lack of knowledge on the availability of something "aftermarket" of that type. Don't most seats require the top tether?

skipspin

One thing I'd try to keep in mind is that you want a seat that has a lower profile. My large Britax seats worked great RFing in our 97 Wrangler (TJ), but weren't the best choice for FFing because they sat out so far from the seat that DD has less room for her legs FFing thatn she did RFing if DH drove. (Her seat was behind the driver's seat.) I'd also think that it would increase the rist of her head hitting the back of the front seat in a collison. Another thing you will want to consider is that you don't have a tether anchor. If it were me I would add one. You can get a generic tether anchor from several companies and install it in the floor behind the seat.

Although I've never tried installing a seat in a pre-97 wrangler (my brother has one, but it's 20 hours away...) I would guess that a Radian would be a good option. Ours works very well in our TJ and it does well even without a tether. A Regent would probably work, but you would HAVE to have an anchor installed once he hits 50# and I don't think there would be much leg room. A harness wouldn't be ideal because he would have any neck support, although an 86Y harness with a high-back booster would be a good option if you could get a heavy duty tether anchor installed. This is probably the longest-lasting option for you. Oh, and most highter-weight convertibles are going to have the leg-room problem: Britax seats, Evenflo, Recaro, etc.

Let me know if some of that didn't make sense. I'm holding a cranky baby while I type!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
He's still too little for an 86Y harness - 40lbs is the minimum weight, and having used one, I would not recommend pushing that minimum. My dd is currently hovering around 40lbs and I won't put her in it even though she's 7. The 86Y will also need the tether anchor installed, though that might not be too difficult in that vehicle. If you're willing to wait until he's definitely over 40lbs, and willing to put in the TA, it should be a good option.

Also keep in mind that the Regent will work for now, but over 50lbs the tether anchor is required, so again, you're looking at needing to have that installed.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Thank you. I guess my bigger concern is no top tether in the Jeep and my lack of knowledge on the availability of something "aftermarket" of that type. Don't most seats require the top tether?

The Regent is the only harnessed carseat that requires a top tether anchor once the child weighs 50 lbs. or more. Other harnessed carseats do not require a top tether anchor and might be better alternatives in your situation. This is particularly true based on top tether anchor info. in the Jeep section of the LATCH manual, which indicates there is no top tether anchor retrofit part for pre-2000 model year Wranglers. :(

skipspin

He's still too little for an 86Y harness - 40lbs is the minimum weight, and having used one, I would not recommend pushing that minimum. My dd is currently hovering around 40lbs and I won't put her in it even though she's 7. The 86Y will also need the tether anchor installed, though that might not be too difficult in that vehicle. If you're willing to wait until he's definitely over 40lbs, and willing to put in the TA, it should be a good option.

Also keep in mind that the Regent will work for now, but over 50lbs the tether anchor is required, so again, you're looking at needing to have that installed.

Thanks! I'm not too familiar with the 86Y. It looks like a Radian might be your best bet. When that is outgrown you'll have to look into either a harness with a booster or putting in a racing seat with a harness or shoulderbelt. :cool:

I'd still work on getting that TA. I'll try to add some info about that to this post in a little bit.

rileyismydog

Thank you for sharing you knowledge. I will definately be spending some time researching regarding the top tether. I will also look into the Radian and Decathalon.

Yes, racing seats are on the to be purchased list! :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC