GPS Unit Safety?

bearwithmoi

I'm you don't think I'm going overboard with this question, but do you think about the safety of the actual GPS unit? Is there a best way to mount it?

Here's what I've been wondering. If suction cup mirrors and sunshades can become a projectile in the event of an accident, I imagine the same is true for a GPS, especially because it is heavier. Is there a safer way to mount them? Looking for a new or used car, I don't want to limit myself with only in-dash GPS (they are expensive and not that common), but at the same time I don't want to use something aimed at my head or between the seats to the backseat. I know car rental companies have them mounted from the floor and I imagine that this is for safety reasons.

Does this concern border on ridiculous?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have a little cargo area behind the gear shift in my car in which I have mounted my GPS.

While the unit could still become a projectile, it would have to go around the gear shift and a lip area. I think it is safer where it is than it would be on the windshield, but it is still not 100% safe.

I only ever look down at the GPS when I am at a stoplight. Since it talks to me, "In 500 feet, turn right on Maple Street," I don't need to look at it that often.

southpawboston

yeah, i've been wondering about the safety of aftermarket GPS units. they're fairly large and they're usually mounted on the windshield with suction cups. same with aftermarket satellite radio units. some companies sell brackets custom made for your car which screw in to your dash in place of your ashtray, and then the GPS unit or satellite unit mounts to that.

i have a fast-lane transponder (the thing that lets you go through toll booths without stopping, and bills your credit card automatically) mounted with velcro to my windshield next to the rearview mirror . i have no other choice, it has to be there or it won't work. it's smaller than a GPS display but still wonder about it.

MomToEliEm

In a couple states (I think California is one of them), it is illegal to use the suction cup on the windshield for GPS and other devices (except for fast-pass type devices). Unless there is a permanent mount in the car, it really isn't safe no matter how you secure it (bean bag, suction cup, sticky tape, etc.).

We have a GPS unit and I know it probably isn't too safe as it could be a projectile. I still take the risk as that thing is great. It allows me to drive without worrying about looking at a map or reading street signs.

bearwithmoi

Thanks for the tips of legal issues. Turns out suction cup mounts are illegal in California and Minnesota. Any tips on what people in these states do?

Niea

Thanks for the tips of legal issues. Turns out suction cup mounts are illegal in California and Minnesota. Any tips on what people in these states do?

I never really looked into it because I don't live in one of those states, but my Garmin unit says to call them if you do and they will supply you with an approved mount. I just don't know what that means.

Personally, I only use my unit when I don't know where I'm going. For 99% of my driving, I know exactly where I'm going. For the remaining drives, I usually have the passenger hold the unit for me or I wedge it into a cup holder and just listen carefully.

I do have a suction mount on my dash, but it's not very good so I don't use it. Nevermind coming loose in a collision -- it sometimes falls off just driving around or while parked! :thumbsdown:

I'm in search for a better solution myself.

beeman

We've got the sticky sided velcro on the dash in the work van, and IMO, there is no way it is going to be coming off. Just my :twocents: . It's a lot better than the suction cups.

Niea

Just to be clear, it's not the suction part the falls off on my mount, it's the sticky stuff that the round disk has to attach to my dash. Maybe it's my dash that's the problem (it is a bit textured) or the climate (NM gets pretty hot in the summer and the adhesive tends to melt), but I don't think the velcro stuff would work any better for me.

skipspin

I wonder if the cord was secured to something if that would help in a crash? (Hmmm, wrapped 10xs around the handle on the dash?) We use ours in three different vehicles, but only on vacation or when we don't know where we are going, so we can't really permanently mount it. The suction cup does work really well in our vehicles. In the Jeeps we can put it anywhere and it works since they are soft tops, but in DH's truck it has to be in or near the windshield.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The dash mount disc for my Garmin fit neatly into one of the cupholders in the folding console of my minivan. I suction the mounting arm there. It could still fly off in a crash, but at least it's much lower and not in front of anyone's head. Mine is normally in the glove box or at home, I only use it when I'm going somewhere new or on a trip.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
yeah, i've been wondering about the safety of aftermarket GPS units. they're fairly large and they're usually mounted on the windshield with suction cups. same with aftermarket satellite radio units. some companies sell brackets custom made for your car which screw in to your dash in place of your ashtray, and then the GPS unit or satellite unit mounts to that.

i have a fast-lane transponder (the thing that lets you go through toll booths without stopping, and bills your credit card automatically) mounted with velcro to my windshield next to the rearview mirror . i have no other choice, it has to be there or it won't work. it's smaller than a GPS display but still wonder about it.

We have the same thing but our's our called toll tags. Mine is mounted in the same place as yours for the same reason. In dh truck he was able to get is down in the bottom left hand corner of his windshied.

Dh has an iPod mount in his truck. I too wonder about it. There is a bracket that is actually attached to the dash under the dash face plate. But, The iPod just sits in it snugly so it could still be a projectile. He is now wanted a GPS unit but I have addressed my concerns on how to safely mount it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC