RN friend put her not yet 3 year old in a booster...

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
EEERRR!! I even sent her videos and everything. Her daughter will turn 3 in January and 35 pounds. She is to big for her Evenflo Titan and so she thinks 5-points are a pain after using that one for 2.5 years and so she moved her to a booster. You would like an RN would get it before a normal person. I suggested the Apex, but she doesn't want to spend $80 on a carseat, even though it would be the last one she would need.

I offered to get her one if she would pay even $10, but it will be a cheaper combo, like a Evenflo. So, my only concern is that it won't last her to 4 years, because she will be over the 40 pound limit to early.

EEERRR!!! Thanks for reading.
Stefanie

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'm sorry, I know how frustrating it is. I have a friend w/ a nutrition degree and is very careful about what her kids eat, but seems to care very little about how they are restrained in the van. :(

Jacks

Stephanie, I know exactly know how you feel right now. My nephew who just turned 6 and is only about an inch taller than my
3yo DS and approx. 42lbs. informed us during the holidays that he was "out of his carseat and only in a seatbelt" :eek: WTH??? I have also sent research, data, video...No HBB just a seatbelt!

I feel so sad and upset and don't know what else to do. I have tried talking to my brother and SIL with NO LUCK! :( I know they think I'm crazy but, I will keep trying and pray that they don't live to regret such a horrible decision.

Good luck to you getting through to your friend.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Is that even legal?? In CT a 6 yo in a seatbelt isn't even legal!

:thumbsdown: So many people should know better...and do know better...and choose not to do the right thing...it's terrible!

minismom

I'm just as frustrated! A friend recently told me she's thinking of getting her 2 yo a booster soon, even thought he's VERY far from outgrowing his seat. When I told her I thought he was too young and would probably not seat properly she said "you haven't seen him in a while, he's such a little man now". I had already sent her info on ERF a while back and was going to email HWH (or should I just say AnyWH...) but after she mentioned her ds rides loose in her dh's car I gave up.
I also tried to get my cousin to turn her 14 month old dd back RF and explained it's safer in a crash and she was like "oh yeah, but that's if you crash, you can't think like that, if we crash then we're all scr***d". Is that the stupidest thing to say or what? It's all in case we crash!!!

Jacks

Is that even legal?? In CT a 6 yo in a seatbelt isn't even legal!

:thumbsdown: So many people should know better...and do know better...and choose not to do the right thing...it's terrible!

I'm not sure what the law is in Ohio for riding in just a seatbelt?? Good point! I never even thought about that aspect because my almost 4yo will be harnessed for a loooooong time.

I have no idea why otherwise intelligent parents make such harmful decisions? :confused: Maybe because other kids are riding without a booster or harness? Maybe becaue when you spend so much time LOOKING like the perfect family from the outside you forget to do the things that REALLY matter?? :cool: Just my :twocents:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Maura, nice. Not all crashes are fatal to everyone. We totalled our car when AJ was 4 mos. I wasn't even restrained in the back seat (bad me, I know better after that one!) and turned out o.k., but it wouldn't have taken much to hurt AJ. Thankfully we had seen a tech and he was in correctly and was unhurt. Some people just aren't the brightest are they?

minismom

Maura, nice. Not all crashes are fatal to everyone. We totalled our car when AJ was 4 mos. I wasn't even restrained in the back seat (bad me, I know better after that one!) and turned out o.k., but it wouldn't have taken much to hurt AJ. Thankfully we had seen a tech and he was in correctly and was unhurt. Some people just aren't the brightest are they?

Wow, I'm glad you were all unharmed. What a scary thing to go through! And you're right, so people are just plain dumb! I've had to learn the hard way that there's only so much we can do, I can give someone the facts but then they have to make they're own choices. If they don't care to give their children the best chances to come out of a crash unharmed, then it's their decision... I really hate being in this position, cause when people ignore your advice the only way you'll be proven right is if something bad actually happens, and of course we don't want that.
I'm just happy I think I got through to my other cousin who is now expecting her first. Her husband was really into my demonstration of the strain in the neck thing and I think he got it. I also showed him my ss1 in the car and showed him how simple to install and how he needs to make sure it's in thight. He was really paying attention... :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC