Has anyone had issues with their Recaro Young Sport?

ZephyrBlue

Any faults/defects with this seat that you've experienced or heard about?

As much as I hate to even think about supporting Recaro :rolleyes: I'm seriously thinking about buying a Young Sport for DS. He's FF now due to legroom and the BV is on such a high base- DS really enjoys riding in his sister's Radian, but I'd like something with side wings for him to rest his head on- his head flops horribly when he falls asleep in the Radian. I was waiting on the True Fit, but not sure that I want a brand new to the market seat again, I got enough of that fun with the Como.

So, speak up and tell me about your issues with the Young Sport! :)

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I've never heard of any issues w/ it. That was one seat we thought about for Evan (decided to keep him rfing) b/c his build is perfect for this seat.

Cindy&Connor

I love mine!!!

ETA-The harness is pretty short. Ds is on the top slots and theres only 3 or 4 inches of adjuster strap left when the harness is tightened. To me it's not a big deal because ds is so skinny but it could be a downfall.

Cindy&Connor

That's a good question and he's sleeping right now. If I had to guess I would say 15. It was 14.5 the last time I checked and he still fits about the same in his seats. He still has at least 2 inches before he reaches the top slot in the Young Sport.

ZephyrBlue

Thanks a bunch. DS's torso height is 13.5", so he'd have a good long time in it. My kids are tiny, both in weight and height, so I think he'd get a lot of use out of it. I put the BV on Craigslist, let's hope it sells quickly, LOL!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The harness is pretty short.
You mean the length of the straps, right?

Cindy, do you happen to know your DS's torso height?
RYSport's top harness slot is 17" -- like Apex & Marathon/etc.... My DD fit the RYSport longer than our Boulevard thanks to the recline option :thumbsup: It just isn't a seat designed for obese children (the intended audience for high weight harness seats which are not classified as Special Needs seats)

We also loved LOVED our RYSport :) My only complaint is that the bar for adjusting harness height is rather cumbersome :twocents: Plus, it's heavy so I'd suggest a spare seat option for travel.

ZephyrBlue

Good to know Tiffany, thanks. We don't travel, so I think we'd be okay with it being his main seat. If we needed to, we could take almost 5yo's Radian and the CarGo for DS. He still has tons of room in the BV, height-wise, so that's reasuring.

southpawboston

i'll echo all of papooses' comments.

17" top slots before going into booster mode. designed for taller, thinner kids as opposed to shorter, wider. tends to be reclined, even NOT when in recline mode. the recline angle in our car was about 33 degrees.

my only complaint with the YS (besides not being a HWH seat) is that the straps fold over on themselves as they pass through the buckle tongues. granted, it's aminor complaint. same problem with the signo/como. but i've seen pics here of other kiddos in their YS's and this does not seem to be a problem with all YS's.

it is surprisingly heavy for its size. it's a blown mold shell, so double wall by design. that may account for the extra weight.

skipspin

DD loved hers. And it fit her well as a booster when she outgrew the harness by weight. (At 4 yrs, 3 months) She was just even with the middle harness height, but she's short and chubby. I ended up temporarily trading it for a BLVD so that I could wait on buying DS a seat- but I'm getting it back and either DS will be over 2 and I would let him use it FFing in our second car (assuming he's 30+ lbs) or DD will use it as a booster. If it went to 45 or 50 lb it would be the perfect seat!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If it went to 45 or 50 lb it would be the perfect seat!

Amen to that -- so, great, Recaro has the new high weight convertibles ... but I want a high weight (with tall slots) COMBINATION seat!
:soapbox:
Either Recaro needs to make the Sport into a HWH (with 1 more slot option) and/or Britax needs to somehow add a harness to the Parkway :whistle:

ThreeBeans

I'm looking forward to see what Graco is going to come up with their new Sprout/Neptune/Tritan/whateverinheckit'sgoingtobecalled :twocents:

Splash

I love mine (er, Skipspin's). I have no complaints whatsoever... at least not any worth voicing. The adjuster strap is rather short, and he's only in the second slot. That is odd. Other than that, I can't say enough great things about it!

NVMBR02

I'm looking forward to see what Graco is going to come up with their new Sprout/Neptune/Tritan/whateverinheckit'sgoingtobecalled :twocents:

:yeahthat:

Me too! It would be awesome to have a HWH Combo seat that has a good booster with it.

I would love to get my ds the young sport, I highly doubt I could talk dh into it and then another carseat after.

I'll look out for your review if you do get one...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC