Anyone Remember These?

classicseats

Here are two Bobby Macs. The brown one is from 1977, The black one is 1979. Talk about complicated! I'm sure some of you have stories.

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

Someone had actually brought one similar to that black one to my child's daycare for use with their child a couple years ago. At first, I thought it was a child seat for a bike, but after looking at it closer, realised it was for the car. I couldn't believe that someone would actually have used a seat so old. I notified the director about the seat and hopefully the owner was told it was not safe to use.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't think they're as complicated as you think. Buckle child in, put shield over, and then put the seatbelt across the shield. Since seatbelts didn't lock they must have used a locking clip, so it would be the same every time.

That'd be my guess, anyway.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Europe has a few seats like that. I think maybe one that's a combination seat, but I know there are some boosters. I can't find them, though! My Swedish and German is really rusty.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't think they're as complicated as you think. Buckle child in, put shield over, and then put the seatbelt across the shield. Since seatbelts didn't lock they must have used a locking clip, so it would be the same every time.

That'd be my guess, anyway.

Wendy

I suspect such a magical thing as a locking clip wouldn't have existed before seats had to be dynamically tested in 1981... I wonder when they were invented, anyway...hmmmmm...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I remember locking clips growing up. I don't know why, my mom had lap belts only, but I remember them. I was born in 1977. My brother was born in 1979, and between the two of us I remember locking clips being used before my brother was out of seats.

Wendy

minismom

I remember locking clips growing up. I don't know why, my mom had lap belts only, but I remember them. I was born in 1977. My brother was born in 1979, and between the two of us I remember locking clips being used before my brother was out of seats.

Wendy

It's nice to know that there were safe babies back then. When I was born in 79 someone held me when in the car and ditto for my brother in 83. Or maybe they'd put us in a moses basket that just sat in the back seat unrestrained. My mother's husband was just telling me about how when his 3 month old was in the moses basket he had to break suddenly for a red light and the basket flipped and he ended up under the front seat. :eek: Unharmed, somehow...

Mama!

It's nice to know that there were safe babies back then. When I was born in 79 someone held me when in the car and ditto for my brother in 83. Or maybe they'd put us in a moses basket that just sat in the back seat unrestrained. My mother's husband was just telling me about how when his 3 month old was in the moses basket he had to break suddenly for a red light and the basket flipped and he ended up under the front seat. :eek: Unharmed, somehow...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeek :eek:

miraclebabies

That is so funny !! I had that same carseat 26yrs ago. It was bought for my older sister 28yrs old and passed down to each of us kids. My 22yr old sister and my 20yr old brother. We had the black one and it's still up in my parents attic. I can remember for my brother when he was about 2 my parents just used the lap belt and put over the whole seat including him. It doesn't sound safe at all. It is weird how years ago some kids didn't have a carseat and the ones that did where not used properly.

solmama

I was born in 1972 and my parents tell me that I rode in a seat similar to the one posted here...when I was 2. Yep, they were safety conscious.

CaseyRN

It makes me want to hang on to DD's Marathon after it's expired just to have it when she's a mommy to show her what she rode it b/c I'm sure it would be the same response we have to these seats!

Mama!

It makes me want to hang on to DD's Marathon after it's expired just to have it when she's a mommy to show her what she rode it b/c I'm sure it would be the same response we have to these seats!

I know! As I said on another thread , I'd be all defensive.

"Hey! The Regent was super safe in those days!!!"

LOL

(Can you see my dh's face? As he realized I wanted the movers to move a 50 lb carseat?)

OMGoodness! That sure is classic and ugly. Bring on the pink seats any day :)

Wow they are very unique aren't they?
So Classic, where do you manage to get these "classics" from?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
That was the correct use to put the lap belt Around the seat! With the shield of course! So you strapped the kid in the seat, put the shield on the seat, and put the lap belt around the seat and shield. Then you locked the clamp on the shield to the seat belt. How many of these do you think were misused!!!

Honestly? Probably not many! No belt paths to mix up, no top-tether to ignore, no LATCH straps to confuse the issue... That was one of the things that made shield boosters so popular - they were really easy to use, and the concept of putting the seat belt around the seat AND the child made sense to most people.

We've all got a healthy fear and disgust of shields because of the dangerous shield boosters and overhead-shield carseats, but we have to remember that not all shields were dangerous. There were a few very safe OHS carseats/shield boosters - they quit making them because SOME of them were giving "shields" a very bad name, not because all of them were unsafe. :twocents:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
If I remember this right, If they were used correctly, they were very safe?

The shield boosters? No, not really - it depended on the style. There were ejections even in children who were big enough to be using them, IIRC. The Britax Laptop, however, never had that problem, and was/is a fantastic seat.

OHS carseats were the same way - the ones they're still making are crap. There was at least one, though, that had more of a "tray" that sat lower on the child's lap and wouldn't detach from the seat and become a projectile. I can't remember the name, but it was a very nice seat and got raves for safety + ease of use.

miraclebabies

In regards to my first message, I said that my parents but the lap belt over the whole carseat. I do remember seeing the shield but when they buckled my little brother in the carseat they never used the shield he sat in the middle seat of our van and just used the lap belt over his carseat. My mom never used the shiled it was to hard to strap down and unhook to get him out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC