Oh, Britax

ThreeBeans

http://www.britaxusa.com/support/faqs.aspx

Under 'install questions', bolding mine.

Q. I have installed my car seat using the LATCH system but the seat is moving left to right. Is this safe?

A. Excessive movement is described as movement of more than an inch side-to-side or front-to-back. Because LATCH anchor bars in your vehicle are one inch (25 mm) wide, movement of the child seat would be less than one inch and is therefore acceptable.

The location of the LATCH anchor bars in your vehicle (visible and pronounced versus hidden in seat bight) may affect the installation in your vehicle. Some tips that may help reduce the side-to-side movements include:

Use an anti-skid mat under base

Elevating the recline block being certain not to exceed level position

Has anyone contacted them about this, or do I need to call customer service? *twitching*

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
As much as we want simple black/white yes/no always/never answers, they just don't exist. Britax would be leaving us in less of a bind if they would sell 'approved' mats, though...:thumbsdown:

ThreeBeans

Why would Britax recommend something directly contrary to correct car seat installation? If your movement is more than an inch, a mat is not the answer, a better installation is. GAH!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I've never seen an anti-skid mat sold. The mats I see are for protecting the car. We use shelf liner under seats to help w/ stability on things like leather seats.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I've never seen an anti-skid mat sold. The mats I see are for protecting the car. We use shelf liner under seats to help w/ stability on things like leather seats.

My new Oct 2007 MA has rubber two rubber grippers on the bottom of the base that prevent the seat from sliding on leather seats.

image.jpg

southpawboston

My new Oct 2007 MA has rubber two rubber grippers on the bottom of the base that prevent the seat from sliding on leather seats.

image.jpg

i haven't seen this IRL, but from the pics, it looks like two strips cut from self-adhesive "foamies" foam sheets you can buy at michaels for $0.99 each :). seriously. i buy those sheets by the dozen and cut them into all sorts of shapes and use them as anti-slip feet for everything from furniture to electronics.

maybe i should cut a couple of strips and slap 'em on the bottom of my como?? :D

southpawboston

I just don't get the PURPOSE of the anti-skid things. Seems to me all they can be is dangerous :twocents:

Ive always felt anti-skid stuff would give a false sense of an acceptable install kwim?

if the carseat MFRs (and the tech community) think that having a slippery install is dangerous, (OR, having a grippy mat gives a false sense of security), then they should make it a requirement to install a thin sheet of silk or wax paper between the carseat and vehicle seat during *every* installation to maximize the slipperiness, and therefore expose any potential installation shortcomings, KWIM? because every car has upholstery of differing grippy-ness. the install in a luxury car with the grippy microfiber ultrasuede option package could be "artificially" secure simply because of the upholstery, compared with the same exact vehicle with the smooth leather option instead. putting something thin and slippery between your carseat and your vehicle seat every time as a test would expose any potential weakness in your installation which you could then address.

ThreeBeans

Don't give me any ideas, SPB! I'm tempted to go out to my car right now and do it, just because I know my seats would past your clever lil test :ROTFLMAO:

LuvBug

lol! this is true. But what I meant was I have experienced installs that the gripper didnt allow movement even when the belt wasnt very tight. Its probably not a common thing at all, but it was enough to make me be careful when using gripper. I prefer to install the seat without gripper first and see if I can get it acceptable, then put the gripper down and install as before. That way I know it was acceptable without the gripper, but now it doesnt slip either. Thats just my anal retentive side :p Im pretty OCD... gotta remind myself at times its not a perfect world :rolleyes:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
lol! this is true. But what I meant was I have experienced installs that the gripper didnt allow movement even when the belt wasnt very tight. Its probably not a common thing at all, but it was enough to make me be careful when using gripper. I prefer to install the seat without gripper first and see if I can get it acceptable, then put the gripper down and install as before. That way I know it was acceptable without the gripper, but now it doesnt slip either. Thats just my anal retentive side :p Im pretty OCD... gotta remind myself at times its not a perfect world :rolleyes:

Well, you know... if it doesn't make a tight install loose or a loose install tight, then the product in question is probably safe to use...ya gotta do it both ways to know for sure! :thumbsup:

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I've done installs in vehicles with leather seats where there was a lot more than 1" side to side movement even after the belt was very tight. THere was zero front to back movement, and there weren't any weird seatbelt issues to explain the movement. It was just that the seats were so slippery that the seat could move no matter how tight the belt was.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC