How long does a child usually use a booster? What age?

diaperjoys

Our oldest is 4.5, and riding in a Regent. I'm wondering, if we were to purchas a booster at the next good sale (for back-up, travel, etc.), would that booster last him until he was okay to ride in a regular seat in a car? And I have the same question for our 3.5yo, who is about to move to a Regent (and pass down the MA to the baby).

If I purchased boosters for them now, and I'm assuming they have 6 yr expirations like most other car seats, the kiddos would be 10.5 and 9.5 when their boosters expired. Could they go into regular seats then, would ya'll think?

The older child is fairly tall for his age, and the next little guy is average.

Thanks!

ADS

ThreeBeans

I imagine if your children still needed a boost after outgrowing the high-backs/the high-backs expiring, you could pick up a backless booster for those last few inches for relatively cheaply :)

beeman

As Threebeans said, they should outgrow the highback booster around the same time it expires. You might be better off to wait for a little bit on the 3.5yr old though, to get maximum use out of it.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
4 foot 9 inches is the recommended height to use only a seatbelt. You want the seatblet to fit across the hips and not the abdomin.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Average age for passing the 5 step test http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm (and feet flat on the floor is my favorite 6th step) is age 10-12 (could be less or more in some cars, depending on the size of the kids and the seats). I'm with 3B, you could get a no-back booster if you still need one later for as cheaply as $10 :)

skaterbabs

My 11 1/2 year old still uses a booster in our vehicles, but in other vehicles sometimes does and sometimes does not need one.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I wouldn't buy one at those ages. My 9yo still fits in the Regent, so if he'd had one since 4.5, he'd still be using it. If my 11yo had had a Regent since he was 4.5, it would have expired before he outgrew it! My 9yo still doesn't fit without a booster in almost all vehicles; my 11yo fits without a booster in about half of them, but none are vehicles we own so he still uses a booster quite regularly.

Kat_Momof3

I agree with the others... a lot will dpeend on the growth rates and growth in general of your kids.

My oldest towers over kids 2-4yrs older than him and, at ALMOST 8yrs old (he will turn 8 on Jan. 11), he is 4'9+ (haven't measured him in a month, so he could have grown and probably did), too tall in some cars to use boosters, sometimes in just certain seating positions (third row of my van), and sometimes (in dh's car) the belt now fits him better without the booster, though that is rare.

He has less than 2" before he will top out in my van's 2nd row with his ears and no longer fit a booster at all... but he's also maxing it for width and, with so little growth spurt, I've decided I'm not going to be hunting down a safety 1st Prospect... he'll have to make do with his current backless or sit in the seatbelt (he already passes the 6-step test... he just prefers his booster and so do I)

For only 2" of growth, if he didn't pass the 6-step, I'd buy him the Prospect or Clek, but as he does, I'm holding otu instead to buy my younger son, who is about to outgrow the highback boosters that are non-britax, a SK Monterey in February.

Basically, my giant son is the severe minority. He's taller than some 12yr olds we meet... and I would not expect ANY seat to last them to the end at this point.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I wouldn't look at a booster even a back up one for your 3.5yr old any time soon. For your 4.5yr I would only look at a good high back that has side impact protection. I would only use it for emergancy situations.

I am a mom of a 6.5yr old that has had a back up high back booster since she was 4yrs old and even now she still fits in a Britax Marathon with growing room. She is just petite and will last in her Regent until she is easily 9-10yrs old and then in a highback or backless for several years after that.

But, Then I have a 4.5yr old that is the exact same size of my 6.5yr old BUT is not mature enough for a booster. We tried just a quick trip around the neighborhood in big sisters booster. We did this just in cause Papa had to pick her up from preschool in an emergancy he could. He has a Graco highback Turbo booster for my older dd as a just in case seat. While she may fit & meet all requirements she is just not ready for one. She will remain in a 5pt harness for years to come.

My thought is neither complain and actually prefer a 5pt harness car seat over a booster anyday.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC