Lock off's

ADS

SPJ&E

On the few seats that have lockoffs, they are used instead of a locking clip (metal H shaped clip that comes with most carseats). They hold the seatbelt in place so it cannot loosen. Locking clips can be a total pain in the butt to use, whereas lockoffs, all you have to do is close over the seatbelt.

For example, a rear-facing seat installed with a lap/shoulder belt that locks at the retractor, will usually tip up on one side (because of the locked shoulder belt). In that situation, instead of locking the shoulder belt, you would use a locking clip or lockoff if the seat has one.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
On the few seats that have lockoffs, they are used instead of a locking clip (metal H shaped clip that comes with most carseats). They hold the seatbelt in place so it cannot loosen. Locking clips can be a total pain in the butt to use, whereas lockoffs, all you have to do is close over the seatbelt.

For example, a rear-facing seat installed with a lap/shoulder belt that locks at the retractor, will usually tip up on one side (because of the locked shoulder belt). In that situation, instead of locking the shoulder belt, you would use a locking clip or lockoff if the seat has one.

:yeahthat:

spcamno

Not sure if I am correct or not but on most vehicle after you install the seat you have to pull the entire seat belt (the one on your vehicle) out and let it retrace itself it should lock / limit the seat belt's length without any extra movement but just in case check your vehicle's owners manual in should state clearly in there.

If you seat belt doesn't has this feature you will need the lock to control the seat belt's length after the car seat has installed.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Not sure if I am correct or not but on most vehicle after you install the seat you have to pull the entire seat belt (the one on your vehicle) out and let it retrace itself it should lock / limit the seat belt's length without any extra movement but just in case check your vehicle's owners manual in should state clearly in there.

If you seat belt doesn't has this feature you will need the lock to control the seat belt's length after the car seat has installed.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

The seat belt you are decribing is called a ALR (Automatic Locking Retractor). There are also ELR (Emergency Locking Retractor) and locking latch plates. In the mid 90's (I think '96, but would have look it up to bw certain) NHTSA made it manditory for vehicle manufacturers to have a way to lock seatbelts. Part of the reason was to help consumers with installing car seats. So you are partially correct ;)

spcamno

Hi azgirl71,

Thanks for clarifying this!

Since on our mini van we have this ALR do we still have to use the locking clip?

Also on our other vehicle besides ALR we have automatic seatbelt tensioner (according to the manufacturer all the seat belts in the car will tighten up in the event of the accident) so should we use this clip as well or no?

I am kind of confused by the auto maker:confused:

Thanks again!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
With ALR you do not use locking clips. You can use the lock offs if your car seat has them built in and your car seat manual says this is permitted.

If you are in a vehicle that only has emergency locking retractors you must use a locking clip. Your careat will not be installed correctly otherwise because hte belt will remain loose and may not even lock in an emergency ;)

ETA: Occasionaly when installing infant seat bases with ALR belts you ill have to leave the belt in the ELR mode and use a locking clip instead if your base tips from the tension form the ALR.

spcamno

Thanks for your prompt reply again!

I think I understand now, the lock offs is something built-in with the car seat itself and the locking clip is a metal clip device to hold / limits the travel of the auto seat belt if without the ALR feature,correct?

On our other vehicle that has the emergency seatbelt locking features (I think they call it tensioner) it also has the ALR function on it so I guess I don't need the metal locking clip I was talking about,right?

Thanks again!:thumbsup:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Thanks for your prompt reply again!

I think I understand now, the lock offs is something built-in with the car seat itself and the locking clip is a metal clip device to hold / limits the travel of the auto seat belt if without the ALR feature,correct?

On our other vehicle that has the emergency seatbelt locking features (I think they call it tensioner) it also has the ALR function on it so I guess I don't need the metal locking clip I was talking about,right?

Thanks again!:thumbsup:

YW :D. You are correct on both questions. A locking clip ans a lock off are 2 deifferent things. No locking clip required when using ALR. :love:

miraclebabies

The lock off's are nice to use to get a tight and secure installation. I have them on my Britax carseats and love them. It doesn't take long to install them and it makes it easier to use the lock off.

horseymom

ok thanks! this is exactly what I just had to do with ds eddie bauer AO, thanks to all these ladies they helped me figure it out. Good to see you here too (I have "talked to you on PW too);)

I hope I did it correctly... pulled the belt out with out locking it got a tight install on the seat then unclipped it very carefully and put the locking clip on the belt and then vuckled it back up again (which was not easy! but it's in TIGHT!:thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I hope I did it correctly... pulled the belt out with out locking it got a tight install on the seat then unclipped it very carefully and put the locking clip on the belt and then vuckled it back up again (which was not easy! but it's in TIGHT!:thumbsup:

Sounds perfect. (The locking clip should be within 1/2" from the latchplate, just mentioning jic.) :thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It's actually 1 inch, not 1/2 an inch. You're fine ;)

Have they recently changed the recommendation? Most manuals I've read say 1/2" and that's what we were taught (granted I'm in Canada, but I thought I've seen other techs post the same.) :confused:

I know you came through the course on the new curriculum though, so maybe they've changed it?

eta: Horseymom - I wouldn't be concerned if you're slightly over 1/2" provided that the locking clip isn't on the edge of the belt path. You have fairly short buckle stalks IIRC from your pictures, so I'm sure that's not a problem in your situation. :)

minismom

After all this locking talk, today I went back to my seat and I was trying to check if having locked the ALR was tipping the SS1 base, since I recently learned that can happen. BUT, when I pulled on the shoulder belt it WAS NOT LOCKED. I am 100% sure I pulled on the belt to lock it when I installed the seat just a couple of days ago. Is that weird, could it be a problem with the seatbelt?

spcamno

Not an expert here but as far as I know if you pull the seat belt fast enough it will trigger the lock to hold it on place but that's NOT the ALR.

To activate the ALR you have to pull the entire seat belt out slowly until it stops then allow it to retract all the way, actually I knee on the car seat with my body weight and force it into the seat and was still able to remove may be an inch or two of snag.

The cushion may be well compressed and deformed from its shape now but my son's safety is all I care about and lets worry about the seat later when the lease on our ody is up!:whistle:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Have they recently changed the recommendation? Most manuals I've read say 1/2" and that's what we were taught (granted I'm in Canada, but I thought I've seen other techs post the same.) :confused:

I know you came through the course on the new curriculum though, so maybe they've changed it?

My tech course also was the newer U.S. curriculum, and we were taught within 1" of the buckle for locking clip placement. I don't believe this differed at all from the earlier U.S. tech course curriculum. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC