OT, but about child safety

ADS

tracyb

And mine only showed three, when I know for a fact there are more.

Some things to keep in mind...

1. In many areas "registered sex offender" also includes crimes such as urinating in public.

2. The vast majority of sex offenders are not caught after their first victim. Or their second, or their third... so never assume anyone is safe simply because they're not listed in a database.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Eeeew, ick...there were too many to count in my zip code...and some guys were listed like 20 times (it was too slow/sketchy a connection to click every one and see if it was different addresses or crimes, but I'm not any more curious, anyway).

Interesting, nonetheless....

trishlynne

I think this is nearly meaningless...

almost all children are sexually assaulted by someone they already know. The risk of it being a stranger are VERY VERY low. Also, there are people on the list who are say....a 19yo with a 17yo girlfriend who has an angry father. AND...there are people who never make it ON to the list. That's the case with my daughter's assailant (and yes, it was someone she knew). Because he was a minor, it's not technically a crime, even though he's very very very likely to continue his behavior.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
That was my original thought on it Trishlynne - but I also figured it's better to be safer than sorry as the saying goes.... I hadn't thought of the public urinating thing, though @@

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Here's where I chime in with my recommendation of the book Protecting the Gift by Gavin de Becker!

It's an excellent book on keeping kids safe from predators.

U

Unregistered

That's a GREAT book. I highly recommend it. I had actually read it BEFORE my daughter was assaulted, and I DID NOT trust my gut. Had I really trusted my gut, I would have run screaming 1.5 years before the assault. But I wanted to be "nice". I was told that I was just being "prejudice". And being the good liberal that I am, not wanting to be thought of as a bigot, I let HUGE HUGE HUGE warning signs get swept under the rug. Although, I didn't ever think that she would be assaulted, never in a million years, but I for SURE had that "something is NOT right" feeling.

The book is also available on tape, in condensed form (but still good).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC