Is this true?

xdjkatx

Texas,

I heard some one say that it's against the law to have a baby seat in a 2 door car. Is this true? I drive a honda prelude, so I have a 2 door car and if that's the case, I don't want to get in trouble.

Thanks

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I originally read this as a "two-seater" car. Maybe that's what person who originally told the OP heard, because of not being able to put a RF seat in front of an airbag?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Though a two seater car will have an option for the airbag to be turned off.... So then it is legal and safe to do it. Well, as safe as a car is without a backseat.

Wendy

Defrost

Even older two-seaters, though? I'm just wondering if whoever told the OP that was thinking of older two-seaters that don't have automatic shut-offs or key-locks for the airbags.

Even so, it's very odd that it somehow got turned around to mean "two-door" in their mind!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would assume that older two seaters don't have airbags then. Were there a couple of years where there wasn't an option to turn one off if it was there?

Wendy

Defrost

Yes, quite a few two-seaters had airbags that can't be shut off except by the dealer, if you include trucks. They would all be pretty old models, but perhaps someone had one years ago and doesn't realize things have changed. :shrug-shoulders:

Kind of OT, but I just couldn't think of where such a statement might have come from!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I remember when I was growing up that my mom joked with my dad once that driving without a shirt on was illegal. I couldn't have been older than 8, and I believed her. I was in college before I looked it up. Maybe it started like that?

Wendy

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
As a Texas CPST/I I can say 100% that 2 door or 2 seaters you can install a child restraint in. While not advised to place a baby in front of an active airbag but it can be done. If you have a 2 seater and have to install a rear facing carseat in that position you need to get the airbag deactived either with by the dealership or if there is a factory installed deactivation switch.

Texas does have a misuse clause to make sure you are following the car seat manufacture guidelines.

Defrost

I remember when I was growing up that my mom joked with my dad once that driving without a shirt on was illegal. I couldn't have been older than 8, and I believed her. I was in college before I looked it up. Maybe it started like that?

LOL! My bf once had a cop (his step-dad) inform me that driving barefoot was illegal. :D

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Man, that guy had too much time on his hands, Wendy. I did know that it wasn't illegal in atleast one of the states he was talking about.

I learned to drive there, and used to kick my flip-flops off as I got in the car, much to the dismay of my instructor. She tried to tell me it was illegal. At the time, I had my cute little book that gave me all the codes. "Ms Teacher!!! I like read this thing from front to back and can't find the code that says it's not okay to be barefoot!!! Can we like go down there and ask?" So, we did. And it wasn't. So I drove barefoot. And she was pissed! I felt like I had better control (compared to wearing the flip flops, atleast.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC