Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Graco SafeSeat step 2

Tell me about the harness height I saw on another board that harness heigth is high and the seat is easy to use and plus the recline feature and lock offs on this seat I know it only goes to 40lbs but at this point I may not need anthing over 40lbs but will need some thing with lock offs for 2 cars that only have elr belts 95 models. Does any one know how high the harness is I never see anyone talk bout this seat on here. thanks in advance and have happy holidays

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Graco SafeSeat step 2

No, it's not high at all. It's about 15 inches, maybe 15 and a 1/4.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
    No, it's not high at all. It's about 15 inches, maybe 15 and a 1/4.
    Are you sure? I thought I remembered seeing that it was reasonably high, but wasn't recommended because it's use is so limited for those practicing ERFing.
    Liz
    Mom to:
    Rachael (11/03), Emily (8/06), and Naomi (1/09)

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by abacus2 View Post
    Are you sure? I thought I remembered seeing that it was reasonably high, but wasn't recommended because it's use is so limited for those practicing ERFing.

I measured it at BRU only a few weeks ago.

humm some say its high and some say low I just cant afford a britax and really need a built in lock off seat due to grandparents not knowing or taking the time to use a locking clip when they have both grandkids they have a 95 Towncar one they put in the middle locking latch plate and one goes on the side and we have used a fisher price safe embrace until now both girls are too tall and its now expired. I dont know if we can wait for the ture fit to come out.

Carseat Crazy

I thought it was 17 inches.....I put my son in one last winter and he had about as much space as he does in his FPSVD. That was when they were rumored to be changing to 50 lbs. It looks like a nice seat to me, except for the 40 lbs weight limit and it is really large.
    Erin, Mom to Noah
    8/03, 42# 46" riding in
    SK Montereys

CPS Fanatic

DEFINITELY not 17 inches. Unless they cut them from different molds. The one I measured was just a hair over 15, and barely. My three year old, who still has gobs of room in a Marathon, was much too big for it.

Nope, ThreeBeans is correct. The harness slots are quite low. My DD had outgrown it by 27 months, but still has about two inches in the Britax seats today.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

I am going to Target tomorrow for christmas shopping, I may check out the SS1 while I am there if I can manage. I may be wrong, but I am almost 100% positive that the SS1 we tried out last year had higher slots than the Marathon's (maybe 1.5 to 2 inches higher). But the shoulder-area was too narrow for my 2 year old. Maybe they have changed the top slots or there is a variation going on. The 40 lb weight limit stinks.

ETA: I was at Target today and they didn't have it out on display. To be continued.
    Last edited by Momto1bigkiddo; 12-24-2007 at 01:51 AM.
    Katie, proud mom to one brilliant boy.
    4 years old, 44'' tall, 16.25'' torso, 42 lbs.
    Riding in a Britax Regent - Onyx

They're pretty high... Charlie still fits in it easily, and he's outgrown almost all the other forty pound seats. He's only got about an inch to go in the Marathon, and I'd say he has just a smidge less than that in the SS2, maybe about 3/4 inch.
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you. 
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.  

I got a smidge over 15" when I measured at BRU.
    11yo DD *69lb* Backless Turbo
    8.5yo DD *45lb* High Back Turbobooster/Pink Monterey
    6yo DS *43lb* Cowmoo Parkway SG/Lizards In Line Turbobooster
    2y4m DD*24lb*RF in an Alma MR 65 and Kathryn RA 55

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Hmmm, sounds like the SS2 is one of those seats that might actually fit a child differently than however the top slot measurement might indicate, and it may also depend on how upright the SS2 is when installed in the car. It sounds like a good one to try out before buying if possible to see how a kiddo fits from the sounds of it.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mburks26 View Post
    humm some say its high and some say low I just cant afford a britax and really need a built in lock off seat due to grandparents not knowing or taking the time to use a locking clip when they have both grandkids they have a 95 Towncar one they put in the middle locking latch plate and one goes on the side
    If they have locking latchplates, they don't need lock-offs or locking clips.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    If they have locking latchplates, they don't need lock-offs or locking clips.
    the center is lap only locking latch plate the outboard is only locks sudden stops or in a crash like my civic so when they have both girls one sits in the middle so it doesnt matter what seat that is but the outboard we would need a locking clip or lock offs

They have locking latchplates on the outboard seats. Most people are familiar with switchable retractors (the kid you pull out all the way to lock), so they make the mistake of thinking that a seatbelt without them doesn't lock. A locking latchplate locks the LAP portion of the belt, the shoulder belt will still freely slide until a crash.

It is possible to have switchable retractors on JUST the lap portion of the belt as well, but is fairly rare. If the seatbelt buckle (aka latchplate) is sewn on, try pulling the LAP belt out all the way. My Suburban has this on the front passenger seat.

Lincoln is Ford, so a 95 may well have locking latchplates outboard. I know both GM and Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep do in that vintage. I just don't have a lot of experience with Ford.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

CPS Technician

I just sat AJ in this seat over the weekend and he still fit and he has about a 16" torso so I'm guessing the slots are 16.5-17".
    Jennifer, Special Needs CPST, peds nurse, and CSFTL Admin mom to:
    AJ-13 (five steps), Evan-11 (nbb),
    Ilana-9 (nbb) ,
    Olivia-7 (hbb), and
    Unity-3 (rf and ff)

CPS Fanatic

What a bizarre discrepancy.

Next time in the store I'm going to measure the heck out of it, and take photos with both kids in it. I'd appreciate it if others can do the same.

SafeSeat2, 26 months:
    ETA: At that point, her torso was 14.5" and she was 1/2" from the top slot in the SS2.

The same day in a Blvd:

im confused now I thought all cars pre 96-97 did not have locking seatbelts. I found this site http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=106&scid and it says that the belts do not hold child seats under the seat belts air bag for towncar 95-96 but when I went to the recall website theres nothing listed about the seat belts Im pretty sure they are not locking latch plate outboard it slides freely theres not bar like pics I have seen on locking latch plate belts

After 1996, all cars were required to have some type of locking mechanism on the seat belt. But, prior to that some cars locked, either at the latchplate or at the retractor. I am not familiar with that car specifically, but you can test your seat belt very easily. To test for a locking latchplate, buckle the seatbelt, and try to pull up on the lap portion. If the belt does not slide freely, you have a locking latchplate.