Graco SafeSeat step 2

mburks26

Tell me about the harness height I saw on another board that harness heigth is high and the seat is easy to use and plus the recline feature and lock offs on this seat I know it only goes to 40lbs but at this point I may not need anthing over 40lbs but will need some thing with lock offs for 2 cars that only have elr belts 95 models. Does any one know how high the harness is I never see anyone talk bout this seat on here. thanks in advance and have happy holidays :)

ADS

mburks26

humm some say its high and some say low I just cant afford a britax and really need a built in lock off seat due to grandparents not knowing or taking the time to use a locking clip when they have both grandkids they have a 95 Towncar one they put in the middle locking latch plate and one goes on the side and we have used a fisher price safe embrace until now both girls are too tall and its now expired. I dont know if we can wait for the ture fit to come out.

NOAHSMOM

I thought it was 17 inches.....I put my son in one last winter and he had about as much space as he does in his FPSVD. That was when they were rumored to be changing to 50 lbs. It looks like a nice seat to me, except for the 40 lbs weight limit and it is really large.

ThreeBeans

DEFINITELY not 17 inches. Unless they cut them from different molds. The one I measured was just a hair over 15, and barely. My three year old, who still has gobs of room in a Marathon, was much too big for it.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Nope, ThreeBeans is correct. The harness slots are quite low. My DD had outgrown it by 27 months, but still has about two inches in the Britax seats today.

Momto1bigkiddo

I am going to Target tomorrow for christmas shopping, I may check out the SS1 while I am there if I can manage. I may be wrong, but I am almost 100% positive that the SS1 we tried out last year had higher slots than the Marathon's (maybe 1.5 to 2 inches higher). But the shoulder-area was too narrow for my 2 year old. Maybe they have changed the top slots or there is a variation going on. :confused: The 40 lb weight limit stinks.

ETA: I was at Target today and they didn't have it out on display. To be continued. :)

Last edited:

Splash

They're pretty high... Charlie still fits in it easily, and he's outgrown almost all the other forty pound seats. He's only got about an inch to go in the Marathon, and I'd say he has just a smidge less than that in the SS2, maybe about 3/4 inch.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hmmm, sounds like the SS2 is one of those seats that might actually fit a child differently than however the top slot measurement might indicate, and it may also depend on how upright the SS2 is when installed in the car. It sounds like a good one to try out before buying if possible to see how a kiddo fits from the sounds of it. :twocents:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
humm some say its high and some say low I just cant afford a britax and really need a built in lock off seat due to grandparents not knowing or taking the time to use a locking clip when they have both grandkids they have a 95 Towncar one they put in the middle locking latch plate and one goes on the side

If they have locking latchplates, they don't need lock-offs or locking clips. :confused:

mburks26

If they have locking latchplates, they don't need lock-offs or locking clips. :confused:

the center is lap only locking latch plate the outboard is only locks sudden stops or in a crash like my civic so when they have both girls one sits in the middle so it doesnt matter what seat that is but the outboard we would need a locking clip or lock offs

skaterbabs

They have locking latchplates on the outboard seats. Most people are familiar with switchable retractors (the kid you pull out all the way to lock), so they make the mistake of thinking that a seatbelt without them doesn't lock. A locking latchplate locks the LAP portion of the belt, the shoulder belt will still freely slide until a crash.

It is possible to have switchable retractors on JUST the lap portion of the belt as well, but is fairly rare. If the seatbelt buckle (aka latchplate) is sewn on, try pulling the LAP belt out all the way. My Suburban has this on the front passenger seat.

Lincoln is Ford, so a 95 may well have locking latchplates outboard. I know both GM and Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep do in that vintage. I just don't have a lot of experience with Ford.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I just sat AJ in this seat over the weekend and he still fit and he has about a 16" torso so I'm guessing the slots are 16.5-17".

ThreeBeans

What a bizarre discrepancy.

Next time in the store I'm going to measure the heck out of it, and take photos with both kids in it. I'd appreciate it if others can do the same. :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
SafeSeat2, 26 months:
ETA: At that point, her torso was 14.5" and she was 1/2" from the top slot in the SS2.
anna007.jpg

The same day in a Blvd:
anna011.jpg

mburks26

im confused now I thought all cars pre 96-97 did not have locking seatbelts. I found this site http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=106&scid and it says that the belts do not hold child seats under the seat belts air bag for towncar 95-96 but when I went to the recall website theres nothing listed about the seat belts Im pretty sure they are not locking latch plate outboard it slides freely theres not bar like pics I have seen on locking latch plate belts

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
After 1996, all cars were required to have some type of locking mechanism on the seat belt. But, prior to that some cars locked, either at the latchplate or at the retractor. I am not familiar with that car specifically, but you can test your seat belt very easily. To test for a locking latchplate, buckle the seatbelt, and try to pull up on the lap portion. If the belt does not slide freely, you have a locking latchplate.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC