Help with graco safeseat step 1 (base) install

ygillard

Hello,

I am trying to install the base for a graco safeseat step 1 in my 2006 Audi A6 and as it is the fisrt time I am installing a baby car seat, I want to make sure that I am doing it right.

1) Should I install in middle (no latch but seat belt) or on one of the side?

2) I read in the manual that the seat should not move by more than 1 inch. Is that in any direction and no matter which part of the base I am trying to move? (I tried to install the base and while I can barely move it close to the back of the rear car seat, I can move it left and right and up and down by more than an inch at the other extremity)

3) I have read that you sometimes need a "nuddle" to help stabilize the seat. How do you know if you need one or not?

Thanks.

Yves

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Hi, welcome!

1. Yes, you can install the seat in the center position with the seat belt (unless the vehicle manual specifically doesn't allow it), as long as you can get a good install.

2. When checking for movement after installation, you put one hand on the seat at the belt path (where the seat belt or LATCH belt) goes through the seat. Push and pull it side-to-side; you want it to move less than an inch. Then, with your hand in the same place, try to pull it away from the seat back - again, you want it to move less than an inch.

RF seats always have some movement at the top of the seat.

3. I think you mean a "noodle," right? That means a pool noodle, the kind used for floating & playing with in the swimming pool. They are used ONLY to get RF seats at the 45 degree angle, not for stabilization, and they are not always required. It depends on the type of carseat you have and the type of vehicle you seat have (some are "dipped" very deep near the back and make the RF seat sit too upright).

lovinwaves

1) Center is the safest position, but only if you can get a good install there.

2) The proper way to check installation is to place one hand near the beltpath and try to move the seat side to side. You may also try to move it front to back, but more than likely it won't with the SS1 if you have no movement side to side.

3) Pool Noodles are probably not needed with the SS1. It has a very nice adjustable base on it. You will need a 45 degree angle for newborns. Once the child is old enough to hold their head up you can install the child restraint all the way up to 30 degree upright.

The reason your carseat base seems flimsy or lose in the front when installed is because the seat is designed to "cocoon" in the event of an accident. This means in a frontal crash your carseat will rebound towards the rear of the vehicle seat and "cocoon" the child in the process. This is perfectly safe, and can also help the child "ride down" the crash.

U

Unregistered

The reason your carseat base seems flimsy or lose in the front when installed is because the seat is designed to "cocoon" in the event of an accident. This means in a frontal crash your carseat will rebound towards the rear of the vehicle seat and "cocoon" the child in the process. This is perfectly safe, and can also help the child "ride down" the crash.[/QUOTE]

The above statement should be mentioned WAY more often. You always hear that the seat should be completely secured only moving 1" max. in either direction. If installed correctly, you can put your hand under the front of the seat and raise it to almost hitting the back of the vehicle's seat. I stuggled for hours trying to figure out why there was no "latch" for the front. I almost rigged up a secure bolt on the floor of the car in the back seat to bolt down the front of the car seat so there would be no movement. NOWHERE in the manufacturers manual, website, etc. does it mention that the front of the seat should be able to "fly up" and cocoon the baby in an accident and that this is the way it is designed for.
Even in the how to videos, not one mentions that. This should be noted.

thank you!

U

Unregistered

Thank you. Nowhere have I found this explained. I am a father again with a 30month old and had probably forgotten about how much movement there was.

I

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC