NY Times Blog re: Lap Babies

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I've flown with babies/toddlers twice, both times were overseas (Des Moines to Frankfurt and Frankfurt to Des Moines). I didn't find the carseat to be a problem, any more than it is in the car. My little ones were able to nurse as soon as the fasten seatbelt sign turned off. They slept in their seats just like they do in the car, which meant that I could sleep too. I wouldn't have been able to do that nearly as well while holding them. It was also much easier to eat without having to hold a baby/toddler. We unbuckled for potty and nursing breaks and to stretch our legs a couple of times, but mostly, they stayed safely buckled.

I'm all for AP and natural parenting, but keep in mind, there's absolutely nothing natural about hurling yourself down the road inside a steel cage at 50 mph or literally flying through the air at 500+ mph. That's why mom's arms aren't adequate to keep a baby safe in a car or plane, period. If you choose to do something "unnatural" like driving or flying, you must also do the "unnatural" things necessary to keep you and your child safe. Buckle up!

ADS

keri1292

As an AP mama, I would never suggest not feeding baby on a flight. I'd just wait until the pilot allowed seatbelts off and buckle baby when finished. We flew a few months ago with 2 carseats. It was their first flight and they slept thru takeoff! No ear issues at all. I think you'd be surprised how comforting the familiarity of their carseat can be. Carseat = naptime to most babies and toddlers. :thumbsup:

scatterbunny

I'm all for AP and natural parenting, but keep in mind, there's absolutely nothing natural about hurling yourself down the road inside a steel cage at 50 mph or literally flying through the air at 500+ mph. That's why mom's arms aren't adequate to keep a baby safe in a car or plane, period. If you choose to do something "unnatural" like driving or flying, you must also do the "unnatural" things necessary to keep you and your child safe. Buckle up!

:thumbsup:

shauburg

I know a few people who actually plan to fly more before their babies turn 2 because they don't have to buy them a seat. They don't understand why we are not taking advantage of this great opportunity to book a trip with our DS. I just tell them that since I would buy him a seat anyway, I'll take a trip when I want or need to take a trip, not just because I can take him free now. They just look at me like I'm nuts. Oh, well :shrug-shoulders:

I got a kick out of reading the comments too. I could not believe this one:

December 20th, 2007 8:06 am "Up to 22 pounds a baby should fit in a carrier much like a dog’s and fit on the floor in front of its parent."

What brand of carrier do you think she was referring to? And I'm sure any baby would just love being placed on the floor :rolleyes: What was this person thinking!!!

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
ITA, they should do the half price ticket. Im not quite sure, but didnt they do that years ago?

Most airlines stopped doing the half priced fares a year or two ago as flights became more full. When the flight wasn't full, it made sense to sell a ticket a half price (compared to not selling it). Now, they would sell the seat to a full fare paying adult, so they have no incentive to discount the ticket for an infant.

With DS1 (he's almost 4) we always were able to get half fare tickets. With DS2 (20 months), maybe the first flight or two, but not in the past year.

The other thing that these posters seem to ignore, and one of my biggest arguments for using a seat on the plane, is how are these children restrained at their destination? Airline ever lose your luggage?

lizajane30

The other thing that these posters seem to ignore, and one of my biggest arguments for using a seat on the plane, is how are these children restrained at their destination? Airline ever lose your luggage?

Yes, we lost our carseat last time we flew. The airline provided one until they returned ours. Of course it was not the seat I would have chosen for him, but it got us to our destination. I have to admit to being fairly wary of checking the carseat since that incident.

As for the comment about putting a child in a carrier at the parent's feet...I'm pretty sure that was a joke.

-Linda

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC