Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Volvo XC-70 new option -- What to think

Because I'm a fan, I read this review "A Wagon Survives a Slippery Slope."

Believe me, if I had the money, I'd look into a new wagon. I guess I'm not typical I don't want anything that "rides just like a car". I want a car that can occasionally carry large items and heavy loads.

This is what I found most interesting:

Handsome seats feature the excellent support and side bolsters typical of Volvo. The backseat features a genuine advance: a pair of integrated two-position child booster cushions (a $495 option) that adjust to fit children of various sizes. Adaptive seat belts easily adjust to match the raised seats, while side-curtain air bags extend farther downward to protect young noggins.

It’s an ingenious idea. There is no need to buy booster seats, no time-consuming switching of seats between cars and no more anxiety over whether they’re properly in place. Studies in the United States and Europe have found that nearly half of booster seats are unsafely installed

Hmmm.
    And that's about all I can say at this point. I don't know if this is would be a or for those kids that many parents place into boosters as soon as they hit 30lbs+.
    Oh, and I thought that child seats were incorrectly installed, not boosters. So I"m a bit confused.

Any thoughts?
    My Munchkin -- Nov 2008--5 years, 45.5", 42lbs
    Current Stats: 12 years old /5'5/ 115lbs/ Seatbelt

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Phillip K. Dick

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Volvo XC-70 new option -- What to think

They are including this option in the new V70 wagons as well--since I drive one, they send me emails with stuff, and I'm a geek, so I read them. I looked at what they were going to look like. I think that it's cool that they are offering a booster that has more than one position--some people who might not otherwise use a booster *might* use one, and perhaps it would fit better. The booster was an option for my '04, but I knew that I could buy a much better booster for WAYYY cheaper. People want them, though, and they will buy them. It's better than what they had before....

The feature that actually interested me was the integrated dvd player screens in the back of the headrests of the front seats--while I don't use a dvd player often, I hate strapping them to the back of our seats--projectile city. Of course, when we do use them, we're on a long trip, with all of the accompanying junk....
    The Groovymom, Mom to DS v1.0 in a seatbelt and DS v2.0, in the Monterrey

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Oh yeah, people use boosters wrong, too... (belts behind armrests, headrests not raised to fit kids, belts behind backs, belts not in belt guides, seats placed in the center with outboard belts over the kid...) 80% wrong is for carseats (most of us see 99% misuse once we get in and look), so 50% wrong for boosters may well be right.

Geesh, though, can't they at least base the minimum weight on the 3 yo/34 pound dummy? Why this market convention of 30 pounds all the time with the boosters...?

So I'd love to see this (back on topic, lol)... I hope they are better than the old built in boosters (not bad, but not known for their extreme comfort...I've seen kids complain about them). They make Cleks look cheap, too
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

They make Cleks look cheap, too
    That they do....hmmmm...justification for a clek?

LOL! And you know..I used ours today unlatched and it was great (it just wouldn't quite fit next to the Roundabout in the center when I used the latch).

Ok, sorry to hijack again, lol... I wonder when we can see pics of these new Volvo seats?
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

http://www.volvocars.us/models/V70/which/Compare.htm

Here's a link that has a picture and video clip.

I can't seem to copy and paste the picture. If the link doesn't take you right to it, scroll down to child safety.

ETA: I watched the video(no sound on, though)--most of the kids that they have using the highest stage setting should be harnessed in an ideal world. Also, if you've never seen what the seatbelts look like in a Volvo, the video gives you a good picture--now you know why I complain about that center location. If the 2 stage booster option had been available in the center position of my car, I would have gotten it, knowing what I know now about getting 3 across--I bet it's easier.
    Last edited by groovymom2000; 12-21-2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: addtitional thought

Wowzers, it IS starting at 33 pounds (and 37 inches...just like that 3 yo dummy I'm so in love with, lol).

That's really cool... I wish every car had that (maybe one day...sigh...)
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by groovymom2000 View Post
    http://www.volvocars.us/models/V70/which/Compare.htm

Here's a link that has a picture and video clip.

I can't seem to copy and paste the picture. If the link doesn't take you right to it, scroll down to child safety.

ETA: I watched the video(no sound on, though)--most of the kids that they have using the highest stage setting should be harnessed in an ideal world. Also, if you've never seen what the seatbelts look like in a Volvo, the video gives you a good picture--now you know why I complain about that center location. If the 2 stage booster option had been available in the center position of my car, I would have gotten it, knowing what I know now about getting 3 across--I bet it's easier.
    Thanks for the link. I watched it 'with the sound on' Helped out a lot for the visual too.

Copied from the website
    The dual two-stage integrated booster seats w/adaptive seatbelts are another safety world first by Volvo. These integrated seats adjust two heights to accommodate children of different sizes. Now even smaller children can be seated higher to enjoy a safer and more comfortable ride. And as the children grow, the seat height can be adjusted accordingly. This optimizes the seatbelt geometry, and will – together with the built-in seatbelt load limiter – help reduce the strain on the child's neck and chest. And when the booster cushions are not needed, they're easily folded into the rear seat cushions.

The upper setting is designed for children measuring 37-47 in. and weighing between 33 and 55 lbs., while the lower setting is intended for children between 45 and 55 in. height and weighing between 48 and 80 lbs.

Remember what we were talking about recently where the Swedes were in favor of ff'd with booster, but not 5pt harness? Supposedly because the system doesn't 'give' enough to be safe for a child's body. This is probably where Volvo believes that using a 3pt is just as good, if not safer, than extended harnessing.

If my daughter had the same stats at age 5 or 6 as she does now at 4 years (42.5": 40lbs), I probably would feel very comfortable placing her in one of these seats. They do fit well. But since she reached their minimum weight/height limits at 25months , I'd have to say 'no thanks' for the smaller fit.

Then again, here in TX, if they were in this Volvo, the 3pt seatbelt law for kids would actually markedly safer than it is currently.
    My Munchkin -- Nov 2008--5 years, 45.5", 42lbs
    Current Stats: 12 years old /5'5/ 115lbs/ Seatbelt

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Phillip K. Dick

Moderator - CPST Instructor griffinmom's Avatar

I think Volvo's pushing it to call these "new". In older XC 70's and XC 90's, built in boosters have been an option for a while. Ok, so they weren't "dual stage" boosters, but built in boosters none the less.

My 04 XC90 has a built in booster which is fine. Since 9 yo DS has only been out of his Husky for a year, we haven't used it that long. It is nice if you want to quickly fold it away, but hardly worth the price quoted!
    Emily
    CPS Tech and Instructor

Senior Community Member

If I remember correctly, Volvo also has automatic pretensioners in its rear seatbelts, which is a really nice safety feature for kids in boosters. I think they're the only manufacturer with those, or at least the only one in my price range!
    DD#1 (7 y, 5 mo, 54 in, 68 lbs ) Clek Olli
    DD#2 (4 y, 2 months, 43 in, 42 lbs) Britax Marathon

Senior Community Member

My sister's 04 S40 has two built-in boosters. They're not "dual-stage" but I really like them. The headrests also turn down on the sides to provide a little space to rest your head on.

Moderator - CPST Instructor griffinmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twokidstwodogs View Post
    If I remember correctly, Volvo also has automatic pretensioners in its rear seatbelts, which is a really nice safety feature for kids in boosters. I think they're the only manufacturer with those, or at least the only one in my price range!
    I remember one of the selling points of my car was that it has pretensioners in all 7 seating positions. I think pretensioners are great, but I still have yet to have 7 people in the car all at one time!
    Emily
    CPS Tech and Instructor