Recalled Car Seats..WATCH OUT!!!!

J

jimmayor007

When considering a car seat, any car seat be sure that the one you are buying has not been recalled. Looking through this list of infant car seats, I have noticed a few that have been recalled and/or are 10-15 years old. It is not safe to use a car seat that old because laws have changed and companies are making their seats safer. The ones that have been recalled that I have noticed are as follows:

The Graco or Century infant seat The recall involves all Century rear-facing infant car seats/carriers with one-piece handles manufactured from January 1991 through July 1997. The date of manufacture, written as month, day, year (010191 through 073197), can be found on a label on the side of the seat. The recalled car seats/carriers have a molded, one-piece, one-color plastic handle colored white, gray, or tan. Century has received more than 2,700 reports of handle-related problems, including handles breaking, cracking or possibly not being locked while the seat is being used as a carrier.

also the Evenflo Joyride Infant car seat: Evenflo Co. Inc., of Vandalia, Ohio, is recalling about 3.4 million Joyride® infant car seats/carriers. When the seat is used as an infant carrier, the handle can unexpectedly release, causing the seat to flip forward. When this happens, an infant inside the carrier can fall to the ground and suffer serious injuries. The recall involves all Evenflo Joyride® car seats/carriers, which are white or gray plastic with seat pads of various colors and patterns. "Evenflo Joyride Car Seat/Carrier" is written on the outside of the handle locks. The seats have model numbers beginning with 203, 205, 210, 435 or 493, which can be found on a label underneath or on the side the car seat/carrier.

Juvenile product, mass merchandise and major discount stores nationwide sold the car seats/carriers from January 1988 through December 1998 for about $30 when sold alone, $48 when sold as a Travel Tandem® (with a detachable convenience base), and $89 when sold with a matching stroller.Buyer beware!! it's not worth saving a few bucks by buying something that could injure your very very precious small infant.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Here is the NHTSA report for the Century seats. It is quite an old recall.

Here is the NHTSA report for the Evenflo Joyride, again an older recall.

sfeitler

Here is the NHTSA report for the Century seats. It is quite an old recall.

And surely those seats have expired, at any rate. Most seats are good for just 6 years, which would be very late 2001, at this point. I don't think there are any seats good past 8 years, which would be very late 1999...

-Sarah

southpawboston

i'm confused. why would a first-time poster post this information about long-ago expired carseats? i could see a good intention behind doing so, but i would hope that a first-time poster would also lurk around a little and see that there is more current and relevant information already available.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
And surely those seats have expired, at any rate. Most seats are good for just 6 years, which would be very late 2001, at this point. I don't think there are any seats good past 8 years, which would be very late 1999...

-Sarah

Yes, I agree that the seats must be expired.

Evenflo seats expire after 6yrs and I believe that Century says the same thing. I'm just confused with the original post so I pulled up the original recall.

Stretchy Glue

The unfortunate thing is that I've confiscated 3 T-shield seats, 2 of which were made in the 1980's. People really feel safe using seats if they look okay.
I thought this thread was "odd" from a first time poster, but I guess it never hurts to remind people. Maybe this is the wrong audience though, since most of us are slightly obsessed.:whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC