Mighty-Tite

Devenity

I seen a member here earlier that had a picture of a mighty tighty with a circle and a line drawn through it. I have used the mighty tighty on both car seats and seems to be the only way I can get them tight enough so they don't move more than an inch side to side. Has there been a study or something showing that they are unsafe?

ADS

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Re: Mighty Tighty

They can ruin (even sever) seatbelts. They can also fly off the belt and become projectiles. In several states, they are illegal because they are a seatbelt-altering device.

It is nearly always possible to get a perfect installation without them.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

There's been pictures of the Mighty Tight cutting through seatbelts. Plus they're heavy and will go flying in a collision. There are stories (from people here, I think) where it was so tight on the seatbelt that they couldn't get it off. They also stretch the seatbelt (which can lead to fraying and tears as the seatbelt stresses). The seatbelt needs to stretch in a collision, it helps slow down the stop. If you stretch it beforehand all of those forces that would go through the seatbelt are going to be transferred to the carseat and your baby.

They are death traps. Take them off. Go to a tech and have them show you how to install your seats properly if you need a hand. That's their job, don't let them just install it for you. But those are evilness in a $15 package. Your seat still isn't in properly, it's just not moving.

Wendy

ThreeBeans

They are horribly, horribly unsafe and should absolutely NEVER be used.

There is never a need for an aftermarket product like that. If you are having trouble installing a seat, a tech will help you get it in properly and show you how to repeat the install by yourself :thumbsup:

Starlight

Senior Community Member

The instructions for the Mighty-Tite clearly say to "Properly install the child safety seat in accordance with the installation procedures provided by both the manufacturer of the child safety seat and the vehicle."

http://skjp.com/Media/MTinstructions5_03.pdf

If you are properly installing the seat per the directions, you have less than one inch, and therefore don't need the Mighty-Tite. Furthermore, if you read your whole child safety seat manual, you'll find that aftermarket products are not acceptable. And therefore, the Mighty-Tite is not acceptable.

Glad to know my avatar is helping people.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

The instructions for the Mighty-Tite clearly say to "Properly install the child safety seat in accordance with the installation procedures provided by both the manufacturer of the child safety seat and the vehicle."

http://skjp.com/Media/MTinstructions5_03.pdf

If you are properly installing the seat per the directions, you have less than one inch, and therefore don't need the Mighty-Tite. Furthermore, if you read your whole child safety seat manual, you'll find that aftermarket products are not acceptable. And therefore, the Mighty-Tite is not acceptable.

Glad to know my avatar is helping people.

:yeahthat:

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member

I also used to use the Mighty Tite, 3 - 4 years ago, before I knew any better. I really bought into the 'crash tested' claim on the package and used them on all of my seats in any cars that I installed them in. Once I learned that they were not safe, I threw them all away (I had 4 of the evil things!) and I still worry about the unseen damage that they could have done to the seat belts I used them on. Once the Mighty Tites were gone, I very quickly learned how to install a seat without one. Now, looking back on it, I think just having Mighty Tites and seeing that ratcheting action at work made me think that I couldn't ever get car seats installed tight enough on my own. I now know that is NOT the case and I really do believe that ANYONE can learn to install a car seat properly. Find a tech in your area... they will be more than willing to help you out.

Stretchy Glue

At a check up recently we removed a seat with the might tite, and when we inspected the female end of the seatbelt, we noticed that it had cracked the plastic on the seatbelt stalk AND caused the CR to press into the plastic of the seat breaking it.

They just aren't needed.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member

The link Scatterbunny posted is great :thumbsup: Here's why I remove any/all Mighty Tights during seatchecks....
  • there are no safety regulations for such products
  • there is no organization/administration overseeing the safety of such products
  • it could fail in a crash
  • it could cause the carseat to fail in a crash
  • it stretches the vehicle seatbelt webbing
  • it's never necessary
  • if the only way you can get your carseat secure is by using a Mighty Tight, then your child becomes a real life crash test dummy
  • if the only way you can get your carseat secure is by using a Mighty Tight, then you must visit your local CPSTs (we usually have quite a few safe & easy tricks up our sleaves) :whistle:
  • if the only way you can get your carseat secure is by using the Mighty Tight, then there is a potentially fatal incompatability issue between the vehicle + carseat (try a different seat option)
Because the Mighty Tight does not adhere to any safety regulation, using 1 to install your carseat could also be illegal in certain states :twocents:

Devenity

Wow, I had no idea they could be so unsafe. I have looked into it a little more online but there isn't much more info about it except from the CPSafey site and the old blogs from this site. I couldn't find anything on Consumer Reports. Although, I did read a review about someone having installed on their car and got T boned at 25 mph and the mighty tighty severed the seatbelt. Then in another review a mechanical engineer was praising it. Other than that there are no official reports or studies on it. I can see now how they could be dangerous. I will be able to get the seat tight enough without it but probably not as tight as it is with the MT. I am in the pocess of changing out car seats for my oldest from a Marathon to (hopefully) a Radian 65 which should arrive in a few days. My other seat is an Evenflo Triumph I bought in 2005 which is RF.

Anyway, thank you so much for your avatar, Star. Otheriwse, I would've never known this. After I get the Radian installed I an going to get an inspection for both seats. I have needed to get an inspection anyway because I have not been able to locate a tether anchor point in my vehicle. Thanks!

Starlight

Senior Community Member

I am so glad that my avatar helped someone! It started as a joke, honestly. I had TMNT up there before. :ROTFLMAO:

But SPB (SouthPawBoston) deserves some credit too, since he's the one who actually made it for me.

:love:

Good for you for going to get your seats inspected - hopefully, they'll not just be an install service, but will provide you education about properly installing the seats by yourself! That's what they're supposed to do, anyway!

:D

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Consumer Reports should not be trusted about carseats. They're great for stoves and cameras, but leave them on the newstands when it comes to carseats. They have no idea which end of the carseat to put the seatbelt through.

Also, what car do you drive? We can look up where your tether points are, if you have them (or don't), or can give you the part number to order them in you need them. We can at least give you a vague idea if we don't know your car personally.

Wendy

Devenity

Wendy, I posted a seperate post on car safety and found out where my latch system is but I have do some more searching for the tether anchor.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Wendy, I posted a seperate post on car safety and found out where my latch system is but I have do some more searching for the tether anchor.

What kind of car do you drive? Wendy was referring to the tether anchors, not the latch system. If you have latch in your car, you definitely have tether anchors and we can help you find them!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Ok, as long as you're not using the lower anchors without the tether. The tether is required with the lower anchors (LATCH=Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren).

How is your seat installed now? We're probably seriously stressing you out, aren't we?

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC