Dilemma - long car ride and 6yo not harnessed?

KsJET

I now have two Radians and dd1 just had a growth spurt. :( She is even with the top slots - almost over. I'm not comfortable allowing her shoulders to be above the top slots. I can still return one of them to Amazon. That leaves me with two options...put her back in a booster or get a Regent. I really don't want to get a Regent because she would have to be tethered and with needing a carseat for my niece who rides with us often that would not work. I would constantly be moving seats around.

With her stats (in my sig) would you feel comfortable putting her in a booster? If so, which one is the best choice? We have a TurboBooster, but it seems so flimsy so I thought about getting a Monarch or Parkway. But I still have this nagging feeling that I want her to be harnessed. We leave in 2 days for a 1300 mile trip.

WWYD?

ADS

sfeitler

I understand you're not comfortable with having her over the slots, but since Sunshine Kids allows it, if it were me, I'd leave her in the Radian for the 1300 mile trip, and deal with getting a new seat when you get back.

At 6 years old, 48 lbs, 48 inches, I'd be completely comfortable putting her in a booster, as long as she'll sit properly.

-Sarah

jdchic3

If you will still be able to return the Radians when you get back (so you'll still have the option if you decide you want a booster or Regent instead) then I'd just use them for the trip and make up your mind when you return.

armyfam

If she is anything like my almost six year old, I'd keep her harnessed on the long trip. My little girl would slump really bad when she fell asleep in her high back booster. That doesn't seem safe to me at all. We just recently had to bite the bullet and purchase a Regent for our Christmas roadtrip

Suzibeck

What about a booster with an 86-Y harness? That would make moving seats a bit more easy. If your dd sits OK in a booster for short trips then you could use that for everyday with lap/shoulder belt and move it to the tether location to use the 86-Y for long trips. If that works, then the moving of seats shouldn't be frequent, unless you take a lot of long trips.

abacus2

I also say keep what you have for the long trip. It's not like she's going to go from "maybe a tiny bit over" to way over in a few days. With a seat that allows the harness slots to be "up to 1 inch" below the shoulders, a tiny bit over is still extremely safe.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I understand you're not comfortable with having her over the slots, but since Sunshine Kids allows it, if it were me, I'd leave her in the Radian for the 1300 mile trip, and deal with getting a new seat when you get back.

At 6 years old, 48 lbs, 48 inches, I'd be completely comfortable putting her in a booster, as long as she'll sit properly.

-Sarah

:yeahthat:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat:

I'd leave her in the Radian for the trip and get a booster when you get back for full time use.

KsJET

Thanks! I'll leave her in the Radian for the trip. I hope she sleeps in her seat! LOL I figured the Parkway would be enough support since she leans her head back or slightly to the side to sleep - she doesn't slouch forward. But I'll just feel better with her harnessed.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Everything I have read on the Radian her shoulders can not be over the top slot on the 65lb verison. It can be on the 80lb (nor recommended by many of us techs/instructors) but in your siggy is shows you have the 65lb model. So, I am not comfortable saying to keep using a seat that your child has outgrown.

Can I ask how old is your neice and what seat does she ride in when she is with you?

As a mother of a 6 1/2yr old my dd is in a Regent and will be for several more years to come. She rides in a booster seat perfectly and can even sleep in her Parkway with out slumping, But, I know she is by far safer in a 5pt harness then in a booster seat.

I understand your concerns about needing a top tether for your neice but if she is in a convertible carseat installing it with a vehicle seatbelt & not top tethered she will be safe. The seat must meet FMVSS even untethered to be sold. For me my child's everyday safety is far more of a concern to me then the occassional car rides another child would be in my vehicle.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm not sure how the US manual compares to the CDN manual for the regular 65, (the 80 is called the premier here,) but the 65 simply states to discontinue use when the ears reach the top of the seat shell or a total height of 51" is reached. I don't have my manual in front of me otherwise I could quote the exact wording. :thumbsup:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I'm not sure how the US manual compares to the CDN manual for the regular 65, (the 80 is called the premier here,) but the 65 simply states to discontinue use when the ears reach the top of the seat shell or a total height of 51" is reached. I don't have my manual in front of me otherwise I could quote the exact wording. :thumbsup:

But, The Britax Marathon manual (pg 30) say's the same thing. But, We all know that once the child's shoulders are over the top slot they have outgrown the seat.

IMPORTANT: Once the top slots become necessary, the child may continue to use the restraint until the top of the ears become level with the top of the restraint shell or child's weight exceeds 65 pounds (29.5kg).

KsJET

Everything I have read on the Radian her shoulders can not be over the top slot on the 65lb verison. It can be on the 80lb (nor recommended by many of us techs/instructors) but in your siggy is shows you have the 65lb model. So, I am not comfortable saying to keep using a seat that your child has outgrown.

Can I ask how old is your neice and what seat does she ride in when she is with you?

As a mother of a 6 1/2yr old my dd is in a Regent and will be for several more years to come. She rides in a booster seat perfectly and can even sleep in her Parkway with out slumping, But, I know she is by far safer in a 5pt harness then in a booster seat.

I understand your concerns about needing a top tether for your neice but if she is in a convertible carseat installing it with a vehicle seatbelt & not top tethered she will be safe. The seat must meet FMVSS even untethered to be sold. For me my child's everyday safety is far more of a concern to me then the occassional car rides another child would be in my vehicle.

The Radian65 allows shoulders to be above the top slot:

Note: when using uppermost harness position, level of child's shoulders can be above harness slot as long as child is proper height (see page 34).

I don't think I am comfortable with her being more than very slightly above, though.

My niece is in an Evenflo Triumph Advance, but since I have to install and remove her seat quite often I put it in a Captain's Chair. I could put a Regent in the Captain's chair and my niece in the 3rd row when she rides with us, but then it will be hard for me to get to the back to buckle dd2. Putting the Regent in the center 3rd row won't work because then the EFTA won't fit next to it.

What is an 86-Y?

KsJET

If I can find a narrower seat for my niece that will allow her to RF to 35 pounds, that might work with a Regent in the back. I'm not sure what options are available, though. Also, can a Regent be used with just lapbelt installation and top tether for an almost 50lb child?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC