Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dilemma - long car ride and 6yo not harnessed?

I now have two Radians and dd1 just had a growth spurt. She is even with the top slots - almost over. I'm not comfortable allowing her shoulders to be above the top slots. I can still return one of them to Amazon. That leaves me with two options...put her back in a booster or get a Regent. I really don't want to get a Regent because she would have to be tethered and with needing a carseat for my niece who rides with us often that would not work. I would constantly be moving seats around.

With her stats (in my sig) would you feel comfortable putting her in a booster? If so, which one is the best choice? We have a TurboBooster, but it seems so flimsy so I thought about getting a Monarch or Parkway. But I still have this nagging feeling that I want her to be harnessed. We leave in 2 days for a 1300 mile trip.

WWYD?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Dilemma - long car ride and 6yo not harnessed?

I understand you're not comfortable with having her over the slots, but since Sunshine Kids allows it, if it were me, I'd leave her in the Radian for the 1300 mile trip, and deal with getting a new seat when you get back.

At 6 years old, 48 lbs, 48 inches, I'd be completely comfortable putting her in a booster, as long as she'll sit properly.

-Sarah

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

How well does she sit in a booster? Does she sleep much on long trips? That's a lot of time in the car to expect her to sit correctly the entire trip.

Carseat Crazy

I would keep what you have for the trip.

If you will still be able to return the Radians when you get back (so you'll still have the option if you decide you want a booster or Regent instead) then I'd just use them for the trip and make up your mind when you return.
    DD 04-05 66 lbs/4' 6"
    DS1 03-07 66 lbs/4' 3"
    DS2 04-09 49 lbs/3' 9"

Carseat Crazy

If she is anything like my almost six year old, I'd keep her harnessed on the long trip. My little girl would slump really bad when she fell asleep in her high back booster. That doesn't seem safe to me at all. We just recently had to bite the bullet and purchase a Regent for our Christmas roadtrip

do you like the allstar print?i noticed the pic sorry for the out of text quest.

Lol. the All Star! I'll PM you a couple closer pics!
    DD 04-05 66 lbs/4' 6"
    DS1 03-07 66 lbs/4' 3"
    DS2 04-09 49 lbs/3' 9"

What about a booster with an 86-Y harness? That would make moving seats a bit more easy. If your dd sits OK in a booster for short trips then you could use that for everyday with lap/shoulder belt and move it to the tether location to use the 86-Y for long trips. If that works, then the moving of seats shouldn't be frequent, unless you take a lot of long trips.
    Mom to three big girls in adult seat belts (20, 17, and 14) and one booster rider (8) in a Kia Sedona and a VW Tiguan.

I also say keep what you have for the long trip. It's not like she's going to go from "maybe a tiny bit over" to way over in a few days. With a seat that allows the harness slots to be "up to 1 inch" below the shoulders, a tiny bit over is still extremely safe.
    Liz
    Mom to:
    Rachael (11/03), Emily (8/06), and Naomi (1/09)

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sfeitler View Post
    I understand you're not comfortable with having her over the slots, but since Sunshine Kids allows it, if it were me, I'd leave her in the Radian for the 1300 mile trip, and deal with getting a new seat when you get back.

At 6 years old, 48 lbs, 48 inches, I'd be completely comfortable putting her in a booster, as long as she'll sit properly.

-Sarah
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

I'd leave her in the Radian for the trip and get a booster when you get back for full time use.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Thanks! I'll leave her in the Radian for the trip. I hope she sleeps in her seat! LOL I figured the Parkway would be enough support since she leans her head back or slightly to the side to sleep - she doesn't slouch forward. But I'll just feel better with her harnessed.

CPST Instructor

Everything I have read on the Radian her shoulders can not be over the top slot on the 65lb verison. It can be on the 80lb (nor recommended by many of us techs/instructors) but in your siggy is shows you have the 65lb model. So, I am not comfortable saying to keep using a seat that your child has outgrown.

Can I ask how old is your neice and what seat does she ride in when she is with you?

As a mother of a 6 1/2yr old my dd is in a Regent and will be for several more years to come. She rides in a booster seat perfectly and can even sleep in her Parkway with out slumping, But, I know she is by far safer in a 5pt harness then in a booster seat.

I understand your concerns about needing a top tether for your neice but if she is in a convertible carseat installing it with a vehicle seatbelt & not top tethered she will be safe. The seat must meet FMVSS even untethered to be sold. For me my child's everyday safety is far more of a concern to me then the occassional car rides another child would be in my vehicle.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

I'm not sure how the US manual compares to the CDN manual for the regular 65, (the 80 is called the premier here,) but the 65 simply states to discontinue use when the ears reach the top of the seat shell or a total height of 51" is reached. I don't have my manual in front of me otherwise I could quote the exact wording.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
    I'm not sure how the US manual compares to the CDN manual for the regular 65, (the 80 is called the premier here,) but the 65 simply states to discontinue use when the ears reach the top of the seat shell or a total height of 51" is reached. I don't have my manual in front of me otherwise I could quote the exact wording.
    But, The Britax Marathon manual (pg 30) say's the same thing. But, We all know that once the child's shoulders are over the top slot they have outgrown the seat.

IMPORTANT: Once the top slots become necessary, the child may continue to use the restraint until the top of the ears become level with the top of the restraint shell or child's weight exceeds 65 pounds (29.5kg).
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

Quote Originally Posted by jen_nah View Post
    Everything I have read on the Radian her shoulders can not be over the top slot on the 65lb verison. It can be on the 80lb (nor recommended by many of us techs/instructors) but in your siggy is shows you have the 65lb model. So, I am not comfortable saying to keep using a seat that your child has outgrown.

Can I ask how old is your neice and what seat does she ride in when she is with you?

As a mother of a 6 1/2yr old my dd is in a Regent and will be for several more years to come. She rides in a booster seat perfectly and can even sleep in her Parkway with out slumping, But, I know she is by far safer in a 5pt harness then in a booster seat.

I understand your concerns about needing a top tether for your neice but if she is in a convertible carseat installing it with a vehicle seatbelt & not top tethered she will be safe. The seat must meet FMVSS even untethered to be sold. For me my child's everyday safety is far more of a concern to me then the occassional car rides another child would be in my vehicle.
    The Radian65 allows shoulders to be above the top slot:

Note: when using uppermost harness position, level of child's shoulders can be above harness slot as long as child is proper height (see page 34).
    I don't think I am comfortable with her being more than very slightly above, though.

My niece is in an Evenflo Triumph Advance, but since I have to install and remove her seat quite often I put it in a Captain's Chair. I could put a Regent in the Captain's chair and my niece in the 3rd row when she rides with us, but then it will be hard for me to get to the back to buckle dd2. Putting the Regent in the center 3rd row won't work because then the EFTA won't fit next to it.

What is an 86-Y?

If I can find a narrower seat for my niece that will allow her to RF to 35 pounds, that might work with a Regent in the back. I'm not sure what options are available, though. Also, can a Regent be used with just lapbelt installation and top tether for an almost 50lb child?

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Behold the 86Y: http://www.ezonpro.com/products/fami...yHarness.shtml

Yes, the Regent can be installed with a lap-only belt + top tether for kids 50 lbs. and up.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanum View Post
    Behold the 86Y: http://www.ezonpro.com/products/fami...yHarness.shtml

Yes, the Regent can be installed with a lap-only belt + top tether for kids 50 lbs. and up.
    Cool! So would that with a booster be as safe as a 5pt harness?