trying three across in a subaru (pic heavy)

crunchierthanthou

I did some playing around for this thread.

2001 Subaru Outback (LL Bean)
rf RA
ff MA
ds- 3 years, 37", 27 lbs
pictures aren't great; I had to use my phone.

the contour of the seat that makes center installs or moving the carseats closer to the door difficult-

contour.jpg

the seatbelt casing that combined with the hump makes rf center installs practically impossible-
casing.jpg

first try- seats outboard with LATCH

results: there is no humping way anyone would fit in the middle.

sidelatch.jpg

center_latch.jpg

riding_center_latch.jpg

second try- both outboard with seatbelts

results: There is ~11" between seats (at the seatback). It's not likely anyone properly restrained could fit in the center.

(note leaning RA. I thought I got a picture of that from the hatch too, but must not have saved it)
side_seatbelt.jpg

center-seatbelt.jpg

riding_center_seatbelt.jpg

third try- RA outboard, MA center, both with seatbelt

results: There is ~14" in outboard position (at the seatback), which was enough for me to sit there and close the door, but it wasn't comfortable. Also, I wasn't satisfied with the MA install after I removed the RA (definitely more than 1" of movement). There's a small chance IF you can get a Radian install center (I think it would be difficult puzzling next to rf RA and the casing may interfere with the Radian more than the MA, plus long buckle stalks make that a big if) that you could do a radian or RSTV or slight possibility of a booster outboard. The best part about the long buckle stalks is that it was easy to reach once I dug it out from behind the MA.

slightly tilted MA-
tippy_ma.jpg

space_outboard.jpg

riding_outboard.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
Impossible or just practically impossible? If you can get the rf seat in the middle it will give an adult more room to sit next to it.

It looks like there is room in the middle until you put the kid there. LOL Oh and I am impressed with installing seats in the snow! I guess its got to be better than when we do checks when its over 100 outside.

crunchierthanthou

Yeah there is no example of a RF seat in the middle?

because:
the contour of the seat that makes center installs difficult
contour.jpg

the seatbelt casing that combined with the hump makes rf center installs practically impossible-
casing.jpg

Impossible or just practically impossible? If you can get the rf seat in the middle it will give an adult more room to sit next to it.

I'm not Splash with an hour to devote to a so-so Subaru center install and I used the MA instead of the RA (close enough), but I'm going to call that impossible. I had half an hour while my pizza crust rose and tried every trick I could think of. Let's just say that trying to buckle the left buckle (._\.) while twisting that buckle stalk is the most uncomfortable position I've ever tried in that back seat. :eek:

Well, maybe still practically impossible. There's a chance I could have got it with a second set of hands, but I'm doubtful. You can't press into the seatback, but it would still be difficult without that casing. When pressing down instead of back, the narrow hump, leather seats and long buckle stalks (twisted 3 full twists each) still allow too much side to side movement.

Really, it wasn't that cold earlier. Ds was playing in the snow between shots, so the snowpants were a must. He's young enough that I can convince him to wear a hat and gloves whenever he's playing outside.

twokidstwodogs

To make matters worse, the hump just gets humpier in later models. The redesign of the Outback/Legacy in 2005 resulted in an even bigger center hump :(

But thanks for showing us the possibilities!

ETA: Actually, now that I look more closely, that's a pretty big hump you've got in the center there. Maybe it's not worse in the 2005+ ones. Either way, it's a tough center install.

crunchierthanthou

yeah, the LL Bean/VDC hump was ahead of its time. I don't think the other trims of that era had it. We bought this 3 years before we had kids and never expected to only have one car this long. I think I would have looked for something a little more carseat friendly if had known this would be the case. Or maybe not. It has met all the other needs we chose it for. :shrug-shoulders:

Mama!

K, quick question..

Is a little bit of tilt (like the MA pic) acceptable? I know with seatbelt installs sometimes it happens.

twokidstwodogs

yeah, the LL Bean/VDC hump was ahead of its time. I don't think the other trims of that era had it. We bought this 3 years before we had kids and never expected to only have one car this long. I think I would have looked for something a little more carseat friendly if had known this would be the case. Or maybe not. It has met all the other needs we chose it for. :shrug-shoulders:

What's *with* those big humps, anyway? My 1999 Forester had no noticeable center hump, and while the super-annoyingly-long buckle stalk on that car caused me center installation problems, the seats fit well there. It would have been much easier to do three-across in that car than in my Legacy. I suppose the contoured seats would be more comfortable for adults, but how many people routinely carry full-sized adults in Subaru second rows?

On the other hand, my outboard installations are terrific. Plus, it was one of the few station wagons I could find with side curtain airbags for rear passengers, and Subaru sure knows how to make crashworthy cars.

Splash

I do not think a RF install of anything would be possible in a Subaru, save perhaps an infant seat (I was able to get a good install with the SS1 base, thanks to the lock off). Forward facing the best I have gotten is a RYS (current seat), and acceptable (after a LOT of work), but no means stellar with a BV and Regent.

The hump is just... stupid. I don't get it at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC