UPDATED! Baby in Marathon (photos)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I added three more photos down below to show what a difference the cloth diapers make.

She'll be 6 weeks old tomorrow, and I have a MW appointment tomorrow, as well, so I'll know her weight then. She was 7 lb 12 oz at birth and 8 lb 8 oz 2.5 weeks ago. The first two times I put her in the MA, I placed rolled up receiving blankets next to her. This didn't affect the fit, but she seemed to find it comforting.

I've now switched her to a Roundabout, simply because I absolutely DESPISE the HORRID harness adjuster on the Marathon for use rear facing in cold weather. It tightened like a dream this morning in a warm house, but in the car, there were several times where I tried every trick I know, and I still wasn't convinced the harness was as tight as it should be.

Anyway... Here are the pictures:

100_0154.jpg

100_0155.jpg

100_0157.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

scatterbunny

Re: Baby in Marathon (photos)

Aww, what a cutie! :love:

Great pics to show that some babies will fit in a Britax convertible (and others) from birth. The lowest slots aren't terribly far above her shoulders, the straps adjust snugly. My little one wouldn't have fit until 3+ months old (she was only 4# at birth) in a seat with 10 inch bottom slots, but she would have fit some convertibles with lower bottom slots at 5+ pounds.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Awwwww, she's precious!

And of course I love the blue harness with the Fido seat :thumbsup:

*I* think the harness fits fine...some might not be in love with the 'belt geometry', but she doesn't look like she's moving out of that seat in any crash....

:love:

Jeanum

Staff member

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your little one's carseat pictures. :love:

Stretchy Glue

The only problem I see is that the chest clip is too wide fir teeny tiny cuties. No fault on your part at all, but it actually spread the harness out. It seems like most convertibles need an infant chest clip that is just a tad narrower, instead of as wide as the babies chest.
That's one heck of a torso on that squirt though. Adorable.

scatterbunny

Evenflo's chest clip is quite wide, as well, and IMO causes more of a problem (i.e. spreading harness too far apart, so it slides off the shoulders) than the Britax chest clip. While it might appear wide to us visually, is it really hindering a good fit? I don't personally think so. The straps are exactly where they should be. :twocents:

MomToEliEm

She is adorable and the seat seems to really fit her pretty well. I would never have thought that seat would fit a 6 week old that well.

UlrikeDG

The chest clip doesn't spread the straps (i.e., it's not wider than the harness slots). It just keeps them exactly in line with where they come out of the slots before letting them angle down toward the buckle.

I do dislike that clip, however. It's very square and pushes on little chests. In fact, the only time my 4 year old ever complains about her straps being too tight is when the chest clip is bothering her.

The clip on my new Roundabout is more countoured. However, the square one is easier to unbuckle one handed. I'm hoping the Roundabout clip will get easier as I get used to it, but on our first outing, I had a very hard time getting it undone in a hurry.

Stretchy Glue

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with it, it just seems so wide to me. I think most of the infant seats have super wide chest clips, and yes Evenflo's chest clip is insanely wide! I can see that a floppy infant on a long ride might make themselves adjust too much. It also seems silly that the same size of chest clip that we use on kids in a Husky/Regent is being used on 6 week old who fits, (and often younger who don't). This is just a thought I had on chest clips in general. If a 5 pounder would really fit in that seat (which would take an awfully tall 5 lber) that chest clip would be really wide. Even my dd at 2 days old and 5 lbs was very small for the old paperclip style chest clip on her infant seat.

crunchierthanthou

I do dislike that clip, however. It's very square and pushes on little chests. In fact, the only time my 4 year old ever complains about her straps being too tight is when the chest clip is bothering her.

The clip on my new Roundabout is more countoured. However, the square one is easier to unbuckle one handed. I'm hoping the Roundabout clip will get easier as I get used to it, but on our first outing, I had a very hard time getting it undone in a hurry.

yeah, it's kind of a trade off between shape and ease of opening. Don't worry about the RA clip. Before long you won't even notice that you have to squeeze both sides. :) It definitely works for one handed operation. If not, I think I'd be okay with the parental decision to use the old style on the RA. :twocents:

UlrikeDG

I think comfort will outweigh ease of use, even if it doesn't work out to be one-handed with time. I suspect it will just take some getting used to, however, and then it won't be an issue, anyway. I really wish I could just take the chest clip off. That's one of the things I really liked about the FPSIV: no chest clip!

melniemi

She is adorable! And she fits better than my dd fit in the ma at 4 months! I like the little, contoured chest clip on the keyfit for babies.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member

The chest clip doesn't spread the straps (i.e., it's not wider than the harness slots). It just keeps them exactly in line with where they come out of the slots before letting them angle down toward the buckle.

It doesn't spread them, but it does keep them farther apart on the chest then they would lie without it (as you can see in the 3rd pic). Definitely not unique to Britax, but one of the problems with convertible seats properly fitting newborns.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC