Baby paralyzed after crash

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
That was the first thought that crossed my mind as well, but that article is all I have found so far and it does not have much information.
Renee

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
She was on the news a week or so ago. She was actually in a lap belt :( Her grandmother was the one driving, and she was on the news saying how horrible the drivers of the garbage trucks are. The anchorman said the garbage truck was pulling onto the road, and she was going 45+ in a residential area, and tried to whip around him but rear-ended him.

scatterbunny

Grandma driving recklessly (IMO, 45mph in a residential area, trying to pass the garbage truck is reckless), 18mo in just a lapbelt, ugh. :mad: I wonder how the poor baby's mother is doing? :(

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Grandma driving recklessly (IMO, 45mph in a residential area, trying to pass the garbage truck is reckless), 18mo in just a lapbelt, ugh. :mad: I wonder how the poor baby's mother is doing? :(

:yeahthat: 45 in a residential is appalling to me. If the facts are correct, then Grandma played a major role in that situation. :(

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
:yeahthat: 45 in a residential is appalling to me. If the facts are correct, then Grandma played a major role in that situation. :(

I'm not sure how they are doing--after I saw the news I searched for a story but didn't find anything. It sure seems to me that grandma was at least partly responsible...with the high speeds, improperly restrained child, reckless driving etc. They showed the poor baby in the hospital all hooked up to machines :crying: and to think the whole incident was completely avoidable.

crunchierthanthou

She was on the news a week or so ago. She was actually in a lap belt :( Her grandmother was the one driving, and she was on the news saying how horrible the drivers of the garbage trucks are. The anchorman said the garbage truck was pulling onto the road, and she was going 45+ in a residential area, and tried to whip around him but rear-ended him.

okay, that seriously made me sick to my stomach to read. :mad: :(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Did it mention how the other child was restrained? The article says the older daughter, Victoria, had a facial laceration and broken pelvis. Those injuries sound consistant with a lap belt only too.

Good call.... maybe, like most little kids not in boosters, she put the shoulderbelt behind her back to be more comfortable?

Stretchy Glue

Okay, I need to watch the news more. That's awful. I hate how they're trying to pin the blame on the garbage truck driver. All fingers point to grandma. Terribly sad though.

Lea_Ontario

45 in a residential area - and rear-ending a garbage truck - I can't see how ANY of the responsibility lays with the garbage truck driver at all.

And an 18-month old in just a lap-belt is nothing shy of neglectful (IMNSHO)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
45 in a residential area - and rear-ending a garbage truck - I can't see how ANY of the responsibility lays with the garbage truck driver at all.

I agree completely.

chelle80

ITA!! If it is found to be the GM fault, she should at least be charged with negligence (IMO).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC