Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Anyone else in the Fairfax County, VA area?

For such a wealthy county, there doesn't seem to be much going on here in the way of seat checks. I'm newly certified, and would like to get involved. If anyone is "in the loop", please let me know. I had my training in Rockville, so that's part of my problem as far as not knowing the local network.
    Certified CPS Tech
    DD #1: 7, 52 pounds, Recaro Vivo
    DD #2: 3, 29 pounds, Britax Wizard

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Anyone else in the Fairfax County, VA area?

We used to be, although we're not there anymore.

The Fairfax County Fire Department did a lot of safety checks at the Babies R Us in Chantilly - at least they did when my DH managed there. Depending on where you are in Fairfax, that's a bit of a drive, lol, but you could try calling over there and asking for the name/# of the person who BRU liasons with to do those seat checks and getting in touch with her. (I don't remember her name off the top of my head or I'd just PM you, lol). I know they do seat checks in other parts of the county also - usually through the police or fire stations, so you could also try calling your local fire station and asking. There are a decent number of police officers in Fairfax County who are certified (although I'm not exactly sure through who or what - I think Safekids).

Anyway, I have no idea how much help that is, but hopefully it helps a little bit.
    Sarah
    Sydney 5 1/2 - Turbobooster * Levi 4 - FF Marathon * Reid 2 1/2 - RF Graco MyRide

Found you a couple of links:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/sheriff...safetyseat.htm

You could try emailing them?

http://usa.safekids.org/state_displa...ition_state=va

Safe Kids Fairfax County is listed on that page...I've never met Regla but while we were in the NICU she installed a few of the other parents' car seats and did a great job from what I could see!
    Sarah
    Sydney 5 1/2 - Turbobooster * Levi 4 - FF Marathon * Reid 2 1/2 - RF Graco MyRide

Senior Community Member Mattkarn's Avatar

I live in Fairfax county, but I am not a tech. If I ever need my seats checked I would drive up to MD, I haven't been able to find any seat checks closer.

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

I also live in Fairfax County, but I am not a tech.

There are usually checks in Falls Church and Chantilly each summer.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

CPS Technician

Thanks. Regla's not the coordinator anymore. It's another woman, and I've been playing phone tag with her. Also, I believe the fire department has stopped doing checks. It's just the police now. Mattkarn- maybe I'll be able to help you one day.
    Certified CPS Tech

CPS Technician

I'm in FFX. There are seat checks pretty regularly. PM me and I can give you the name of our coordinator and she'll put you on the email list. We will be having an ask the expert session Jan 12th (let me check the date on that, but I'm pretty sure that is it) at BRU in Chantilly. Official checks are on hold until the weather warms up.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/sheriff...safetyseat.htm

She lists them here when they come up...if she remembers. Get on the email list. It is the best way to stay involved. She's warming up to us 'mommy techs'. Most of the techs in the area are cops.
    Paula, CPST and mom to Sage (5/08/03) Kai (2/27/06) and Rowan (2/26/09)

CPS Technician

Thanks! I actually talked to her last week, and I have a note about the BRU seat check on the 12th. I don't know if I'll be able to make it or not yet. I'm glad there are other mommy techs who go. Helping people at BRU would be great since I normally go in there and just have resist giving unsolicited advice to everyone in that isle.
    Certified CPS Tech

Senior Community Member Mattkarn's Avatar

Maybe, but right now I'm not to worried. Both the kids I watch regulaly are using boosters. They are 4.5 (50lbs, 44 in.) and 7.5 (56lbs, 51in) and are in Vivos.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizasmom View Post
    Thanks! I actually talked to her last week, and I have a note about the BRU seat check on the 12th. I don't know if I'll be able to make it or not yet. I'm glad there are other mommy techs who go. Helping people at BRU would be great since I normally go in there and just have resist giving unsolicited advice to everyone in that isle.
    Ugh, I know exactly what you mean.

Although, if you do hear an employee give bad advice, ask to speak to the manager on duty and nicely report them
    Sarah

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ksera05 View Post
    Although, if you do hear an employee give bad advice, ask to speak to the manager on duty and nicely report them [/SIZE]
    I have done that. Only one time did the manager take it seriously.

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

CPS Technician

Ha! I don't resist. I will also actively disagree with the employees who are giving bad advice.

Oh, and I (and a few others) do some private checks for preschools, etc. If you would like to be involved in that, let us know as well.

Have you contacted Sully or Franconia Stations? They do fits once a week or so, although they may be on hold for the holidays. I haven't volunteered there just b/c they do them at night and I can't work that with my schedule right now, but they may love to have some extra help. I have names and numbers if you need them.
    Paula, CPST and mom to Sage (5/08/03) Kai (2/27/06) and Rowan (2/26/09)

CPS Technician

I Would love to be involved with the checks you and others do for preschools. Is there a senior checker at these events? I’ll send you my contact info
    Certified CPS Tech

Hi! I'm in the area... I'm a tech but I also have a hard time finding checks. For such a populated area, there just aren't many. I'm scheduled to set something up for DS's preschool and am trying to coordinate with a local officer who does seatchecks on his own. They do them *often* out in Loudoun County, however - that's where I did my training. Great folks out there!

DS|2002|FF in Britax Frontier 85 and Graco TurboBooster
    DD|2007|FF in two Britax Frontier 85's