Anyone else in the Fairfax County, VA area?

Elizasmom

For such a wealthy county, there doesn't seem to be much going on here in the way of seat checks. I'm newly certified, and would like to get involved. If anyone is "in the loop", please let me know. I had my training in Rockville, so that's part of my problem as far as not knowing the local network.

ADS

serabi

We used to be, although we're not there anymore. :(

The Fairfax County Fire Department did a lot of safety checks at the Babies R Us in Chantilly - at least they did when my DH managed there. Depending on where you are in Fairfax, that's a bit of a drive, lol, but you could try calling over there and asking for the name/# of the person who BRU liasons with to do those seat checks and getting in touch with her. (I don't remember her name off the top of my head or I'd just PM you, lol). I know they do seat checks in other parts of the county also - usually through the police or fire stations, so you could also try calling your local fire station and asking. There are a decent number of police officers in Fairfax County who are certified (although I'm not exactly sure through who or what - I think Safekids).

Anyway, I have no idea how much help that is, but hopefully it helps a little bit. :)

Mattkarn

I live in Fairfax county, but I am not a tech. If I ever need my seats checked I would drive up to MD, I haven't been able to find any seat checks closer.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I also live in Fairfax County, but I am not a tech.

There are usually checks in Falls Church and Chantilly each summer.

Elizasmom

Thanks. Regla's not the coordinator anymore. It's another woman, and I've been playing phone tag with her. Also, I believe the fire department has stopped doing checks. It's just the police now. Mattkarn- maybe I'll be able to help you one day.

Cedarmom

I'm in FFX. There are seat checks pretty regularly. PM me and I can give you the name of our coordinator and she'll put you on the email list. We will be having an ask the expert session Jan 12th (let me check the date on that, but I'm pretty sure that is it) at BRU in Chantilly. Official checks are on hold until the weather warms up.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/sheriff/news/safetyseat.htm

She lists them here when they come up...if she remembers. :p Get on the email list. It is the best way to stay involved. She's warming up to us 'mommy techs'. Most of the techs in the area are cops.

Elizasmom

Thanks! I actually talked to her last week, and I have a note about the BRU seat check on the 12th. I don't know if I'll be able to make it or not yet. I'm glad there are other mommy techs who go. Helping people at BRU would be great since I normally go in there and just have resist giving unsolicited advice to everyone in that isle.

Mattkarn

Maybe, but right now I'm not to worried. Both the kids I watch regulaly are using boosters. They are 4.5 (50lbs, 44 in.) and 7.5 (56lbs, 51in) and are in Vivos.

serabi

Thanks! I actually talked to her last week, and I have a note about the BRU seat check on the 12th. I don't know if I'll be able to make it or not yet. I'm glad there are other mommy techs who go. Helping people at BRU would be great since I normally go in there and just have resist giving unsolicited advice to everyone in that isle.

Ugh, I know exactly what you mean.

Although, if you do hear an employee give bad advice, ask to speak to the manager on duty and nicely report them :) :whistle:

Cedarmom

Ha! I don't resist. ;) I will also actively disagree with the employees who are giving bad advice. :eek:

Oh, and I (and a few others) do some private checks for preschools, etc. If you would like to be involved in that, let us know as well. :)

Have you contacted Sully or Franconia Stations? They do fits once a week or so, although they may be on hold for the holidays. I haven't volunteered there just b/c they do them at night and I can't work that with my schedule right now, but they may love to have some extra help. I have names and numbers if you need them. :)

Elizasmom

I Would love to be involved with the checks you and others do for preschools. Is there a senior checker at these events? I’ll send you my contact info

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Hi! I'm in the area... I'm a tech but I also have a hard time finding checks. For such a populated area, there just aren't many. I'm scheduled to set something up for DS's preschool and am trying to coordinate with a local officer who does seatchecks on his own. They do them *often* out in Loudoun County, however - that's where I did my training. Great folks out there!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC