Virginia Good Samaritan Law- need help finding it!

Elizasmom

Can anyone tell me where I can find the text of this law online? I’d really like to read it. I have read that VA is one of the few states that enacted a law specifically protecting CPS techs, but I can’t find it anywhere. I read it passed in 1998. Thanks

ADS

Elizasmom

Thanks, but I don’t think so. There’s supposedly something out there specific to techs, and this doesn’t mention them. It may be called “immunity” rather than Good Samaritan. I can’t find it anywhere. So frustrating.

Elizasmom

That might be it, but I really thought there would be specific mention of CPS techs. If that is it, I don't feel it offers much protection, but that's better to know up front. I will definitely want to get insurance if I do checks alone. Thanks for all your searching.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Page 5 says
Good Samaritan Immunity Does NOT Apply To…
•Volunteers who render aid off-site from the emergency
•Volunteers who render aid to non-injured, healthy individuals
•Volunteers who otherwise give their time at free clinics•Volunteers who render aid in situations other than those specifically mentioned in the Act

So maybe that is not it. AZ has a good samaritan laws, but it does not protect very well from what I have been told. I purchased liability insurance through hpso.com. I got it under healthcare educator with a CPST rider on it.

Cedarmom

The VA law I think specifically mentions cpsts. I have it written down out in my car, but it is cold and I don't know you well enough to go get it right this second. I will tomorrow, though. :cool:

Elizasmom

Ok, well I'll look forward to hearing from you when you have a chance to get it. I'm so glad just to know it mentions techs. Maybe I'll be able to find it online with the info from you. Thanks for your help!

Cedarmom

I had forgotten it was this specific. I opted not to get personal liabliblity after reading this.

It is Code 8.01-226.5

Any person who has successfully met the minimum required training standards for installation of child restraint devices established by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the United States Department of Transportation, who in good faith and without compensation installs, or inspects the installation of, a child restraint device shall not be liable for any damages resulting from an act or omission related to such installation or inspection, unless such act or omission was the result of the person's gross negligence or willful misconduct.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+coh+8.01-226.5+401362

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC