I'm getting a Toyota Corolla, 08 or 09?

Auntie2Avi

I have decided on a Toyota Corolla. I usually drive alone/with Avi and since I am in school right now and working P/T I am going to save up and if/when I am married in a few years with more than one child I can "upgrade" to a bigger car. As much as I LOVE the Camry I will be better off with a smaller car (or so my parents tell me). My issue is that Toyota is coming out with the 09 Corolla in February 08. There are going to be different models and they will have a few more options, some that I would like in a car. The estimated price is not out yet, but for a fully loaded Corolla now it is around 16K. I am not sure what to do, whether I should wait until February and get a 09 or get an 08 now. My car needs $800 in repairs and should not be driven now, but I could take my brother's car and he can get rides for a month+.

Help!! I want to get a car now rather than wait, but this is such a tricky situation!!

Thanks

ADS

Connor's Mom

I loved my 03' Corolla! It was a great car until an old guy not seeing me crossed 6 lanes of traffic to run me off the road into a telephone pole.
You might want to check with Toyota, they may be able to get you a ball price figure on the 09'. But I will tell you from experiance, when a new model comes out that early in the year and is totally re-designed they useally go up on the MSRP and the dealers will not take much off the sticker price when selling the car. Had that issue with our 04' Maxima. it came out in June of 03' and we paid dang near sticker for it. :thumbsdown:

jdchic3

If you're going to be ultimitely happier waiting and getting the extra features that you want, then I'd wait. My philosophy is that when you're purchasing a new vehicle (meaning off the lot) then it's worth it to get exactly what you want.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
The 2009 has more standard features, but will probably be a bit pricier. If I were you, I'd probably wait for the new model.

The 2009 Matrix looks really neat, too.

skipspin

Also, if you wait and decide the newer model is too $$ or isn't worth it, the "old" models will have great discounts/rebates because they will want to get rid of them!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The standard safety equipment on the 2009 model would probably be worth the wait if at all possible, based on the blurb I found about it at http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=123245

All Corollas get standard front and side airbags, as well as side curtain bags. Antilock brakes are standard on all models, and stability and traction control is an option on lower grades.

Side curtain airbags are optional in the '07/'08 model and finding one equipped with them in stock now could be pretty hard. The local Toyota dealership didn't have any Corollas equipped with the curtain airbags back in August when we were car shopping for DH.

southpawboston

i can think of two reasons to wait a bit and go for an 08:

for one thing, once the new 09's start hitting the dealerships, you may be able to get a great clearance deal on the remaining 08's. also, february is a great time of year to get a great deal on a car... period.

secondly, you may want to stick with an 08 because the 09s will be hot off the assembly line and new models tend to have minor "bugs" that take time to get worked out. ideally, you want the model that you're interested in to have been around for at least one full model year. this varies, but if you check the TSB lists for new model cars, there's always a lot more TSBs issued for first-year models than for subsequent years.

on the other hand, i've had brand new models their first year out and have not had major problems with them. and there's also the novelty factor-- being the first one on your block with a brand new model is a nice feeling. :)

Auntie2Avi

Well the Toyota dealership which is about 20 minutes away has a 08 Corolla LE with side curtain air bags on the lot and the woman is going to discount it pretty nicely so I am going to go for it. The only feature I really like about the 09 is the bluetooth, but I don't think it is worth waiting another 2 months for that. I am going to ask them which model they recommend, and get one factory installed. The woman is discounting the car nicely and giving me 1/2 off the extended warranty and other options. And it is silver, which I love!! YAY!! I will post pics of the DC in my new car, as well as me/Avi. Now I need to figure out how to keep the seat clean from his dirty shoes!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC