Interesting example about putting baby in a car seat!

tl01

Last night, DH, DS, and some other family members decided to go to a light show you watch while driving your car. I remembered that someone had posted here about whether or not it would be safe to take a child out of a car seat so they could see better during the show (of course I know it is unsafe). I asked DH if we should turn DS FFing for the show as we would be going very slowly and he is 20 months. DH said we should just hold him on our laps. I of course objected and DH said I was crazy and paranoid... he said we'll be going slow.. blah blah blah. I said that everyone would be distracted by the lights and they might not be looking where they are going. Long story short, we kept DS RFing b/c we didn't want to risk him not wanting to go back to RFing afterward. While we were in line waiting to start the show, someone ran into another car in the lane next to us. We had almost picked that lane but chose the other one at the last minute. I called DH on the phone to let him know what had happened (he was in our other car) and of course he thought I was being rude and telling him "I told you so!". He still thinks was I being ridiculous but I don't care.

As a side note, I was surprised to see that light show had an area where you could pull over and stop at the end of the show to put your child back in their seats. I guess they are almost encouraging people to take their kids out of seats for the show:(

ADS

tl01

Probably only about 5-10 mph... but I still wouldn't want to have my child on my lap at even that speed. What I would be most concerned about would be people hitting the gas instead of the brake while watching the lights.

wondering1

The stat I was given in defensive driving class, was that death typically doesn't occur until about 60 mph for a properly restrained passenger, but can occur as slow at 5 mph for unrestrained passengers. Unfortunately, I just took it at "face value" at the time and didn't ask for any type of details or reference.

Good for you for sticking to your conviction!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
The stat I was given in defensive driving class, was that death typically doesn't occur until about 60 mph for a properly restrained passenger
I haven't heard this -- I've learned, though, that people have died in crashses at only 12 mph.... Also my last defensive driving instructor taught that risk of death doubles each 5 mph increase over ~55. I absolutely encourage people to take the course at least every 3 years, but each time the instructor has said some funny/off sounding information: it would be wonderful if they were actually willing to let us look at the curriculum outline that they follow while leading the course :whistle: just so I could trust them about quotable stuff like this (because all of them have been really wrong about basic carseat laws) :thumbsdown:

Synchro246

I haven't heard this -- I've learned, though, that people have died in crashses at only 12 mph.... Also my last defensive driving instructor taught that risk of death doubles each 5 mph increase over ~55. I absolutely encourage people to take the course at least every 3 years, but each time the instructor has said some funny/off sounding information: it would be wonderful if they were actually willing to let us look at the curriculum outline that they follow while leading the course :whistle: just so I could trust them about quotable stuff like this (because all of them have been really wrong about basic carseat laws) :thumbsdown:

How are the instructors made?
Perhaps you should consider becoming one of those too :whistle:

JerseyGirl'sMama

OMG! I was the one who had originally asked the question and I am so glad we did not go. It goes to show, you just never know what will happen.

tl01

OMG! I was the one who had originally asked the question and I am so glad we did not go. It goes to show, you just never know what will happen.

Surprisingly, DS was able to see almost everything while RFing in his Radian. We purposely put him in the car with the Radian b/c the sides don't stick out as much as our Como's do. Really it wasn't a problem at all:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC