How far back from the vehicle's seat back can I install the BV?

ZephyrBlue

Lately, my DS (he'll be 3 in April-rf in a BV) had been complaining about his legs hurting and pushing his legs against the vehicle seat back and fussing, etc. My DH (who is totally on board w/ERF) said that DS's legs really seem to have gotten longer in the past 2 months or so and that if he's going to be miserable and his legs are bothering him, we really should turn hin FF. I noticed that his pants are all too short, so I agree that he's had a leg-growth-spurt. I was wondering if I can install the BV further away from the vehicle seat back, and then use the RF tether to stabilize it- so the LATCH straps will be much longer since the seat is further away from the anchors, but I'll provide some counter-traction w/the tether and snug the seat that way, make sense? If not, I'm thinking that we're going to have to turn him FF before he's 3, and I had my heart set on keeping him RF until then, at least. He's 28lbs fully dressed with shoes.

So, can I install the seat as described above to give him more legroom? I've seen Sweedish seats I think installed the way I want to do mine- but I'm not sure my seat was designed to be safe installed that way. :)

ADS

crunchierthanthou

You can only pull it back an inch or two. You need to have a tight installation before you attach the rf tether. The Swedish seats that you see with so much leg room for older children also have a foot prop under the back of the base.

You might find he has more room if you make it a bit more reclined (up to 45 degrees). While it is safer for an older child to be more upright, a 45 degree recline is still safe, and definitely more so than turning him ff.

lovinwaves

You will need to have the seat installed tightly BEFORE you install the top tether. If you pull the seat away from the seatbite you are going to end up with a more upright install which in turn means he will have less leg room.

Have you considered a Radian? I just switched my Marathons to Radians, and I am shocked by how much more rear-facing leg room the kids have.

Of course, if you just install the Marathon more reclined then you will have more leg room that way too :) Instead of pulling it away from the seatbite, try shoving it into the seatbite more and giving it more of a recline before you tighten your lower anchor straps.

ZephyrBlue

Thanks ladies. I did try reclining the BV more, but he just strains his neck forward all the time, trying to sit up straighter.

Melissa, he did great sitting in his sister's Radian RF while I was waiting on a new BV cover; he had WAY more legroom than in the BV. But he's outboard in my minivan with no side curtain airbags, and I do not feel comfortable having him in the Radian in that seating position. I didn't before I read Defrost's opinon on the lack of side impact protection on the Radian and I sure don't now that I read what she wrote, LOL!

If only the side walls of the Radian were deeper, ugh!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'm honestly not concerned about the so-called lack of SIP in the Radian. I need to get out my measuring tape, but there is not that much difference between the Marathon and the Radian in terms of SIP... maybe an inch or so (I realize the Blvd is different due to the head wings).

You need to remember that SIP also comes in terms of a 5 point harness. That alone is going to keep a child in position and will give them decent SIP.

Mel is right... the seat needs to be installed correctly *before* you attach the top tether. Pulling it away from the seat bight will encourage a more upright install and give much less leg room.

I turned Mikkel FFing in October due to leg room and winter boots. ;) He is just shy of 28lbs and 35" tall (maybe taller, I haven't measured in awhile). He had already been moved from his Marathon into a Radian rearfacing to give him extra leg room back in the spring... however, now I need the Radian FFing for a different situation and he can't have it rear facing any longer. Which means he's back in the Marathon and he is really scrunched up when RFing in that seat now... so he's FFing in the Marathon. At 2.5 years old, I'm perfectly fine with him being FFing.

ZephyrBlue

Thanks Jen, I do feel better about a tech turning their child FF at 2.5 when thinking about turning my similar sized/aged child :)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I won't add anymore then everyone else already posted. Just wanted to say I had to turn K2 at 2.5yrs old also due to leg room and she was really close to hitting the weight limit. She is very tall and carries her height more in her legs. I too am okay with a 2.5yr old being turned ff'ing.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Um, yeah... I have re-thought my opinion of the SIP on the Radian. :sorry!: When I first got it, we played with it in several different vehicles, one being the VW Golf. I put it outboard, and dd's only ever ridden in a MA in that car. It was a lot lower than the MA, of course, and looked so much shallower - it was the comparison between the two that made me nervous.

I wasn't thinking "Dang, that looks dangerous!" I was thinking "Wow, that is a LOT different than the MA which I absolutely adore and feel so comfortable with!"

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC