Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Question How far back from the vehicle's seat back can I install the BV?

Lately, my DS (he'll be 3 in April-rf in a BV) had been complaining about his legs hurting and pushing his legs against the vehicle seat back and fussing, etc. My DH (who is totally on board w/ERF) said that DS's legs really seem to have gotten longer in the past 2 months or so and that if he's going to be miserable and his legs are bothering him, we really should turn hin FF. I noticed that his pants are all too short, so I agree that he's had a leg-growth-spurt. I was wondering if I can install the BV further away from the vehicle seat back, and then use the RF tether to stabilize it- so the LATCH straps will be much longer since the seat is further away from the anchors, but I'll provide some counter-traction w/the tether and snug the seat that way, make sense? If not, I'm thinking that we're going to have to turn him FF before he's 3, and I had my heart set on keeping him RF until then, at least. He's 28lbs fully dressed with shoes.

So, can I install the seat as described above to give him more legroom? I've seen Sweedish seats I think installed the way I want to do mine- but I'm not sure my seat was designed to be safe installed that way.
    11yo DD *69lb* Backless Turbo
    8.5yo DD *45lb* High Back Turbobooster/Pink Monterey
    6yo DS *43lb* Cowmoo Parkway SG/Lizards In Line Turbobooster
    2y4m DD*24lb*RF in an Alma MR 65 and Kathryn RA 55

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Re: How far back from the vehicle's seat back can I install the BV?

You can only pull it back an inch or two. You need to have a tight installation before you attach the rf tether. The Swedish seats that you see with so much leg room for older children also have a foot prop under the back of the base.

You might find he has more room if you make it a bit more reclined (up to 45 degrees). While it is safer for an older child to be more upright, a 45 degree recline is still safe, and definitely more so than turning him ff.

You will need to have the seat installed tightly BEFORE you install the top tether. If you pull the seat away from the seatbite you are going to end up with a more upright install which in turn means he will have less leg room.

Have you considered a Radian? I just switched my Marathons to Radians, and I am shocked by how much more rear-facing leg room the kids have.

Of course, if you just install the Marathon more reclined then you will have more leg room that way too Instead of pulling it away from the seatbite, try shoving it into the seatbite more and giving it more of a recline before you tighten your lower anchor straps.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Thanks ladies. I did try reclining the BV more, but he just strains his neck forward all the time, trying to sit up straighter.

Melissa, he did great sitting in his sister's Radian RF while I was waiting on a new BV cover; he had WAY more legroom than in the BV. But he's outboard in my minivan with no side curtain airbags, and I do not feel comfortable having him in the Radian in that seating position. I didn't before I read Defrost's opinon on the lack of side impact protection on the Radian and I sure don't now that I read what she wrote, LOL!

If only the side walls of the Radian were deeper, ugh!

I'm honestly not concerned about the so-called lack of SIP in the Radian. I need to get out my measuring tape, but there is not that much difference between the Marathon and the Radian in terms of SIP... maybe an inch or so (I realize the Blvd is different due to the head wings).

You need to remember that SIP also comes in terms of a 5 point harness. That alone is going to keep a child in position and will give them decent SIP.

Mel is right... the seat needs to be installed correctly *before* you attach the top tether. Pulling it away from the seat bight will encourage a more upright install and give much less leg room.

I turned Mikkel FFing in October due to leg room and winter boots. He is just shy of 28lbs and 35" tall (maybe taller, I haven't measured in awhile). He had already been moved from his Marathon into a Radian rearfacing to give him extra leg room back in the spring... however, now I need the Radian FFing for a different situation and he can't have it rear facing any longer. Which means he's back in the Marathon and he is really scrunched up when RFing in that seat now... so he's FFing in the Marathon. At 2.5 years old, I'm perfectly fine with him being FFing.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Thanks Jen, I do feel better about a tech turning their child FF at 2.5 when thinking about turning my similar sized/aged child

CPST Instructor

I won't add anymore then everyone else already posted. Just wanted to say I had to turn K2 at 2.5yrs old also due to leg room and she was really close to hitting the weight limit. She is very tall and carries her height more in her legs. I too am okay with a 2.5yr old being turned ff'ing.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Um, yeah... I have re-thought my opinion of the SIP on the Radian. When I first got it, we played with it in several different vehicles, one being the VW Golf. I put it outboard, and dd's only ever ridden in a MA in that car. It was a lot lower than the MA, of course, and looked so much shallower - it was the comparison between the two that made me nervous.

I wasn't thinking "Dang, that looks dangerous!" I was thinking "Wow, that is a LOT different than the MA which I absolutely adore and feel so comfortable with!"
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!