I helped another woman in a parking lot

brightredmtn

She was parked next to me and I saw that her DS was only buckled in by his chest clip to a very old looking seat. I had an internal monologue going "do I say something, do I leave it alone?" Finally after pacing behind my car for a few minutes I decided to approach her. She took my unsolicited advice quite well! Her DS was six and had Downs. She wanted to keep him in a harness. Now the wheels were spinning in my head thinking that if he was six, there is no way the seat he was approved above 40lbs. I told her about HWH seats and she asked where she could buy one. I told her online would probably be cheapest but suggested that since her DS was special needs she might qualify for some help. She seemed low income and damn now I wish I had known the organization that helps with HWH seats. I asked for her email address so I could do some research for her but she didn't have one. I did find in my diaper bag a card for a car seat safety organization in my area so I gave that to her. Hopefully she'll contact them and they can help her out.

I was really quite impressed by how receptive she was to the nosy stranger in the parking lot.

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I hope she gets some assistance. Last I heard the Kyle David Miller Foundation was not taking new applicants, but she could check there. Glad she was willing to listen to you :thumbsup:

Mama!

Awwww good for her for wanting to keep him harnessed!

If she's low income she might already have some state assistance . I know in some states there are programs that automatically help pay for equipment.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
In my state, if she qualified for the state insurance program (medicaid) and her son was SN, then she could have qualified for them to buy her a HWH/SN seat. I wonder if your state offres anything like that?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC