HELP....my car door doesn't latch when I try to close it!

Amaris

A little background: I have a 2005 Ford Expedition and we live just outside of Buffalo NY. When it's cold here like it is today the driver's door doesn't latch when I try to close it. I'm sure someone here will know what I'm talking about, but the little thing on the door isn't latching around the bar on the side of the car. Is there anything I can do or do I have to take it to someone? We do have an extended warranty so if it's covered under that it won't cost anything.

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I just asked dh he says there is a plastic coat in there that sometimes gets jammed. You may be able to get it unstuck with a screwdriver. Or you can drive to AZ and he says he will fix it...LOL

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
That sometimes would happen to me in the winter on my cars whenever moisture/freezing rain got into the door mechanism and cause the latch to freeze up/get stuck, especially if the car was parked outside, or had recently gone through the car wash. Slamming the door a few times, or some lock de-icer spray stuff (can't remember the exact product name, an auto supply store or automotive dept. in a big box store probably has several products of that sort) would usually get it working again. My Dad sometimes would resort to a blow torch or cigarette lighter to thaw frozen latches or door locks on an old beater car he used to drive in the winter, but I think that's probably going a bit too far if other options are available. You would have to be careful not to ignite/scorch anything, especially if you're using alcohol based or petroleum based lubricants or de-icer sprays. :eek:

If it still won't latch after the tips suggested in the thread, then maybe there is something that the dealership could do/replace.

Morganthe

try spraying some WD40 into the latch mechanism, and operating the door handle a few times. that may free it up...

This would happen to my Passats in German winters all of the time. It's something to do with the latch of the lock on the side of the door not talking with the door handle.
Lube where the key goes + the internals mechs in the actual lock area where the door latch is. It will eventually loosen up and work properly.

I use spray cooking oil like Pam or a generic brand. Works better as a lube than WD-40 without all the nasty chemicals. It's my secret weapon for squeaky doors, any gears, and stuck metal fittings. Easy to find in the house and never gets lost. :thumbsup:

In fact, I saved my mom from a plumber's visit last week after a pipe broke under her bathroom sink and everything was frozen with rust. She's allergic to WD-40, so that was out of the question. Within 1 minute, everything was free turning to shut off that sink's water line instead of the entire rest of the house. :)

good luck & hth :thumbsup:

Amaris

Thanks for the suggestions......I'll definately try something to lubricate it! Probably start with wd-40 since dh has tons of the stuff laying around, right beside duct tape usually! :whistle: If it happens again I'm definately taking it in though. The article about the doors coming open during a crash is scary.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC