Safe View Back-Up lens-- anyone have this? (safety opinions?)

CPS_obsessed_EMT

Senior Community Member
I recently bought this product from OneStepAhead.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog...Id=85183&categoryId=85215&subCategoryId=86206

Backing up is a huge anxiety producer for me, and although I know it's no substitute for actually checking and backing up slowly, I just thought it would make me *feel* better to have the extra backup.

I just got it in the mail, and it had a warning on the box about not being allowed by some states.

Does anyone have any info regarding if there are any safety issues with this, or why it might be outlawed?

When I put it in my back window, it is perfectly clear and doesn't seem to "obstruct" my normal view at all. It acts the same way as one of those bubble windows on store ceilings, and it only takes up a small portion of the window (it's about the size of a small book)

I would love to have an actual back up camera, but I thought this would be an affordable compromise for me.

Thoughts? Opinions?

P.S. I just wanted to emphasize again, that I would not allow this to be a substitute for actually walking around the vehicle and slow backing, but sometimes even if I've just walked around my car before getting in, and went to back up, I've had to wait for a car driving by or some other random distraction and worry in that few seconds a child could dart behind me. (anyone else this paranoid? :eek: )

ADS

southpawboston

i love the idea of this thing. i believe cpsdarren got a larger one from an RV supply shop.

the only reason i can imagine that it *may* be illegal in some states is because it does distort your view out the back window, and some states have laws against obstructing your windows with *anything* (e.g., stickers).

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I think the lens is great, but you do want to check your state laws. I can obstruct the view of someone looking from the outside in.

We have 2 backup camreas we got for Christmas 2 years ago and we still have not installed them. Maybe one of these days DH will get around to it.

sirrahn

I've had a similar one on my Sienna since shortly after we bought it 3.5 yrs ago. Sadly, right around that time a family at the church where my kids have gone to MDO buried their 18 month old after the dad backed his SUV over her.

I think it helps a lot. It definitely gives me more confidence changing lanes and backing up in tight spots.

I played around putting a bucket in different places on my driveway to get a feel of exactly how close up I could see short things with it. It gets pretty close, but of course still a good idea to really check if there's any chance a small child could be anywhere near.

As far as I know there are no legal issues with it here at least.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I've had one since last summer in my Sienna and like the improved rear view of closer objects. I posted about it in the older thread a previous poster linked to up above. I also added a set of round blind spot add-on mirrors on my van's side mirrors (the round mirrors were included with the back up lens when I ordered it online). I haven't heard anything about the backup lens being illegal in my area (Michigan). I've had police cars behind me a few times with it fairly obvious in my van's back window. I haven't been pulled over or ticketed at any rate. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC