Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

mec

Question Minivan, SUV, or Crossover?

I'm looking for a new car & can't decide if I should get a minivan, suv or crossover? First of all, I don't really understand crossover. From their pictures they look like suv's. Are they safer? Are minivans more convienant than crossovers if you have small children in carseats? Do crossovers give you similar features to the minivans, but with a cooler look? I have a few friends who started with suv's, but moved to the minivan (they said b/c it's easier for them with little kids). But all 3 of my sister-in-laws think I'm crazy & say they wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan. Although, their needs are different. Of course safety is a big concern of mine. Are SUV's still considered dangerous? Do they still have a higher rollover rate than the minivan? Do people prefer minivans when the kids are little & then move to suv's? What do people with children really like? I'm new to this forum & have read some of the threads & they've been helpful, but I still had questions. Sorry so many questions, but I'll have this car for a long time so I'm trying to get educated prior to going to the dealer. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Mary

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I recently read a new report from the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety that said SUVs are still quite dangerous - the Blazer being the worst {glad I got rid of mine!}.... Hope these links help!
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

mec
    Thanks. I found a lot of helpful info from the links you provided. It helped me to compile a list of what safety features I want in a new car. Now I'm more prepared & ready to start looking.

In general, the car-based SUVs and Crossovers are very safe. The unibody chassis tends to crumple well and absorb energy better than truck platforms. Also, the car based designs often handle better, too. The independent suspensions and lower center of gravity of these models usually gives them better resistance to rollovers. Top models for safety include those like the Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Chrysler Pacifica, Nissan Murano, Honda CRV, etc.

Minivans have the added advantage that they weigh a little more than the mid or small sized SUVs. They are also based on unibody chassis and that extra weight is usually an advantage in head on crashes with other vehicles.

All that said, even many truck based SUVs are greatly improved over just a few years ago. If you equip them with side curtain airbags, stability control and a rollover airbag sensor system, many are also very reasonable choices.

Even so, with kids you might find the sliding doors and seating flexibility of many minivans are big advantages, too.

By comparing the IIHS and NHTSA ratings of current vehicles, you can start to weed out those with poor crash test results, few available advanced safety features or a high rollover rating.

Good luck in your search, and feel free to post if you want comments on your final choices.

CPST Instructor
    This might help, I just purchased the Buick Terraza (Chevrolet's version is the Uplander) and love it. The Terraza is a CSV (crossover sports van). In reality its a van with a SUV look. The van I traded in was a chevrolet Venture and the Terraza does feel heavyer and has a great ride with plenty of room.
    Robert