Oldy but a bady

ADS

Chameleon

Why do think it's yuk? It was actully one of the best seats out on the market back in the day. I rode in one as a baby and I'm 26 going on 27. I rode in it Rear-facing and Forward facing and it also had a tether strap which my parents used. :thumbsup: Some people didn't even use carseats half as good as those if any. It was a Strollee and that one looks to be in pristene condition. When I go home for the holidays, my dad is pulling out our seats that he still has in the attic for us to look at. I'm amazed he still kept them after all these years. I'll take pictures for sure. We also had the bars in front.

jdchic3

Does it have a 5-point? I could swear that's like what I rode in! We used the tether too. My parents had an anchor installed in our 85 Ford Tempo.

Jordynsmama

They had a lot going on for it being that old. Evenb some sip it seems. And the harness looks decent. Where does the seatbelt go? Through the back?? The fact that it has a tether is cool!

Mylilboyblue

OMG that is the carseat my mom had for me! I'm 25. She had the one without the bar. Yes it was a 5 point harness (she told me) and it did have a tether anchor. For being something made back in the day it was pretty good. Some of the more "modern" Evenflo's and Century's weren't as good as this one was (everything being relative of course). Memories. :p

ZephyrBlue

Looks very much like the seat my parents had for me in the early 1970's! Kids I babysat had the Strolee with the full OHS in the late 1980's, it was a nice seat for what it was back then.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I had one like that for DS#2 who is now 15 yo. It was a handme down complete with duct tape. I tell him regularly he should be greatful to still be here since I did not know all this car seat stuff back then.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I had one similar to that...in black. I remember seeing it in my parents attic...I'm sure it's gone by now. I was born in 1978.

Susan

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I was born in 1977 and I just emailed that photo to my mom asking if that was our seat. It was blue, and I distinctly remember sitting in it (with the bar, we had a little steering wheel a la Maggie Simpson on it), and sitting next to it while my brother used it. It sat high, on metal bars.

My mom had a 1976 Ford when I was younger (till my dad wrapped it around a tree, talk about being lucky. I was in the back in the middle, but my younger brother was in the front passenger seat and his head hit the tree. He was fine). She had tethers put in and when my brother came along and I went into a booster (rubber no back) she got me an H harness. I rode in that booster until I was 6 when I finally hit 40 pounds. She was very ahead when it came to carseat safety back in the day.

I heard back from my mom. That was it! Thanks! I'd been wondering for a few years now. LOL

Wendy

Last edited:

Michi

I remember that seat!
(My aunt lived with us for awhile when my cousin was a baby, and they had that seat for her!)

Dillipop

Here is the one I bought at my church yard sale for $2. DOM was 1979 and it was pretty nasty! But looks like a cool seat. (It has since been destroyed and sent to carseat heaven...aka the dump!)

Five point harness
IMG_0892.jpg

Tether
IMG_0886.jpg

Buckle
IMG_0884.jpg

brightredmtn

That was my seat too (I was born in 1977)! I emailed the picture to my mom and she confirmed, she said the bar was like putting me into a ride at Disneyland. Just looking at the pictures of it I can totally remember it in the back of her 1970 VW Camper.

Well actually this wasn't my seat on my ride home from the hospital. I rode in a laundry basket for two weeks before my mom could convince my cheap father that I needed a car seat.

CRS

Senior Community Member
Isn't it amazing that something so old has a tether! I've come across a few (i.e. picked them up on the side of the road so no one else uses them) in the past year or so. Very interesting piece of history I suppose you could say.

Suzibeck

The Strolee Wee Care was the first seat I ever bought! Mine was a newer version with a full shield, but it was removable and I removed it. It did have a 5 pt harness but no tether:( I think I bought it back in the late 80's. It was the only 5 pt harness I could find and that just seemed safer to me. Then, not knowing better, I bought a cloth cover for it since it had vinyl. I've learned a lot since then, but for being young, with no kids of my own, I was pretty savy I guess. That thing was installed rock solid and I remember being frustrated at the rear adjuster because I used it with different kids and had to uninstall, adjust harness and reinstall every time.

Mama!

I had a brown one just like that!!

My parents tried to be so conscientous with me:thumbsup:

steph

I had one like that but it was blue (I'm 27)!!!

My Mom kept me in it until 4 or so :thumbsup:

beebear23

Senior Community Member
I have a pic. of me riding in the black one. teehee.. I was born in '77 also.. though by the time I actually sat in it, my cousins had used it first.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I would love to have one of those (not for actual use of course!)!!!!!! These are the same carseats that go me addicted to carseats many many moons ago. I remember them well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC