LATCH question on 2000 Nissan Maxima

annb

Does LATCH only work in 2002 or later model cars? Our 2000 Nissan Maxima has car seat bracket things in the rear window, and this is where I put the Roundabout tether, but I was wondering then if that is what can be used with carseats that have LATCH or if I have to install w/ a seatbelt?
Or maybe someone can explain it better to me, since we purchased both the car and carseat prior to things being called LATCH and I'm not quite sure what the difference might be between what we have and what we don't have if that makes sense.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
You have a top tether anchor. That is a very important safety feature for models like your Roundabout when they are used front-facing. If you are rear-facing, there are other options for tethering.

Very few 2000 vehicles had LATCH. LATCH refers to the combination of that top tether anchor along with the newer lower anchors that were required in 2003 vehicles. You cannot retrofit the lower anchors in the Maxima, so you will use the seatbelt for installation combined with the top tether.

Also:

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

A

ATO

Retrofitting LATCH to Maxima 2000

I bought two tether anchors made by Safety 1st and I was considering drilling two holes directly in the body of my Maxima 2000 to get a LATCH system. I am wondering why CPSDarren says that LATCH cannot be retrofitted to the Maxima 2000. After all, it is about two holes directly on the metal structure of the car. Thanks.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The lower anchors of the LATCH system cannot be retrofitted into your vehicle. These are specially designed bars that mount at an exact spacing into the seat bight between the seat cushion and seat back. They require specific parts and seat frame reinforcement. Such retrofits are generally not available for any vehicles that did not include them from the factory. You may contact your Nissan dealer or Nissan customer service ( 800-647-7261) for further information.

A 2000 Maxima should have three top tether anchors standard in the rear filler panel. As I stated, top tethers are a part of the LATCH system but are distinct from the lower anchors. Before lower anchors were required by federal law in late 2002, top tether anchors were standard or optional in many vehicles since 1989.

It should not be necessary to drill holes to add any additional top tether anchors. 1989 to 1999 Maximas did not have them standard, but Nissan has a kit that can be used to easily add the anchors without any drilling. This Nissan specific part number is 88894-89900 and is highly recommended over a generic part supplied by a child restraint manufacturer. The generic anchors such as those made by Safety 1st are for use as top tether anchors only in vehicles where the manufacturer does not supply a vehicle specific top tether anchor kit. If your 2000 Maxima did not have top-tether anchors, you should contact your dealer for the correct Nissan parts kit and determine why your 2000 did not include them as a standard feature. Top tether anchors, generic or specific, are not intended for use as lower anchors in any situation. You should contact the manufacturer if you have any questions in this regard.

Also:

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

If you would like more technical information about the installation of custom anchor locations, I highly suggest consulting the reference on this topic before performing modifications that could impact the safety of a child:

http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_manualA.htm

A

ATO

How to best use the belt option

CPS Darren - thank you for the very detailed reply. You are very thorough. I looked at my Maxima 2000 and noticed that if I were to drill to create a LATCH system, the location were the bolt would go would need reinforcement. So, I will not do that, but instead switch to fixing the issue I have with the belt. The chair is an Evenflo Vanguard 2005 model and when the belt is used to secure the seat, everything is fine for the first 2-3 trips. However, by tilting the chair when we pick up the child, the upper part of the belt shortens and some of it gets through the part that goes into the buckle; problem is, if I push on the chair, that part of the belt does not come back easily and the chair remains slightly tilted, so I have to reinstall it properly again. Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening? Can I tie the upper and lower part of the belt (opposite to the side that goes into the buckle) somehow that the chair is kept solidly on the back seat of the car? Is the chair the problem or the belt? Many thanks.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Well, slight tilting is fine -- as long as the seat does not move more than 1" when installed & at least 80% of the base is in contact with the vehicle seat....

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
From your description, it sounds as if your seatbelt is not locked or the locking mechanism may not be holding tightly over time. It is difficult to say for sure without seeing in in person; a trip to see a certified technician would probably be the best alternative.

You can also try Heather's great page on locking in a child restraint:

http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC