TC-CIN-Children’s car seats and booster cushions: How long are they safe?

santecno

TC-CIN-Children’s car seats and booster cushions: How long are they safe?

TP 14563—Consumer Information Notice

Child Restraint Systems
2007-C10 E
December 13, 2007

Road Safety
Information: 1-800-333-0371

Children’s car seats and booster cushions: How long are they safe?

All children’s car seats and booster cushions now sold in Canada have an expiry or useful life date on them. Manufacturers do this to warn buyers not to use them too long. People using children’s car seats and booster cushions past their expiry or useful life date, do so at their own risk.

Manufacturers give an expiry or useful life date because over time:

frequent use and exposure to sunlight can damage plastic;
labels on the products fade or become hard to read;
safety instructions have likely been lost;
food, cleaners, drinks and other materials that have been spilled or used on webbing, buckles, adjusters and other parts may prevent them from working safely;
the history or condition of the car seat or booster cushion becomes hard to check (was it in an accident, was it stored in a place or in a way that caused damage to parts, etc.?);
safety regulations and standards may have changed, so safer products may now be on the market; and
second or third hand owners may not get product recall notices if safety problems arise.

In Canada, all provinces and territories require infants and toddlers to be buckled up in the appropriate car seat. Several provinces also require booster cushions for children who have outgrown a child car seat but are too small for a regular seat belt. The provincial and territorial laws also say that the children's car seats and booster cushions must be certified to Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and must be used according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you don't, or if you use them past their expiry or useful life dates - you may be found guilty of breaking the law.

Listed below, in alphabetical order, are the manufacturers who sell car seats and/or booster cushions in Canada, the brand name and the useful life period of their products. Depending on the make or model, they can be used safely for five to eight years. Transport Canada strongly advises parents and caregivers to follow all of the manufacturer’s instructions and respect the expiry or useful life dates.

Here is the chart: http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6673/carseatlifeex9.jpg

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Re: TC-CIN-Children’s car seats and booster cushions: How long are they safe?

"if you use them past their
expiry or useful life dates - you may be found guilty of breaking the law."

Love that! A bit extreme, but I support the concept behind it.

-Nicole.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member

"if you use them past their
expiry or useful life dates - you may be found guilty of breaking the law."

Love that! A bit extreme, but I support the concept behind it.

-Nicole.

How about your children could be harmed? Isn't that *slightly* more important than breaking the law? :rolleyes: (at the government - not you ;))

snowbird25ca

Finally! I'm doing a happy dance here. (Not literally, but close. ;))

This will be a huge help to getting expired seats out of circulation. So many parents check TC's site, see 10yrs, and think it's ok to keep using the seat past the expiry date.

Now if only they'd issue a notice about keeping kids rf'ing to the limits of their seat. That would be awesome! :cool: (I know they say not to be in a hurry to rush to the next stage on their site, but a formal notice would make it so much easier - print it off and hand
it out.)

QuassEE

You would think it would be.

"That's unsafe."

"That's ILLEGAL!"

In my experience, the latter gets more attention from parents. And here in BC, it really shouldn't--since it's perfectly legal to drive a 20lb baby without a child restraint so long as they're buckled into a belt. Legal, but not safe.

-Nicole.

Jewels

Senior Community Member

It would be nice if TC website would say to go by the manufacturer. It still says to replace a seat once the expiry is met and if there is no expiry after 10yrs :rolleyes: Although maybe they will change this as I didn't even see the notice up yet, unless i'm looking in the wrong spot :confused:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/childsafety/1234/stage3/menu.htm#When to replace
When it reaches the expiry date.

If there is no expiry date, replace a seat that is ten years old.

snowbird25ca

Does anyone have the actual link for TC's website yet? It's not listed in their usual notices section yet... Or is it not "live" until later today?

p.s. There is kind of a "that's unsafe" in there. ;)

People using children’s car seats and booster cushions past their expiry or useful life date, do so at their own risk

I think this is just such a huge improvement over the old ancient notice and that the official info on their website now finally backs up what professionals are saying - and will make those professionals who have felt TC's original notice more important than manufacturer's expiry dates, have to fall in line. :whistle:

snowbird25ca

It would be nice if TC website would say to go by the manufacturer. It still says to replace a seat once the expiry is met and if there is no expiry after 10yrs :rolleyes: Although maybe they will change this as I didn't even see the notice up yet, unless i'm looking in the wrong spot :confused:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/childsafety/1234/stage3/menu.htm#When to replace

Hopefully they'll update that too. Although that link is from the 1-2-3-4 car time brochure isn't it? I guess in some aspects it makes sense to put the wording like that since they do say to go by the expiry date first, and some seats only have the expiry date in the manual, so if a parent wasn't looking at the chart and didn't otherwise know what time limit the manufacturer specificed, at least they wouldn't continue to indefinitely use the seat. :shrug-shoulders:

atthehip

Hello,
Can you give me the link for this article? I took a look at Transport Canada and couldn't seem to find it.

The list of manufacturers included a note that Graco booster cushions would have an expiry date starting in 2008. What does that mean before then?
Thanks!
Cindy

snowbird25ca

Hello,
Can you give me the link for this article? I took a look at Transport Canada and couldn't seem to find it.

The list of manufacturers included a note that Graco booster cushions would have an expiry date starting in 2008. What does that mean before then?
Thanks!
Cindy

I didn't see the article yet either, but sometimes there's a slight delay between TC releasing the info to instructors/officials and the info showing up on their website. The 2007-C10 E is what the notice # will be when it shows up. It should also show up word for word as what was quoted in the initial post. (This happened with the eddie bauer/alpha omega 3in1 recalls, we were all aware of it hours before it showed on the website. :thumbsup: )

As for the Graco, I'm wondering if the booster only seats didn't have an expiry on them before? You'd have to look at your manual to see if your's did - although if you have a combo seat, it's already included in the 6yrs - a combination seat is denoted by the C/B abbreviation on the chart. :)

QuassEE

Do you guys realize just how creepy this is? It's almost like Transport Canada is reading what we're saying here... If it weren't for the fact that we know that release had to take a year of red tape and revisions to be published, I'd think they were publicly replying to this thread or something...

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC