help with installing Graco Passenger infant car seat?

U

Unregistered

I have a 2 week old infant who is a bit under 8 lbs. We installed the Graco Passenger infant car seat according to the instructions, but my son slumps over in it, which I don't think is safe because his airway could be blocked. The car seat comes with a built-in level to ensure the right recline, but it seems to me the seat needs to be reclined more to keep the baby from slumping. What should I do? As it is I don't feel like we can drive without a second adult in the car holding the baby's head up.

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The level indicators can be anywhere between 30 - 45 degrees with most of them falling somewhere around the 40 degree mark.

If you look at the side of the carseat you will see a ridge/line that follows where the babies back is. You want that line to be 45 degrees from the ground.

If you are having trouble eyeballing the 45 degree angle, then take a piece of paper and fold it into a triangle. Match the ridge/line of the carseat up with the 45 degree angle of the paper and make sure the bottom of the paper is level with the ground.

You can lower the foot on the base to achieve a more reclined seat OR you can use up to 3 pool noodles taped together in a pyramid shape to get the right angle OR you can roll a towel up tightly to help achieve the right recline angle. If you use the pool noodles OR the towel, they would get placed under the base in the bight of the vehicle seat (where the vehicle seat back meets the vehicle seat bottom).

As the baby gets older and moves into a convertible seat, any angle between 30 - 45 degrees is fine (most like to be closer to 30 degrees), but right now you are correct with thinking that your baby *needs* that 45 degree angle.

lovinwaves

Removing the headrest (if it came with one) can also help. There should just be two snaps that you undo.

Then, if you want, can roll up two small receiving blankets, and lay on each side of the babies head. Just be sure the blanket don't go over the babies head. Keep them along the sides. :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Also make sure the harness is snug ( the harness should fit like the band of your bra, with no gaps or loose areas) and that baby's butt is all the way back in the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC