Chicco Keyfit

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbs2

I was looking for reviews on convertibles and noticed that our extremely wonderful infant seat was never reviewed. :(

I wouldn't consider myself qualified for an in-depth review, but I wanted to share my opinion.

We bought the Keyfit late 2006 (or was it early 2007) for our daughter who was born in Feb. After nine months, she's getting close to the suggested height (28.5" of the 30" listed), and will likely be too tall in the next couple of months.

Before we took it in to be reviewed by a CPS tech, I took a stab at installing it on my own. When the install was reviewed, my only failure what that I didn't get it quite tight enough. I figure that wasn't too bad for first time stab at installing a car seat.

When my daughter was born, she was pretty average sized (I think) at 7.75 pounds, 21.5". The infant insert made it easy to get her in snugly. Many of my friends with other car seats ended up using after-market inserts with their car seats - which is fine, but was a cost to factor in. Getting her in and out was not a challenge with straps that were long enough to make it easy to roll her out.

One thing that some may view as a negative, but I see as a positive is that the more common "hook" design that you see on most car seats that allow you to rest the seat on shopping cart handles and such is absent here. As resting the seat up there is not the safest place for your kid (take a stroller, infant carrier, or put the car seat in the cart's basket), this helps you resist temptation.

Skip to the end...

Getting the seat in and out of the car has gotten easier as time has gone by, as early on, it was a bit sticky trying to get the seat out of the car. I don't know why that was. Sometimes I would have to pull the lever switch thing a coupe of times, tug a little, push the seat down, and hope for a miracle. Now, it's just easy in and out.

The seat is certified to be driven with the handle in any position, which is nice since in our little Civic it's tough to get the handle down.

Well, like I said, I'm not one for good in depth reviews, as I tend to ramble on about little things and miss important ones. And, I have to run and stop my daughter from driving my wife crazy. I'll try to post more later, but would love to hear more from the more qualified here.

ADS

melniemi

Just wanted to add a bit since I also have this seat.

First off, after-market inserts to make baby more snug in the seat are NOT okay. They have not been tested with the seat and may cause way too much slack in the harness.

The manual states 30" as the maximum height, unless there is more than 1" of hard shell above the child's head, then it may be used longer.

The 'hook' for snapping into shopping carts was intentionally not put on the Chicco Keyfit as it is not safe to put carseats perched atop a cart. I also see this as a positive - as many parents do perch their infants' seats on the cart. I put mine in the back of the shopping cart or in the snap and go stroller.

I love my Chicco Keyfit carseat. It installs like a dream in the captain's chair of my Chevy Venture. I had it checked by a tech and it was installed perfectly. It doesn't move at all. I have also installed it in a Nissan Murano and that worked perfectly as well.

My dd was 6 pounds 15 ounces at birth and 19 1/2 inches long. She fit wonderfully with the infant insert. She used the infant insert until 2 months of age when she was 10# 11 oz. The infant insert can be used up to 11 pounds and with clothes, she was that. She still uses the head support at 11 months. She is now 17#s and 27" at 11 months and fits great. She has a good 3 inches of carseat shell above her head.

The straps adjust very smoothly, making it easy to make them tight enough and easy to loosen to take baby out. The cover washes up beautifully and Chicco allows it to be put in the washer and dryer which is a plus!

I have not had any issues with the seat sticking in the base. It has snapped in and out perfectly every time I've used it. I love this seat and recommend it to everyone I know that is looking for an infant seat!

sb518

No car seat is intended to be on top of a shopping cart. The manuals that I have read specifically say to NEVER to use the seat in that manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC