Side Impact Testing

melniemi

Which carseat companies test in side impact crashes? Is Britax the only one? Recaro...Compass??? Just curious. It influences my decision on seat purchase:p

ADS

scatterbunny

Yes, all of those (Britax, Recaro, Compass, Safeguard). I think also Jane.

Not sure about Sunshine Kids? I am loving the looks/sounds of the Monterey.

melniemi

OOOOHH! So the True Fit will have the additional crash testing. Yay! I like that about Britax and if the slots are high enough, the True Fit will definitely be up for consideration:love:

scatterbunny

Well, I just know the B510 and newer generation Compass boosters have the additional SI testing; I'm not 100% sure other Compass seats are. I'd assume so, but I can't be positive. Sorry! :(

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The fact that a company "side impact tests" their seats doesn't mean that the seat necessarily provides great or even good side impact protection. There is no SIP testing standard, and these companies are not releasing their testing data. They could be testing simply to verify that the seat doesn't crumble on impact, not to ensure that fewer deaths or head injuries are likely.

southpawboston

The fact that a company "side impact tests" their seats doesn't mean that the seat necessarily provides great or even good side impact protection. There is no SIP testing standard, and these companies are not releasing their testing data. They could be testing simply to verify that the seat doesn't crumble on impact, not to ensure that fewer deaths or head injuries are likely.

not necessarily true. there is a side impact standard, just not in the US. the EU does have one, and it is part of the new ECE R44/03 standard. i don't know the specifics, but i know it exists. i believe that all recaros, including the new ones introduced this year, comply with both the US FMVSS 213 as well as ECE R44/03. i don't which european countries require their seats to comply to that standard, but i know the UK does.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
not necessarily true. there is a side impact standard, just not in the US. the EU does have one, and it is part of the new ECE R44/03 standard. i don't know the specifics, but i know it exists. i believe that all recaros, including the new ones introduced this year, comply with both the US FMVSS 213 as well as ECE R44/03. i don't which european countries require their seats to comply to that standard, but i know the UK does.

However the standard does not exist here and we have no way of knowing if *all* of these companies are conforming to that same standard... so it doesn't really help with comparing the booster seats *here*.

southpawboston

However the standard does not exist here and we have no way of knowing if *all* of these companies are conforming to that same standard... so it doesn't really help with comparing the booster seats *here*.

i never implied that all companies comply to that standard (plus, the OP wasn't referring to boosters, or canadian seats, just seats in general :p). i was just pointing out that there *are* standards out there, so if you can find a seat in YOUR country that complies with a particular standard of interest from another country, then great! plus, you never know. check your carseat manual. my US signo, como and YS all say it right on the front page.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
i never implied that all companies comply to that standard. i was just pointing out that there *are* standards out there, so if you can find a seat that complies with a particular standard of interest, then great!

I guess I misunderstood you (since the op was looking for ways to compare SIP boosters). Thanks for clarifying. :)

melniemi

Thanks for that input southpawboston! You always have an interesting comment on things that are more technical! I appreciate it.

I was looking for info on SIP for all seats. I need a booster for my son but will also need a seat for my dd. Since I will be purchasing 3 seats in the next 6 months, if the True Fit meets expectations, it is a contender!

Thanks everyone. I love all that I learn here! My dh has decided that carseats are my hobby and that he shouldn't pick on me about that anymore:p His hobby is tractors so he sits on his forum almost as much as I check in here!:rolleyes:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I fully agree with Ulrike's statement & truly believe that the best carseat is that which is always used correctly, even if the company hasn't performed any SIP testing -- however, when I do have the financial means to choose between a seat by a company that does not perform any SIP vs. those that do, I would personally choose the seat that has had some measure of SIP testing done.... Always assuming, of course that it actually fits my child + vehicle correctly ;) Correct use always trumps expensive fancy features so no parent should feel bad for not choosing a more expensive option, especially if they don't have the means to do so :) It seems you've already got the answers to your original question, though so I won't beat a dead horse any longer :p

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
One final point: if your vehicle has side curtain airbags, those will help protect children in car seats as well as other passengers.

melniemi

I am quite sure we do not have side airbags. That is partially what prompted my initial question! Thanks!

arly1983

Melniemi,

This bothers me as well:

Our van does not have side curtain airbags and I will be driving on the Atlanta interstate weekly when we move.

melniemi

Arly - your kids are both harnessed yet and will be for years to come! You are lucky in that respect. I am going to get a regent for my 6 yo soon here and want a new, better booster for my 7 yo. I have learned too much and it scares me!!
Good luck with your move. I'm glad I don't have to drive on the interstates unless I travel far!
By the way, what seats do you have now?? I'm curious how your son will fit in the True Fit because I believe he fits the marathon the same as my son, with 1/2-1 inch left to grow? My son wants the 'blue seat' rather than the regent because "brown just really isn't my color"!! But I don't know if I'd get my money's worth out of a True Fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC